I Hate Seagate !

Cuban

Me? no I'm fine, relaxed and at peace....

....that coffee mug half embedded in the wall - oh I'm sure that's always been there.

....that ancient curse written in blood on the floor mentioning Seagate's technical design staff and rabid soi dogs armed with rusty axes is surely just a trick of the light?

Some weeks ago I sought and found here in Pattaya, with the aid of the most helpful 'IT on TV' members some security version of TORX driver bits, my intention was to install a 1.5TB drive in a Seagate external USB housing I have.

I thought at the time I was looking at the USB drive that they looked like TORX screwheads but were different, I put it down to old age - poor eyesight or a change in local gravity flux.

So I purchased some T10, T15, T20 (?) TORX security bits, six point TORX star driver bits with a hole drilled centrally in the driver bit to allow a protruding pin in the screw's head to fit - that otherwise stops thE use of normal TORX drivers, with me so far.....

So Seagate have choosen to take a futher step to keep me out of my USB drive.

They have changed to use five point security TORX machine screws rather than 'normal' six point security screws. I did wonder if they broken into my house and changed the screws that night it rained?

[pause]The local black magic man has arrived with the big drums and the goats, it will be a loud messy night of curses and dark animal rights tonight....[/pause]

Now having searched on the keywords TORX, Seagate, animal sacrifice and five pointed $%£&£ security drivers - I can see that I'm not the first nor the last person to seek the dark lord of computer mis-use to change parity bits in their mail files overnight and make they LCD screens suffer sticky pixels.

I see that 5 pointed TORX 'BO' driver sets are sold on eBay etc. but frankly I'm ready to go in through the top of the case with a shaped charge and stun grenades.

WHERE'S MY HAMMER ? :o

Me? no I'm fine, relaxed and at peace....

....that coffee mug half embedded in the wall - oh I'm sure that's always been there.

....that ancient curse written in blood on the floor mentioning Seagate's technical design staff and rabid soi dogs armed with rusty axes is surely just a trick of the light?

Some weeks ago I sought and found here in Pattaya, with the aid of the most helpful 'IT on TV' members some security version of TORX driver bits, my intention was to install a 1.5TB drive in a Seagate external USB housing I have.

I thought at the time I was looking at the USB drive that they looked like TORX screwheads but were different, I put it down to old age - poor eyesight or a change in local gravity flux.

So I purchased some T10, T15, T20 (?) TORX security bits, six point TORX star driver bits with a hole drilled centrally in the driver bit to allow a protruding pin in the screw's head to fit - that otherwise stops thE use of normal TORX drivers, with me so far.....

So Seagate have choosen to take a futher step to keep me out of my USB drive.

They have changed to use five point security TORX machine screws rather than 'normal' six point security screws. I did wonder if they broken into my house and changed the screws that night it rained?

[pause]The local black magic man has arrived with the big drums and the goats, it will be a loud messy night of curses and dark animal rights tonight....[/pause]

Now having searched on the keywords TORX, Seagate, animal sacrifice and five pointed $%£&£ security drivers - I can see that I'm not the first nor the last person to seek the dark lord of computer mis-use to change parity bits in their mail files overnight and make they LCD screens suffer sticky pixels.

I see that 5 pointed TORX 'BO' driver sets are sold on eBay etc. but frankly I'm ready to go in through the top of the case with a shaped charge and stun grenades.

WHERE'S MY HAMMER ? :o

snap the centre pins out and then use the appropriate sized flat head screwdriver to remove the screws.

thought I might add - a pair of mini side cutters can be used to "crack" the screws if they are not countersunk - just grip the outside of them vertically and twist

Edited by stumonster