Making A Police Report

Pdaz

Local farang business owes me some money.. It's not a debt but money for good that were sold.

I've come to the point where I need some pressure applied.

So I want to involve the Police.. I've dealt with them a few times in thel last 15 yrs but never had to file a formal complaint.. I'm hoping that they will go and arrest the guy or at least visit him to investigate.

What are my chances ? I'm more than happy to 'contribute' to the police 'retirement' fund or a charity of their choice if that will improve performance and make this blokes life a misery for a few days..

Anybody else got any experience ?.. No need to tell me how long and drawn out the local courts are... It won't come to that... :o

this will be a civil case and not a criminal case..........

but you could try with the police to put some ' pressure ' on the buiness, but i doubt they would be intersted unless as you stated you add to there tea pot money

always amazed by talk of tea money etc.

yes it of course goes on to a massive degree but the perception seems to be you can just pitch up at the station and ask to purchase 'justice'

at base it is straightforward corruption but there are subtleties involved in playing that particular game

Edited by thaiwanderer

Have you got anything in writing that states he owes you money and is it signed and certified by witnesses? If not, you haven't got a chance since it's your word against his.

If you have, go to a Lawyer and make your complaint. Sometimes, a visit from the Lawyer solves your problem as the person realises you mean business and this problem isn't going to go away without a re-imbersement.

Have you got anything in writing that states he owes you money and is it signed and certified by witnesses? If not, you haven't got a chance since it's your word against his.

If you have, go to a Lawyer and make your complaint. Sometimes, a visit from the Lawyer solves your problem as the person realises you mean business and this problem isn't going to go away without a re-imbersement.

I have signed/dated receipts and a contract of sale..

you should be ok then as proof .......go to him and threaten him first of your intentions and maybe he will give in before you have to get police involved..or a few heavies might do the job too

That was why I asked .. I wan't sure which way to proceed .. Lawyer or the Police..

Only thing I know is a couple of years back a friend of mine was in a similar situation.. He made a police report and the cops went along to the business in question and brought the guy in. They put him in the cells overnight until his missus came along and got him out.. He paid up the same day..

The bloke I'm after doesn't have a missus are anyone to come gethim.. So a night or so in the cells may be more persuasive than a letter from a lawyer..

Trouble is I'm not in contact with my friend so don't know if he had to offer up some tea money to get the fella 'knicked'

you should be ok then as proof .......go to him and threaten him first of your intentions and maybe he will give in before you have to get police involved..or a few heavies might do the job too

I wouldn't even go and threaten him - that makes his case against you more viable! Better just take a Lawyer with you to confront him with this matter. A letter never seems to work. If you don't know a friendly Lawyer maybe you are friends with a cop and that will be just as good.

I don't need to go and threaten him.. He should already realise how serious I am.

I'm in the lucky position to have the time and the funds to hound him for however long it takes.. Even if it costs more than the initial debt.. It's more the principle and the fact that I have done alot of business with him in the past..

Visiting with a lawyer won't have much impact as he isn't at his place of work.. However the cops rounding him up would. Despite my dislike of corruption greasing a few palms at Soi 9 might just have the desired affect..

Not to mention the power of the internet.. There is always 'name and shame' Not that Thaivisa is the correct venue for that....

>Visiting with a lawyer won't have much impact as he isn't at his place of work.

So why will the police be able to help - based on your word against his?

>However the cops rounding him up would.

Won't happen - you will just make a fool of yourself and possibly get arrested for attempted bribary.

>Despite my dislike of corruption greasing a few palms at Soi 9 might just have the desired affect..

If you do not already have a friendly policeman contact (if you did you wouldn't be asking here) talk to a lawyer, they will be able to explain to you what options are open to you under Thai law.

At that point a visit to the offices in question by you and the lawyer (keep your cool - you are there to be seen - not speak!) - the person that owes you money will see that Thai-Thai steps are being taken 'offfically' - and that the next step will be a court appearance. Good if your lawyer draws up a document - sort of time line and shows when you will file the case at court if payment is not made.

You need to explain very clearly to your lawyer the amount owed and then what extra costs you will seek from him if the monies are not paid within 7 days, clearly state the timescale you wish to put in place and the date that the case will be filed with the court. It's fairly easy to file a court case like this - most of the time when the person being chased understands that it's not just 'dogs barking' but a legal situation is developing the money is found.

>Visiting with a lawyer won't have much impact as he isn't at his place of work.

So why will the police be able to help - based on your word against his?

>However the cops rounding him up would.

Won't happen - you will just make a fool of yourself and possibly get arrested for attempted bribary.

>Despite my dislike of corruption greasing a few palms at Soi 9 might just have the desired affect..

If you do not already have a friendly policeman contact (if you did you wouldn't be asking here) talk to a lawyer, they will be able to explain to you what options are open to you under Thai law.

At that point a visit to the offices in question by you and the lawyer (keep your cool - you are there to be seen - not speak!) - the person that owes you money will see that Thai-Thai steps are being taken 'offfically' - and that the next step will be a court appearance. Good if your lawyer draws up a document - sort of time line and shows when you will file the case at court if payment is not made.

You need to explain very clearly to your lawyer the amount owed and then what extra costs you will seek from him if the monies are not paid within 7 days, clearly state the timescale you wish to put in place and the date that the case will be filed with the court. It's fairly easy to file a court case like this - most of the time when the person being chased understands that it's not just 'dogs barking' but a legal situation is developing the money is found.

Ditto! Also, this matter would be taken very seriously by the courts and your Lawyer because this is Thailand and money is first priority here.

Thanks for the info guys.. I do have a Police contact.. My neighbor is pretty high up in BKK but he's only down here every couple of Months. He's a good guy and went to School in UK so is easy to talk with.

Dunno if I made it clear in my first post but the business owner is a farang not a Thai.. so the Thai on Thai angle with my lawyer doesn't work..

I wasn't thinking of blundering into the cop shop waving cash around.. I've lived in Asia more than long enough to understand the subtleties of negotiation. Speaking quietly but firmly and showing patience is far more sucessful than blustering and creating a scene.. Like you say money is number one here and it is taken very seriously (mainly cos Thais kill each other over very small amounts) That is why I expected the police to be helpful.. I've had good experiences before with the BiB mainly regarding auto/bike accidents but as I said going in to file a complaint is a first for me.. I'll see what pans out today and if no sucess I'll go visit my Lawyer.. Maybe a formal written demand will have an effect.

Cheers

>.... I said going in to file a complaint is a first for me..

Make a report - get your timeline straight and what was agreed with regard to payment. The Police will give you a copy of the report. You might wish to talk with a lawyer before had so that they can advise on the detail that needs to be reported.

Making a police report is no great hassle - takes 20 minutes or so.

You sit at a desk and explain your case details to an officer, he asks a few questions to complete detail and writes up the report in a duplicate book. Getting in down to 3/4 of a page of A4 or less is ideal. You are given a copy of the report, written in Thai - with this in mind it might be worth getting it translated to ensure what you said is recorded correctly. Make sure that you make a note of the Page number and the Book number of the report - your lawyer might need that at a later date. You can just turn up by yourself - they normally have a English speaker to hand. When I was at Soi 9 - I did not use the services of the 'volenteers' - I used the real police.

What I meant about Thai-Thai; if the farang has an office there will be Thai staff there (?) - your lawyer appearing and being able to talk to them will communicate (by his presence) that the matter is being progressed. Rather than you turning up asking in K.Farang is there, see what I mean?

Best of Luck.

(edit - more detail added)

Edited by Cuban

>.... I said going in to file a complaint is a first for me..

Make a report - get your timeline straight and what was agreed with regard to payment. The Police will give you a copy of the report. You might wish to talk with a lawyer before had so that they can advise on the detail that needs to be reported.

Making a police report is no great hassle - takes 20 minutes or so.

You sit at a desk and explain your case details to an officer, he asks a few questions to complete detail and writes up the report in a duplicate book. Getting in down to 3/4 of a page of A4 or less is ideal. You are given a copy of the report, written in Thai - with this in mind it might be worth getting it translated to ensure what you said is recorded correctly. Make sure that you make a note of the Page number and the Book number of the report - your lawyer might need that at a later date. You can just turn up by yourself - they normally have a English speaker to hand. When I was at Soi 9 - I did not use the services of the 'volenteers' - I used the real police.

What I meant about Thai-Thai; if the farang has an office there will be Thai staff there (?) - your lawyer appearing and being able to talk to them will communicate (by his presence) that the matter is being progressed. Rather than you turning up asking in K.Farang is there, see what I mean?

Best of Luck.

(edit - more detail added)

Thanks.. No dificuty with the above I can read Thai to that sort of standard.. No problem making myself understood either.. But I will take a Thai collegue with me in case of unforseen dificulties and having an educated middle class Thai there tends to show I'm not just some wastrel.