Fly Fishing Reel In Chiang Mai

canuckamuck

As the topic states: I am looking for a place to buy a fly fishing reel in Chiang Mai, and while I am asking, does anyone have any favorite general fishing stores in CM?

Good question. I have visited a lot of fishing shops in Thailand and have yet to see any fly fishing equipment. Other than my friends I don't even KNOW of any other fly fishermen here in Thailand. I bring all my own stuff from Canada each year.

As the topic states: I am looking for a place to buy a fly fishing reel in Chiang Mai, and while I am asking, does anyone have any favorite general fishing stores in CM?

I don't know about fly fishing gear, but I just bought a graphite pole and spin cast rig to go for big catfish and giant snakehead. If anyone would know, Pat would, the owner of the fishing shop at Mee Chok (1001 CM Phrao Hwy at the middle ring road, next to Raum Chok) at the rear of the row of shops next to Rimping market. I don't know where you are planning to fish or what for, but the river and local reservoirs just have little guys hitting the surface from what I've seen; you need to go deep to get some meat. don

Well thanks for the replies, I assumed that fly fishing wasn't too big over here. However, I live on the edge of a series of ponds, and they all have fish rising all day.

I got some flies and line sent over from Canada, thinking I would just goof around a little, but once I got the stuff, I thought "why not do this right"?

So I made a rod from thin bamboo and all I need is the reel.

Ian Forbes, Would it be too much trouble for you to photograph or tell me the names of the flies that are working for you, and on what fish? That would get me a better start. Even just a couple.

drtreelove: There are plenty of big sportfish that will take a fly, but I don't know about here. When you fly fish even the smaller ones are a bit of a thrill. Although I do like to spincast too.

Well thanks for the replies, I assumed that fly fishing wasn't too big over here. However, I live on the edge of a series of ponds, and they all have fish rising all day.

I got some flies and line sent over from Canada, thinking I would just goof around a little, but once I got the stuff, I thought "why not do this right"?

So I made a rod from thin bamboo and all I need is the reel.

Ian Forbes, Would it be too much trouble for you to photograph or tell me the names of the flies that are working for you, and on what fish? That would get me a better start. Even just a couple.

drtreelove: There are plenty of big sportfish that will take a fly, but I don't know about here. When you fly fish even the smaller ones are a bit of a thrill. Although I do like to spincast too.

A LOT depends on the species you want to fish for. For the big Mekong catfish in the ponds we use a quasi-fly fishing method using a white rabbit fur fly that looks like bread dough. But, you have to get the fish into a feeding frenzy first by tossing out old bread (fishing shops sell it by the bag).

For jungle perch and snakeheads in the big reservoirs we use surface lures with lots of action. I hesitate to call them flies because they usually are so big and with a popper face.

For Asian mahseer in the mountain streams we use small, colourful dry flies that look like insects.

I suggest contacting my friend Jon Ingi Agustsson at Asian Angling Adventures. 081 025 9415

Jon has a fly tying company and has all the flies and all the knowledge. I usually go fishing with him.