Transfer Of Gbp Into Thailand Blocked

My daughter arranged for a transfer of £5K into my foreign currency account last week --- it never arrived. She just checked with her bank in the UK and they said it was blocked by SCB, reason given "The Baht is too low" !!!!!!!!

Any similar experiences or helpful comments?

My daughter arranged for a transfer of £5K into my foreign currency account last week --- it never arrived. She just checked with her bank in the UK and they said it was blocked by SCB, reason given "The Baht is too low" !!!!!!!!

Surely the bank cannot block your transaction because the Baht is low as it has nothing to do with them

and its your money and up to you if you are happy with the exchange rate or not.

That reason is pretty lame. I think a phone call to the SCB wire transfer department is in order.

as its an account held in foreign currency maybe the bank has a minimum amount transfer policy,have to check withSCB.

i dont think exchange rate would come into it cos the money would held in sterling.

Edited by samuibeachcomber

this is acctually normal and all banks worldwide do it. they are free to refuse currency exchange if the local currency is under stress due to inflation (....% of the value of local currency)

what you can do is:

1) open a forien currency acount in your SCB bank

2) change the currency in your own country before sending it to thailand

i use both my self i have a SCB acount in thai bhat and one in euro (this way i transfer usro and can change then when currency rate is good)

or i change my money at my bank and transfer it to thailand in thai bhat

both work fine for me and i always transfer at least 10.000 euro a year to my accounts

hope it helps

Edited by obi1970

this is acctually normal and all banks worldwide do it. they are free to refuse currency exchange if the local currency is under stress due to inflation (....% of the value of local currency)

what you can do is:

1) open a forien currency acount in your SCB bank

2) change the currency in your own country before sending it to thailand

i use both my self i have a SCB acount in thai bhat and one in euro (this way i transfer usro and can change then when currency rate is good)

or i change my money at my bank and transfer it to thailand in thai bhat

both work fine for me and i always transfer at least 10.000 euro a year to my accounts

hope it helps

Obi, you missed the plot. OP already has a foreign exchange account denominated in GBP. SCB refused to credit this foreign exchange account with 5K GBP transferred from UK.

Only one helpful comment: don't let your daughter do your money transactions. The excuse that the baht is too low is simply BS and you can transfer such an ammount anytime. I deal as well with SCB and what you describe is impossible/unthinkable.

Only one helpful comment: don't let your daughter do your money transactions. The excuse that the baht is too low is simply BS and you can transfer such an ammount anytime. I deal as well with SCB and what you describe is impossible/unthinkable.

i second that!

i second that!

Thanks for your input guys -- you echo my opinion in general.

Just wanted to get a consensus before taking it up with SCB on Monday.