Alternative Countries To Retire To!

homeless007

Thanks....Any city names?

WW.

On the coast itself in the west, the places I have stayed-in are Anyer, Carita and Labuan. And just in-land a bit are the small-ish towns of Cilegon and Pandeglang. But there are loads of villages, either on the beach or inland a mile or two. We would spend the week-ends on bikes (MTB and road) in this area and its a lovely part of the world. but its pretty quiet, more so even that rural Isan.

There are restrictions on owning land in Indonesia, I think I will rent when I end up there.

But generally speaking, western currencies go a bit further in Java than Bali / Thailand / Malaysia. I guess when I'm in my 60's / 70's I'll be happy to sit on the verandah, watching the sun go down and keeping an eye out for the family. The fishing from the beaches is pretty good there from all reports. The capital Jakarta is about 1.5 hrs away by car, on a usually quiet toll road, and its a great place to live the high-life for a few days.

londo

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On the coast itself in the west, the places I have stayed-in are Anyer, Carita and Labuan. And just in-land a bit are the small-ish towns of Cilegon and Pandeglang. But there are loads of villages, either on the beach or inland a mile or two. We would spend the week-ends on bikes (MTB and road) in this area and its a lovely part of the world. but its pretty quiet, more so even that rural Isan.

How safe is Indonesia, both from a poverty/wealth point of view and religious zeolot point of view?

If completely retired then Thailand is hard to beat but I tire of the constant battles here, there and everywhere and the sheer stupidity of people who think they are actually on your level.

I would look hard at Vietnam. I love the country but don't know about visas etc. Malaysia as said has a very good retiree visa scheme but it has some other problems. Don't know about Indonesia etc.

Outside Asia, then Oz or Spain.

I second Spain - we just moved here and it is heaven :o

Thanks....Any city names?

WW.

There are restrictions on owning land in Indonesia, I think I will rent when I end up there.

But generally speaking, western currencies go a bit further in Java than Bali / Thailand / Malaysia. I guess when I'm in my 60's / 70's I'll be happy to sit on the verandah, watching the sun go down and keeping an eye out for the family. The fishing from the beaches is pretty good there from all reports. The capital Jakarta is about 1.5 hrs away by car, on a usually quiet toll road, and its a great place to live the high-life for a few days.

londo

but two things you will have to get used to in Indonesia is the pollution and the terrible food. so I still think Thailand has an edge over Indonesia as a place for foreigners to live.

i live in dallas, texas USA (thus the handle - davendallas), my wife is Thai (Bangkok) and I was looking forward to retiring to thailand next year -- then all this red shirt thaksin trouble??? Kinda has me thinking twice. I have traveled the world having been an American Marine Officer (I teach ROTC (military) in high school now) -- I will have close to 200,000 baht'mo and some cash seed money to bring to thailand (about 100K dollars) -- so I know from what everyone says -- that is more way than enough to retire comfortably - just not sure where to retire - I am considering pattaya, hua hin, and north chiang mai (chiang rai)- also, my wife has a small piece of property in sattihip so that is a consideration (not that great a location though -- the property that is --- so a lot of options -- ANY RECOMMENDATIONS??

my thoughts on other places - #1 - Costa Rica - very high ex pat population - very peaceful and supports expats - Beautiful (with great beaches/fishing) high education and medical levels and cost of living very reasonable

BUT again, my wife is Thai -- plays a big factor in my decision.

davendallas

I think PI, starting with Davao, rent only. You can rent a mansion by the beach, travel the 7000 islands, fish and relax to your heart's content. Move every couple of years with no permanent roots. Life is too short to get stuck in 1 place for rest of your life.

I think PI, starting with Davao, rent only. You can rent a mansion by the beach, travel the 7000 islands, fish and relax to your heart's content. Move every couple of years with no permanent roots. Life is too short to get stuck in 1 place for rest of your life.

Thank you for your comments - I really like PI (Bagio, Tagaytay, cebu) but think my wife would be happier in Thailand -- For some reason I also feel more comfortable and safer in Thailand --

Do you not like living in Thailand? What places do you like in Thailand?

Thanks, Dave

Edited by davendallas

joe552

quote ...... Doesn't it get COLD in Bulgaria in winter?

errrrr .... yes ! .... ####ing cold !

it was minus 9 degrees in sofia ( the capitol of bulgaria ) when i was there in april 04

enjoy .... dave2

It's great to see that several members here have done extensive research on these alternatives, indicating that if they could be elsewhere tomorrow, they would be gone. It appears that the main bugbears with Thailand is the lack of a decently structured, properly managed retirement visa scheme and realistic foreign land ownership laws.

Any other negatives for LOS?

OK, I bumped this one myself.

LOS negatives

1 ) lack of a decently structured, properly managed retirement visa scheme.

2 ) unrealistic foreign land ownership laws.

3 ) political instability.

4 ) SONGKRAN!

Any more please?

OK, I bumped this one myself.

LOS negatives

1 ) lack of a decently structured, properly managed retirement visa scheme.

2 ) unrealistic foreign land ownership laws.

3 ) political instability.

4 ) SONGKRAN!

Any more please?

Yea, you didn't say SONGKRAN twice!!!!

Bulgaria has sun, fun, beaches and fishing and for Europeans there are no visa issues.

I'm here right now.

I've noticed they have an interesting advertisement on CNN to promote the country.

What's the outlook for the economy there?

I did not see anyone mention Cambodia yet as a retirement destination?

I have had a couple holidays there this last 12 months, and superficially it seems to have all the goodies that one requires for an entertaining existance, cheap food, extremley cheap booze etc.

Beaches in the South are great ,and PP and Seim Reap has plenty of action.

Anyone have any facts on the tech stuff re retirement or had an experience?

The locals are not as Scam savvy yet as in Thailand,and are friendly and glad to help in general.

Im just looking at the Phillipines my self,and here is just one of the many links to just one area.

http://www.dumagueteinfo.com/negros-oriental-sightseeing.php

Evidently Manila is too expensive,followed by Cebu.

So Duma in the link is a nice option if not a bit quiter,and just a hop away from Cebu.

Id keep right away from Mindinao and Zamboanga area,as Islamists are kidnapping in that area.Besides its on the Australian Travel warnings as a "NO" go to area.

Years ago,I ignored travel warnings, but have wized up after I learned that your insurance may refuse to pay out if you go into harms way and you have ignored your governments warnings.

So you get bombed, kidnapped,lose an arm Leg what ever, No medical repat, no claim, personally I wont take that chance.

Australia wise,re the camper van thing,a good idea to check out the country first, and I I found a company that re-locates camper vans all around Australia,and you get the camper van for A$5 per day and you get a petrol allowance as well and so many days to complete the trip.

Cant give that name out though, Dont want to flood the outfit, be none left for me then. :D

Cant figure why anyone would want to settle here in Australia though, everything you buy,goods or services is 5 to 10 times the cost of the same item or service in St East Asia, and Australia is a breeding ground for thieves conmen sheisters bludgers yobbos and white trash,and women that talk and look like wharfies.[longshoremen]

Not to mention the police state mentality here where we probably got more laws preventing any type of enjoyment than anywhere in Sth east Asia.

Great though if your old or sick, the Gov medicare system if you qualify must be one of the worlds best.

Like a lot of places in the world, its the people that spoil a perfectly nice country.

Dennis The Menace

Anybody with concrete location tips for the Philippines and upper east coast Australia? Beach, Fishing, Town and amenities within easy reach and some touristy flair. I loved Pt. Douglas, Cairns area. Would be a solution to go 50:50 between the 2 countries. What would be considered a reasonable budget, owning a big camper and traveling around Australia?

Thanks for all the great and positive feedback so far!

WW. :o

Well, I am here in Thailand, but my Second choice would be Turkey, I loved the place, plenty of Sun, Sea, Sand and ... Fishing.

Good choice Pattaya girl,I totally forgot that part of the world.

As I now dual hold a UK passport, [have not used it yet] Its probably worth hoping that Turkey comes into the common market,then make my move.

Not a cheap option playing around in Europe from here down under,due to the cost of Air fares,but with Air Asia now going into London its improving.

Im going to have to shrink my butt and saw some off my legs though, :o im sure the seats are getting smaller and the leg room less. I came back to Oz from KL last week on Air Asia and their new planes in the cattle class on the long distance run dont have recling seats anymore, so its hel_l to fit in if your not Asian size.