First Visit

Treborz

Hi, I'll be making my first visit to Chiang Mai in a couple of weeks (26, Male) and was wondering if anyone could reccomend specific treks that they have done. I know there are a lot out there and i'm finding it hard to decide.

In addition, any area with some nice bars in the evenings?

I've got 4 nights there. Would it be worth making a day trip to Chiang Rai maybe?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!

Chiang Mai is great !

Riverside area has some great bars & restaurants (Riverside Bar has live band most nights, Gallery is great but a bit pricey). If you want to try some mostly Thai places there is Monkey Club, and a good nightclub called Warm Up (bit of a younger crowd there).

There is the Night Bazar area near Centara Duangtawan hotel with plenty of bars and open air restaurants, then there are the areas near Tapae Gate.

Basically, CM is not all that big, its really really easy to get around without any worries - its so different from BKK, you will have a ball !

Not sure about treks, but make sure you try some Northern eats... Geang Hang Lay (Burmese pork curry) and in the mornings try Cow Soi for breakfast (yellow chicken curry with noodles). AROI MAK !

As for Chiang Rai, thats another must, try La Luna hotel.

Enjoy !

JSW

Four nights in total including the trek? A decent trek would be something like two or three nights in itself.

I reckon get yourself to Chang Dao, to the north of Chiang Mai, and do a trek organised from Chang Dao Nest (guesthouse). Some dodgy trekking firms in CM that will tell you you're going near the Burma border and such like, when in reality you're just out of town. Don't rely on TAT recommending registered treks either as it don't mean squat. Chang Dao Nest also has some nice, affordable bungalows at the foot of Chang Dao mountain but don't eat there unless you've got deep pockets.

Wouldn't bother with Chiang Rai for the sake of it as there's not much there as a city and is a bit of waste ot time unless you had lots of it.

Loi Kroh Road in the centre of town for the tarty bars; Nimmanhemin Road (west of town towards the mountain) for the nicer local ones. Also a fairly decent mix of bars just within the old city along Ratwhithi Road, including raggae style (backpacker with buffets) and expat ones with guinness (UN Irish) nearby. :o

Hi, I'll be making my first visit to Chiang Mai in a couple of weeks (26, Male) and was wondering if anyone could reccomend specific treks that they have done. I know there are a lot out there and i'm finding it hard to decide.

In addition, any area with some nice bars in the evenings?

I've got 4 nights there. Would it be worth making a day trip to Chiang Rai maybe?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!

If I was 26 years old and only had a few days, I would not bother with Chiang Rai. Although it is a beautiful part of the country, it is a sleepy little town with minimal night life.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Traborz,

Welcome to Chiang Mai :o

Trekking : You may want to consider that you are coming in the near-bloody-hottest time of year, and a time of air pollution in the larger cities, and, to some extent, general haze and air pollution in the north, here, related to burning for agriculture. It's not a time when I would go trekking, but, hey, you are young !

Strongly agree with other posters that it is best to avoid organized tour companies, or the people in your hotel that are sitting there with a book of photographs ready to plan your stay (unless you have a personal recommendation from someone who has used their services recently, or have found recent very positive feedback about them on the Lonely Planet travel forums or other sites where travellers post reviews).

I second Khun JackR's recommendation of the Chiang Dao area as a conveniently close to Chiang Mai place to get outdoors and have some fun and see some natural beauty.

Some of the most "standardly tourist" things here, like the Elephant show, the Monkey show, the Orchid Farm, the trip up to the top of Doi Suthep, a long visit to the Chiang Mai zoo, are things I recommend to any friends who come over and they usually enjoy them very much, particularly if they have young children; when/if I accompany them I also find myself "reliving" the first time I saw them :D

A small check-list :

1. mosquito repellent

2. eye drops

3. disposable handi-wipes

4. dark glasses

5. hat

6. sun-block cream

7. a few bandages and some disinfectant

8. ear plugs (if going to Riverside or other Thai bars)

9. comfortable, well broken-in shoes, preferably mesh or open toed (sandals like Teva's)

10. light weight cotton socks

11. ibuprofen or paracetimol or aspirin depending on your preference and medical facts

12. waterproof plastic baggy or container for passport

13. waterproof whatever for camera

I find people have such different preferred "modes" of travelling that there isn't any one-size-fits-all advice I can think of for a visit as short as four days : my style is to go to one place and explore it in depth, but I have friends whose modus operandi is to keep up a frenetic constant travelling from place to place, and that works for them.

Above all, keep smiling :D

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

I agree with others here. For such a short stay I'd suggest taking a hike up the Doi Suthep trail for as long or as short as you wish. I already posted some photos of the trail on my thread of "what bird species is this". A good walk around the Chiang Mai zoo is an interesting light workout if you visit all the sites. The zoo is in a big area on the hill below Doi Suthep.

A 7.2 km walk right around the entire mote will give you an idea of the inner city.

There is lots of nightlife of all description easily at hand. As already stated the lady bars are mostly off Loi Khro road on the east side of the mote. The night bazar area is worth seeing ONCE. China town area shopping is where most of the locals go. The China town market is located near the Ping River in the north east corner of the city. The plazas are like plazas everywhere... okay but expensive.

I know a few reputable tour guides, but with such a short stay I'd just visit the city and see what it has to offer. Make a list of what you like for future visits. I'd forget Chiang Rai as there's not really a lot to do unless you have connections and much more time.

A 7.2 km walk right around the entire mote moat will give you an idea of the inner city.

Agree with your other points Ian, but all a 7.2 km walk around the moat will do for you is give you a headache and sore throat from all the vehicle noise and exhaust. I would suggest walking throughout the innumerable sois within the old city to get some idea of how Thai city life is.