Ants Are Tougher Than You Think

lampard10

I've seen those Japanese pet washers.. think they are only for dogs though... Cats and Canaries won't like it at all and my snake won't fit.

I don't think a canary would survive for too long in one of those things. :D If you have a snake that's too big for one of these machines then it would probably eat all of your neighbor's dogs :o

I finally got around to reading this topic and I'll be damned, but I guess, maybe, I finally got the answer to something that happened to me several years ago. On a motorcycle trip back to Korat from Pattaya we (wife and I) bought a fish already cooked at a Restaurant. When we got home the wife and some of her family ate some of the fish. I put the remainder in the fridge and the next day put it in the microwave to heat it back up. As we started nibbling on the fish I saw "movement" and upon closer examination the thing was full of little white worms and they were alive. Ugh.fishd3ye.gif

I expect most of you have a CD burner but this one is different.

This is how you can make luvverly artistic coasters out of your old CD's just like that tart on Blue Peter.

Quote:

Now I suppose you just can't wait to find out how you too can microwave your own CDs. First you must pick a CD for burning. The mass produced CDs that have a silvery looking surface don't come out looking all that great. You do get to see the light show when they are burning but the CD pretty much stays the same color when done. The best kind is the writable CDs. These CDs are made with a very thin layer of gold instead of aluminum used on the other CDs. The surface of the CD has a blue or blue green color. When burnt the crackled areas are golden.

You are now ready to place the CD in the microwave. You should put it on a paper towel or paper plate otherwise it will leave some burnt residue on the bottom of your microwave. We put the CD with the label side down. This is the side of the disk that is actually vaporizing. So, by putting it on this surface you will have less vaporized CD in the air. Either way you do it you will get a bad smell from the CD. You should not do this when you plan to use the microwave soon afterwards because you need to let the microwave air out when you are done.

The burning process goes very fast. You only need set your microwave for 3 seconds. After the first second the CD starts a flurry of flashes that die down quickly. You should be watching the whole time and ready to turn off the microwave in case you accidentally set it for too long. You may want to have your finger ready on the off button because to get the full effects you need to have the lights off to see the flashes. When done open the door trying not to breath the air inside the microwave. It is nasty. You can now remove the CD and air out the microwave. The CD will not be hot. 3 seconds is not long enough for the plastic to absorb much heat.

I have read with interest and amusement the posts on this thread, and to keep on the subject of microwaving, can anyone tell me if bacteria is killed off by microwaving? :D

Eg. if your cold meat in the fridge is starting to smell a bit off, and you're too lazy to go out and find a 7/11 to buy some more, would it be safe to eat if you microwaved it first? :D

From the posts about weevils and grubs etc. I suspect not. :o

I've seen those Japanese pet washers.. think they are only for dogs though... Cats and Canaries won't like it at all and my snake won't fit.

I don't think a canary would survive for too long in one of those things. :D If you have a snake that's too big for one of these machines then it would probably eat all of your neighbor's dogs :D

Putting your snake in a spin dryer...........................oooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww brings tears to my eyes :o

I have read with interest and amusement the posts on this thread, and to keep on the subject of microwaving, can anyone tell me if bacteria is killed off by microwaving?  :D

Eg. if your cold meat in the fridge is starting to smell a bit off, and you're too lazy to go out and find a 7/11 to buy some more, would it be safe to eat if you microwaved it first?  :D

From the posts about weevils and grubs etc. I suspect not.  :o

It's not safe to eat meat from 7/11 anyway

I have read with interest and amusement the posts on this thread, and to keep on the subject of microwaving, can anyone tell me if bacteria is killed off by microwaving?  :D

Eg. if your cold meat in the fridge is starting to smell a bit off, and you're too lazy to go out and find a 7/11 to buy some more, would it be safe to eat if you microwaved it first?  :D

Sure, you can kill them by heating the food to a proper safe cooking temperature. Same would hold for the worms, if the original posters had actually heated the food long enough. You can cook a raw chicken in the microwave and reach a safe temperature to eat, though it may not have a very nice texture. People often forget that safe reheating is to return the food to cooking temperature, not just to take the chill out of it. A microwave is better at doing that because it can heat all the way through with less over-cooking of the outsides.

(To answer an earlier question: the ants would die if they were swimming in boiling soup just as well as if it were on the stove. It's not the microwaves that kill them, but the hot water.)

The problem isn't just killing the buggers, but what chemicals they have left behind. For example, if you happen to have a major colony of the kind of bacteria that cause botulism (common in spoiled cans of food), the botulin toxin is still there and ready to cause grief whether the bacteria are killed or not. Because of this, I wouldn't recommend trying to salvage anything that is suspect due to storage or packaging, much less something that fails the sniff test!

It's not safe to eat meat from 7/11 anyway

Ture. Once, I bought a bottle of Sprite and found many many ants in it. awwwwwwwwww. sooooooo disgusting!!!

Edited by anna234cn

Sure, you can kill them by heating the food to a proper safe cooking temperature. Same would hold for the worms, if the original posters had actually heated the food long enough. You can cook a raw chicken in the microwave and reach a safe temperature to eat, though it may not have a very nice texture. People often forget that safe reheating is to return the food to cooking temperature, not just to take the chill out of it. A microwave is better at doing that because it can heat all the way through with less over-cooking of the outsides.

(To answer an earlier question: the ants would die if they were swimming in boiling soup just as well as if it were on the stove. It's not the microwaves that kill them, but the hot water.)

The problem isn't just killing the buggers, but what chemicals they have left behind. For example, if you happen to have a major colony of the kind of bacteria that cause botulism (common in spoiled cans of food), the botulin toxin is still there and ready to cause grief whether the bacteria are killed or not. Because of this, I wouldn't recommend trying to salvage anything that is suspect due to storage or packaging, much less something that fails the sniff test!

The danger zone for bacteria growth is between 4 and 60 degrees celcius with a high point at 38 celcius.

When you cook food above 60 degrees bacteria are killed. Mind you this means everywhere in the food. For example a steak medium rare is inside only around 40 degrees.

If you reheat the same principle applies with the warning to change from cold to hot or vice versa as fast as possible.

a microwave reheated dinner is about 45 degrees otherwise you burn your mouth.

Worst thing you can eat is constantly cooking food at to low temperature like a kebap wheel that is on low heat.

You're just multiplying the bacteria every minute. You eat Bacteria kebap :D:D

Ants are wimps compared to Scorpions!

You can freeze a scorpion . it will survive when thawed out. It will also survive a Nucleur bomb , but not a direct hit..... :D

And cockroaches. If you cut off a cockroach's head, it will still live for 3 weeks or so, before dying of starvation. Now that's TOUGH! :o

but it is cruel to roach ! :D

I was going to save this little gem for a new thread but some of you are obviously in need of this important information now so I will explain here and now how to kill Cockroaches.

This technique is not for the squimish as they obviously die a violent death.

Go to Tesco and get a 20 baht bottle of homebrand toilet cleaner.

In our house this stuff is called WMD.

Now squirt a roach with it. Dead in seconds. Not 15 minutes as with a spray.

Also works on crickets and frogs. Warning. Watching the frog die is a traumatic experience, really gruesome.

Watch this space I am going to try it out on snakes next.

Edited by Thetyim

I was going to save this little gem for a new thread but some of you are obviously in need of this important information now so I will explain here and now how to kill Cockroaches.

This technique is not for the squimish as  they obviously die a violent death.

Go to Tesco and get a 20 baht bottle of homebrand toilet cleaner.

In our house this stuff is called WMD.

Now squirt a roach with it.  Dead in seconds.

Also works on crickets and frogs. Warning. Watching a frog die is a tramatic experience. 

Watch this space I am going to try it out on snakes next.

That's because the wmd is highly caustic(alkaline) and will kill(burn) just about anything it touches.Battery acid would have a similar result.

Much more fun to buy a plastic BB gun, except ants are bloody hard to hit unless you have a keen eye and 1000 rounds of ammo.Ants are also very hard to skin due to their small size.Great thing to do on a rainy day tho.. :o

Save your money guys. Just use your foot. By the time you've reached for your home-made cocky killer equipment the roach will have scuttled under the furniture or somewhere.

Just wait for the roach to come out into the open then....stamp away. It may take you as many as 3 or 4 attempts but you'll usually succeed.

The more attempts you make the quicker you'll become a dancemaster of the 'Highland Hokey Cokey Stomp'. :o

Ah, the old foot! You're right about that...the foot does a great job on unwanted little critters like cockroaches, ants and the like and it's sure cheaper than buying all that expensive equipment. However, if your house has become an insect farm, you may tire yourself out with all that stomping! :o In that case, one of those fancy little plastic roach "food"containers may do the trick; the little critters munch on that and die quickly afterwards. Who knows, maybe roaches are so tough they'll eat all that poison and ask for more!