60 Day Visa

Slight hicup in the office today when a customer returned from Laos with only a 15 day stamp on his passport. He claimed that he was advised the law had changed and no further 60 day visas at this time. The girls called Chiang Mai immigration and they confirmed this.

Anyone have any further information?

I hope this isn't the new policy. I'm planning on heading to Laos this weekend to get a dual entry visa. It's a long haul just to end up with a 15 day stamp. Anyone out there with additional info please help!!!

The girls called Chiang Mai immigration and they confirmed this.

Gladiator,

Is there any way the girls might have misunderstood and asked CM immigration if they themselves offer 60 day tourist visas? Also, do you know if the customer you referred to has done this particular visa run before?

Not saying that the story's inaccurate. I'm just wondering if there's a chance of some type of mix-up.

Thanks.

Slight hicup in the office today when a customer returned from Laos with only a 15 day stamp on his passport. He claimed that he was advised the law had changed and no further 60 day visas at this time. The girls called Chiang Mai immigration and they confirmed this.

Did he just go to the border or did he apply for a tourist visa at the Thai consulate in Vientiane?

15 days is the visa exempt entry stamp. (Used to be 30, now 15, unless flying from a neighbouring country where you will still get 30 days).

I imagine your friend just had a border visa exempt stamp.

Regarding the double entry as normal, be aware that for a while immigration is giving free single entry tourist visas, so maybe the double entry isnt available at present.

Check up the recent reports on this ongoing thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Vientiane-La...html&st=975

Would seem the double entry is free also: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Double-Entry...an-t251079.html

Edited by eek

15 days is the visa exempt entry stamp. (Used to be 30, now 15, unless flying from a neighbouring country where you will still get 30 days).

Regarding the double entry as normal, be aware that for a while immigration is giving free single entry tourist visas, so maybe the double entry isnt available at present.

Check up the recent reports on this ongoing thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Vientiane-La...html&st=975

Would seem the double entry is free also: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Double-Entry...an-t251079.html

Thanks for the links eek. It's likely as I figured- some mix-up. I agree what likely happened was Gladiator's customer just crossed the border instead of going to the Thai Embassy. This makes more sense.

Wish I would have read your comments about the Chackrapong VIP bus to Udonthani earlier though. I already bought my ticket for this Saturday. Looks like I'll be riding the "shack on wheels". At least I can get my dual entry though. And possibly for free? Me likey!!! :o

Wish I would have read your comments about the Chackrapong VIP bus to Udonthani earlier though. I already bought my ticket for this Saturday. Looks like I'll be riding the "shack on wheels". At least I can get my dual entry though. And possibly for free? Me likey!!! :o

Don't forget to report on your trip.

Good luck on your trip brycat.

Just a few things that may make your trip a little more comfortable. They REALLY turn up that air con ( i mean REALLY!), so i recommend taking layers to put on and a big scarf to wrap around your head and face (seriously..i was so glad i did that) Dont forget some nice warm socks, you will be glad of them im sure. Earplugs (as the bus gets noisy with all the juddering sounds, snoring, etc. The plugs really help you get some kip and its a good idea to try sleep through the journey. Sunglasses or one of those sleeper eye thingys are a good idea too). A torch (sometimes the overhead light doesnt work, plus i find them intrusive for others anyway, so if you like to read or do anything that involves light, a torch is the best bet). Face wipes (i dont know about others, but my face often felt really yucky during that trip. Wet wipes/face wipes helped me to freshen up). Lastly, i do recommend something that you can roll up and use as a pillow, or even one of those inflatable ones. I found resting my head on those seats wasnt so comfy. The bus moves and bumps a lot, so some kind of pillow helps soften that. Plus i dont trust the metal parts on that bus, some damage and bad screws etc.

If you go prepared and knowing its not going to be a great looking bus, i think that helps a lot in making the journey more comfortable.

As jb says, please give a report at the end. Cheers.

Thanks for the links eek. It's likely as I figured- some mix-up. I agree what likely happened was Gladiator's customer just crossed the border instead of going to the Thai Embassy. This makes more sense.

Even though your trip there will be miserable, you can still get back in comfort. Do not take Chakrapong on the way back. As soon as you arrive in U.T., buy a return ticket from the company across from the bus station, next to the noodle shop. They have brand new 24 seat VIP buses that are super clean and comfortable. You must buy the ticket 2-3 days in advance and there is not a bus every day. No English is spoken there. Their number is 042346391. Happy trails.

Even though your trip there will be miserable, you can still get back in comfort. Do not take Chakrapong on the way back. As soon as you arrive in U.T., buy a return ticket from the company across from the bus station, next to the noodle shop. They have brand new 24 seat VIP buses that are super clean and comfortable. You must buy the ticket 2-3 days in advance and there is not a bus every day. No English is spoken there. Their number is 042346391. Happy trails.

Are you talking about the bus station you arrive at in Udon coming from CM?

The last time I returned from Vientiane, I got a direct bus from Vientiane to Udon (arrived at the same bus station as the trip from CM to Udon). I then took a tuk tuk from the arrival bus station to a second bus station in Udon. I remeber the second bus station having a VIP bus but it was sold out by the time I got there.

It would be really convenient if I could just walk across the way and pick up a return VIP ticket when I arrive in Udon (coming from CM). I know what day I'll be returning, so that's not a problem. Please verify which station I can buy the ticket. Thanks

Eek and jb- don't worry I'll make sure to write a report.

Eek- thanks for the list. Think I've got just about everything you recommended!

Gladiator,

Is there any way the girls might have misunderstood and asked CM immigration if they themselves offer 60 day tourist visas? Also, do you know if the customer you referred to has done this particular visa run before?

Not saying that the story's inaccurate. I'm just wondering if there's a chance of some type of mix-up.

Thanks.

Anything is possible, which is why I posted and asked if anyone had any information. Admitedly the customer's mother-tongue was not English. But I asked the manager of the office to confirm what Chiang Mai Immigration had said. Despite another Poster referring this as B.S. - I am only relaying what I saw unfold in the office. I have no desire to rumour-monger and only wish to establish what the situation actually is both as a service to my customers and other TV users.

Tomorrow I will ask the girls to check and clarify.

Gladiator

Gladiator,

Thanks.

Anything is possible, which is why I posted and asked if anyone had any information. Admitedly the customer's mother-tongue was not English. But I asked the manager of the office to confirm what Chiang Mai Immigration had said. Despite another Poster referring this as B.S. - I am only relaying what I saw unfold in the office. I have no desire to rumour-monger and only wish to establish what the situation actually is both as a service to my customers and other TV users.

Gladiator

Just returned from Vientianne - double entry tourist visas from Embassy is available - and is free during this three month period. The numbering system worked well and touts were down in numbers with no costs to tourists seeking visas only thing they could offer was same day approval. Only saw one applicant refused a Visa on pick up time - his Nationality I am not sure of but he was upset - however he was moved out of the area by security as his manner escalated. All the other applicants for double entry visas that i spoke to also received theirs - for free.

indeed, buy your return ticket at udon thani bus station but be aware that the little place that sells them doesn't open until about 8am, so if you have time it's worth hanging around to buy it before heading off to nong khai. alternatively there are travel agencies in vientiane which will sell you a ticket on the VIP bus back including transfer from vientiane to udon etc, but for a bit steeper price of 1,250 baht. does save you a bit of hassle though.

Gladiator,

Thanks.

Gladiator

Just returned from Vientianne - double entry tourist visas from Embassy is available - and is free during this three month period. The numbering system worked well and touts were down in numbers with no costs to tourists seeking visas only thing they could offer was same day approval. Only saw one applicant refused a Visa on pick up time - his Nationality I am not sure of but he was upset - however he was moved out of the area by security as his manner escalated. All the other applicants for double entry visas that i spoke to also received theirs - for free.

No way of telling if this may have been the customer or not.

The girls believe that the customer may have been Italian and for sure he very unhappy and excited. The girls speak excellent English so the language problem was on his side.

Also, I acknowledge, that there may have been a misunderstanding when they spoke to C.M. Immigration.

Still I believe that it is better to have posted and ask for further information even if the current staus quo still exists

Gladiator

seeing as how Tau8 just returned from Vientienne with a 2x tourist visa, looks like everything is all good and this Italian dude just didn't have a clue as how to go about things... I assumed you had actually spoken with this person and had confirmed he'd been to the Thai Embassy in Vientienne and was unable to get the tourist visa...

Good luck on your trip brycat.

Just a few things that may make your trip a little more comfortable. They REALLY turn up that air con ( i mean REALLY!), so i recommend taking layers to put on and a big scarf to wrap around your head and face (seriously..i was so glad i did that) Dont forget some nice warm socks, you will be glad of them im sure. Earplugs (as the bus gets noisy with all the juddering sounds, snoring, etc. The plugs really help you get some kip and its a good idea to try sleep through the journey. Sunglasses or one of those sleeper eye thingys are a good idea too). A torch (sometimes the overhead light doesnt work, plus i find them intrusive for others anyway, so if you like to read or do anything that involves light, a torch is the best bet). Face wipes (i dont know about others, but my face often felt really yucky during that trip. Wet wipes/face wipes helped me to freshen up). Lastly, i do recommend something that you can roll up and use as a pillow, or even one of those inflatable ones. I found resting my head on those seats wasnt so comfy. The bus moves and bumps a lot, so some kind of pillow helps soften that. Plus i dont trust the metal parts on that bus, some damage and bad screws etc.

If you go prepared and knowing its not going to be a great looking bus, i think that helps a lot in making the journey more comfortable.

As jb says, please give a report at the end. Cheers.

Ah, falong women are such wimps when they travel... They actually expect cleanliness!! :o:D:D

Now those Thai gals can sleep anywhere and on anything. :D

Me, I'm a wimp also. Anything longer than 4 hours on a bus is too long for me. I'll spend the extra $100 or so and fly.

incidentally there's a place you always stop on the way to udon at about 2am, can't remember where it is, but it's a big petrol station and food place with a load of toilets that all the coaches stop at. saw the weirdest sight last time when i left the bus for a comfort break and a ciggie which was of a monk in full robes with a canvas bag over his shoulder sparking up what was clearly a big fat joint. he didn't even offer fellow passengers seconds on it either. he finished it off, got back on the bus and promptly fell asleep. very odd.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as fate would have it, I ended up getting a job before I left. I had already purchased my bus ticket to Udon Thani so just decided to go to Vientiane anyway to get my Non-Immigrant Type B visa. Thought I wouldn't have anything to post about the dual entry visa, but I met up with a few fellow farangs on their way to get dual entry visas. So, here are the updates as of 4/1/2009:

1) 60 day/ dual entry visas are still available. Currently, they're free until sometime in early June (the 5th I think). No problems/ hassles getting them.

2) There's a new Thai embassy in Vientiane. I made a run to Vientiane at the beginning of November, 2008 and obtained my visa at the old embassy. The new embassy hasn't been open any longer than 5 months. (Just a little info for those who've been before. I was a little worried when the tuk tuk driver dropped us off, and I was sure I hadn't been to that particular embassy before.)

3) The new embassy also has a new queue system (relative to the old embassy in Vientiane). There is still the unavoidable horde of people lined up outside. The difference now is everybody queues up only to get a number. They call your number; you go hand in your paperwork/ passport; then they call your number again to go pay inside. We got there at the absolute worst day/ time (Monday at 8:30 am right when they opened the gates). I was number 210, and still made it out in 2 1/2 hours. The number system makes it nice, because you can step out and get a bite to eat if you have one of the later numbers. No more waiting in line for an hour or more just to hand in your paperwork. Very nice!

Now, to follow up on the VIP bus for CM to UT through Chackrapong:

Everything that I've read about this company was true. The VIP bus was, at best, a first class bus. (I think it bordered along a 2nd class category.) The seats were very uncomfortable. It also seemed like the bus was constantly making unnecessary stops. Never had to use the toilet, so I've got no opinion on that. The bus also passed the typical halfway stop where everyone gets off and you can use you meal ticket. Instead, they collected the meal ticket when they passed out orange juice boxes. <deleted>??!!!

Unfortunately, I was forced to take Chackrapong on the way back as well. It wasn't a whole lot different except they did stop at the midway point so we could get food. I also took a couple sleeping pills that knocked me out, so the return was better because of it.

Summary: Dual entries tourist visas are still available in Vientiane. Avoid taking Chackrapong bus company at all costs. If you have to travel with them, take pills to drown out the misery of the ride!

Well, as fate would have it, I ended up getting a job before I left. I had already purchased my bus ticket to Udon Thani so just decided to go to Vientiane anyway to get my Non-Immigrant Type B visa. Thought I wouldn't have anything to post about the dual entry visa, but I met up with a few fellow farangs on their way to get dual entry visas. So, here are the updates as of 4/1/2009:

1) 60 day/ dual entry visas are still available. Currently, they're free until sometime in early June (the 5th I think). No problems/ hassles getting them.

2) There's a new Thai embassy in Vientiane. I made a run to Vientiane at the beginning of November, 2008 and obtained my visa at the old embassy. The new embassy hasn't been open any longer than 5 months. (Just a little info for those who've been before. I was a little worried when the tuk tuk driver dropped us off, and I was sure I hadn't been to that particular embassy before.)

3) The new embassy also has a new queue system (relative to the old embassy in Vientiane). There is still the unavoidable horde of people lined up outside. The difference now is everybody queues up only to get a number. They call your number; you go hand in your paperwork/ passport; then they call your number again to go pay inside. We got there at the absolute worst day/ time (Monday at 8:30 am right when they opened the gates). I was number 210, and still made it out in 2 1/2 hours. The number system makes it nice, because you can step out and get a bite to eat if you have one of the later numbers. No more waiting in line for an hour or more just to hand in your paperwork. Very nice!

Everything that I've read about this company was true. The VIP bus was, at best, a first class bus. (I think it bordered along a 2nd class category.) The seats were very uncomfortable. It also seemed like the bus was constantly making unnecessary stops. Never had to use the toilet, so I've got no opinion on that. The bus also passed the typical halfway stop where everyone gets off and you can use you meal ticket. Instead, they collected the meal ticket when they passed out orange juice boxes. <deleted>??!!!

Unfortunately, I was forced to take Chackrapong on the way back as well. It wasn't a whole lot different except they did stop at the midway point so we could get food. I also took a couple sleeping pills that knocked me out, so the return was better because of it.

Summary: Dual entries tourist visas are still available in Vientiane. Avoid taking Chackrapong bus company at all costs. If you have to travel with them, take pills to drown out the misery of the ride!

You were warned before-hand and were also given the number of a very good bus company for the return trip.

You were warned before-hand and were also given the number of a very good bus company for the return trip.

You don't know the circumstances of my return. I stopped in Nongbualampu for two days on my way back. I had no option but to take Chackrapong from Nongbua. People wanted an update. I gave an update. Don't jump to conclusions, dude!

You don't know the circumstances of my return. I stopped in Nongbualampu for two days on my way back. I had no option but to take Chackrapong from Nongbua. People wanted an update. I gave an update. Don't jump to conclusions, dude!

I'm not jumping to any conclusions.

I'd be wary of buying my return ticket at Udon on arrival. If you have a problem in Vientiane and get held up it would be easy to miss the bus.

Also speed is of the essence to get from the bus to the Thai embassy before visa applications close. I've done it twice and catching the Nong Khai bus, getting to the bridge, queuing up at Thai and Lao immigration then getting to the embassy has cut things fairly fine if you want to get your application in and pick it up in time to get the bus back the next day.

That's what scares me! Nobody wants to be stuck any longer than necessary. BTW-I left my hoodie on my seat. Hope someone gets some use out of it! Also, we had a flat about an hour after the weird stop at the petrol. Took about an hour to get the tire fixed. Bathroom is fine, but tiny, and I mean tiny!! Your "meal" coupon gets you a bun and either water or a milk box...

I'm not jumping to any conclusions.

Hmmm.... I suggest you reread your post. It's very clear what you meant and why you wrote it. Given the fact you didn't know what my return trip actually entailed, your comment was a bit uncalled for IMHO. 'Jumping to conclusions' is a nice way of putting it.