Panic As Electric Transformer Explodes In Bangkok

george

Panic as electric transformer explodes in Bangkok centre

BANGKOK: -- Shoppers and businesspeople fled in panic today after a high-voltage electric transformer exploded in one of Bangkok's busiest shopping districts.

Three deafening explosions followed by billowing smoke were enough to convince many people in Siam Square, a popular hangout for local students, that a bomb had exploded in the heart of the capital.

In restaurants, lunchtime customers abandoned their food and cutlery, running as fast as they could from the explosion.

Firemen called in to put out the blaze confirmed, however, that the explosion had been caused by a faulty high-voltage electric transformer at an electricity sub-station.

Although no-one was injured in the explosion, police called for electricity to the area to be temporarily cut, and questioned why the same transformer had blown up on two or three previous occasions.

--TNA 2005-01-20

"Although no-one was injured in the explosion, police called for electricity to the area to be temporarily cut, and questioned why the same transformer had blown up on two or three previous occasions. "

Here we go again :o

This may have been whathappenned near my place a few weeks ago........late one night when it is veryquiet in the area......a huge explosion......scared the <deleted> outa me......and the lights went out........after afew minutes came back on.......a mystery........

The explosion I think would have been maybe 1 kilometre away and no fire or smoke was obvious...... very strange for such a large explosion.....I still do not know what it was !!