Connecting To A Wireless Access Point

thailandlover

I have a Wireless access point plugged into my DSL modem and want to change the password on it. However, I can't seem to access the control panel for the access point.

I have tried typing in the ip address with the access point lan cable plugged directly into my laptop and I have tried typing in the IP address with the access point not plugged into my computer. I've tried accessing it with the Lan cable of the router plugged directly into my laptop. I have tried with the wireless both turned on and off in all the previous scenarios as well.

What am I doing wrong? I set it up once, a few years ago, why can't I access it now?

It is a dlink dwl-g700ap

Try to diagnose this way:

1. Check if all cables are okay and connected correctly (OSI layer 1)

2. Check if there's a data stream running over the cables. Usually this is indicated by LEDs (OSI layer 2).

3. Check if IP connections are possible (OSI layer 3). This can be done by sending a ping from your computer to the device. If there's no response, check the arp table (arp -a on windows) and look for the mac address of the box.

If the accesspoint is sending any traffic at all, it's MAC address will show up in the router's MAC table or your computer's MAC table.

Edit: if this is all too technical, press the reset button on your AP and set it up again according to the manual that came with it.

Edited by Prasert

Two problems I had doing this were:

1. Make sure IP range of laptop is in the same range as that for the accesspoint.

2. I didn't have my laptop plugged into the mains and forgot that the LAN port/ethernet card my laptop deactivated when on battery power.

Thank you for your time in responding Prasert, perhaps I did not make myself clear enough.

The access point works. I can use it to access the internet. What I cannot do is enter the access point to change the password. I know the correct IP address of my access point. It does not access the access point regardless of whether or not it is plugged directly into the computer,

The arp table shows the device, but typing in the IP address from the arp table in my modem does not access the access point. While I can open the run window, and typing in the terms arp -a does yield a result, the run window flashes it up and closes so fast I cannot read it. However, I can see the arp table from my modem and, as I said, typing in the IP address showing there, yields the same nil result.

displaying the arp table:

open a command window first (start -> run -> cmd) and then enter the command.

The fact that the accesspoint works:

Logical! An accesspoint is a layer-2 device that bridges between 2 networks, in this case wired and wireless ethernet. To perform this operation, no IP is required. It would work just as good with the IPX protocol.

But to manage the device, it has a little interface built-in which operates on OSI layer 3 (and above). If you access the device with a webbrowser, check if the device is listening om port 80; in a cmd window type: telnet <ip-of-your-box> 80

If the screen goes blank, you're connected. If you get an error message saying that no service is provided on this port, the webinterface is simply not running on your device.

Again: trying the above is only usefull after you can successfully ping the device.

In general: if you start troubleshooting, think logical and work according to the OSI model. This will give you results. Trial-and-error methods are popular with TOT and we all know what their results are....

Well, if the webinterface is not working, but the box can be pinged successfully, there's probably something wrong with it. Resetting the box might solve it.

Try this: open a cmd window and type ping -t <ip-of-accesspoint>

When you start getting replies, unplug the power to the accesspoint.

The pings should start timing out immediately and you are sure you're pinging the right address.

Plug the power back in and once the pings are echoed again, try accessing the box one more time, by web or simply telnet.

If that's unsuccessful, use the reset button and check the manual for the default IP and default password it will use after a reset.