Tv Friday Night-outs - What Happened To Them?

raro

Tell us what you are looking for  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If i can make a suggestion ,, One of the Bangkok events i went to was a great success ,, as after a few posts a location was picked that was central and easy to get to,, instead of the usual 150 posts of waffling.

So for future events you should do the same , choose a place/date and time, and just see how it goes , you cant please everybody ,,

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is actually what we have done so far: We almost always start by meeting in Tropical Berts which is central and easy to find with good parking facilities. From there on we decide what to do.

We will be there at 7pm.

Would like to check out the Jazz Pit after as Raro suggested, never been there, any good?

Edited by Phil Conners

Jazz Pit???????

Is there a real jazz joint in the area that no one has told me about?

Manhattan's jazz is new and as yet untested but the description sounded right. However, a place calling itself a pit has a certain appeal in and of itself.

I vote for jazz pit after TB.

As for numbers, I will be there and SWRWS may come, but she would order from the Thai menu so doesn't count in the sausage round up.

kdf

BTW, raro where do we get the bus? looking forward to seeing you and the rest of the gang. Raro is your better half going to be there?

the better half was even supposed to bring her sister, but the sister chickened out.....so it will only be my better part to join us.

I'll be there soon-ish and yes, Jazz Pit would be a great middle part for the evening.

Well Friday night out was a weird one, and possibly gives some hints as to why they are not all the success they once were.

Bert was the consummate host as usual. He tried out 2 of his chicken recipes on the gang. 3 of the gang were bright enough to order the whale on a plate. From my position across the table the beastie looked even bigger than usual.

I think that was my first trip without a whale on a plate. I shall remedy that soon.

The jazz pit was great.

One couch had experienced way too much tom cat attention, but once that was dealt with by some distance, the place was great. Very nice design with a lot of polished wood and jazz, real jazz.

Those of us who remained stayed until they shut down around midnight. The sax player left before that, he was apparently a volunteer. The drinks were about the same as the average walking street gogo bar price and NOT watered down which is certainly diffrent from many local establishments. I will be back.

The WS finale to the eve was not well attended in numbers, but spirits were good and plentifull. I for once got home before sun up and that was a strange experience

I have hopes for the Friday night romps, but they are tuff. We are a disparate group with widely varying tastes, disposible income levels, and transportation methods.

Thanks to Phil for my first Thai motorbike ride, got me thinking Ducati again. I appreciate the time eveyone offered us, we had some good laughs, but I was most proud of the support for members not doing great.

Hopefully we are after all friends. I appreciated folks good will towards me and my continued health battles and more so with the help and good wishes offered SWRWS for her upcoming surgery. I got to comisserate with another member about the horror of back pain and the disabling BS it offers and many offered care and good wishes to others who could use it.

Since the group kinda broke apart, some thought it was a less than stellar evening. For me both the laughs and mostly the other stuff made it one of the best ever.

Thanks to you all.

kdf

Edited by kdf

I there, it was a great evening indeed, the number of people showing up was the highest in months, if not a year. Also nice seeing two new faces, Graham and forgotwasyournamewas - I'm not good at remembering names, apologies for that!

Thanks also to the smaller group at the Jazz Pit and your great support! :D

Did anyone take pictures of Phil and KDF on the motorbike? It mus have been one of the Kodak moments... :o

I'm not around this coming Friday but hope to see you again soon. Btw...on Wednesday evening is a spontaneous meet and greet in Petchabun, if anyone by chance is there come to have a look! More on the Central Thailand Forum.

Ladies and Gents

As you are all aware we lost one of if not the founder member of the Friday Night Piss Ups recently, Buckwheat. He was always first on parade here and always folowed the same routine, Milk, Pea and Ham Soup followed by plenty of beer. He often checked in for the night so he could follow you all to walking street, even when he started to have health problems he would always try and attend on a Friday wherever it might be. If I heard that phrase " God Damm It! " once I heard it a 100 times whenever Buckwheat was around, especially the first time he set up the BBQ in the car park and security tried to tow it away, he had put the chimney over the wall into the adjoining hotel forcing an evacuation !!. Things went a little pear shaped with this and that and I will take responsability for some of that but Fridays will always seem a little stale without him. So after checking with George if anyone would like to raise a glass to Buckwheat this Friday you are more than welcome to join me here, I will lay on some Ribs but dont expect them to be upto his standard, he showed me the Dry Rub but never the Sauce, that recipe is still with him and rightly so. About 7.30 ish would be good, names please

Bert

RIP Marty, too bad we could not reconcile in this world but I'll meet you in the next one, so don't be late!

I am unfortunately out of town this Friday. Will raise a glass on you tomorrow with the TVers in Petchabun.

Ladies and Gents

As you are all aware we lost one of if not the founder member of the Friday Night Piss Ups recently, Buckwheat. He was always first on parade here and always folowed the same routine, Milk, Pea and Ham Soup followed by plenty of beer. He often checked in for the night so he could follow you all to walking street, even when he started to have health problems he would always try and attend on a Friday wherever it might be. If I heard that phrase " God Damm It! " once I heard it a 100 times whenever Buckwheat was around, especially the first time he set up the BBQ in the car park and security tried to tow it away, he had put the chimney over the wall into the adjoining hotel forcing an evacuation !!. Things went a little pear shaped with this and that and I will take responsability for some of that but Fridays will always seem a little stale without him. So after checking with George if anyone would like to raise a glass to Buckwheat this Friday you are more than welcome to join me here, I will lay on some Ribs but dont expect them to be upto his standard, he showed me the Dry Rub but never the Sauce, that recipe is still with him and rightly so. About 7.30 ish would be good, names please

Bert

Bert I think this is a great idea. SWRWS just got back from surgery and I know she won't make it, but if she is well enough for me to leave her on her own for awhile, I will be there. Sorry for the uncertainty, these are uncertain times.

Thanks for this offer. Buckwheat will be missed.

kdf

Ladies and Gents

Bert

Bert I think this is a great idea. SWRWS just got back from surgery and I know she won't make it, but if she is well enough for me to leave her on her own for awhile, I will be there. Sorry for the uncertainty, these are uncertain times.

kdf

Thanks KDF, and my best regards to her indoors who of course we all miss and look forward to a sloppy kiss from !!!. Perhaps I should have arranged a date for a couple of Fridays ahead and opened a new thread, Buckwheats Wake. We have the Asia Meeting going on now and Songran next weekend so perhaps a Friday after that. Raro it would not be the same without you Cursing in German anyway so perhaps a Friday in the future.

Bert

Whenever you decide to have Marty's wake, I'll do my best to be there.

I think a new thread is a good idea.

Thanks for the good words for SWRWS, she will get a chuckle.

kdf

I may be by tonight anyway.

Edited by kdf

Ladies and Gents

Bert

kdf

Thanks KDF, and my best regards to her indoors who of course we all miss and look forward to a sloppy kiss from !!!. Perhaps I should have arranged a date for a couple of Fridays ahead and opened a new thread, Buckwheats Wake. We have the Asia Meeting going on now and Songran next weekend so perhaps a Friday after that. Raro it would not be the same without you Cursing in German anyway so perhaps a Friday in the future.

Bert

agree with KDF, a wake at a later stage would be better! Maybe in two weeks from now?

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interested there will be a party at Mals bar (PJ Pantip or PJ pool bar - Capital of the Dark Side) at the top of Soi Kao Noi tomorrow night from abt 7 or 8. Free food & live music. Mal has just returned from Australia.

To get there go right up Kao Noi until you pass the 45° right hand bend, then a 7 11 on the corner (of the soi coming across from Nern Plub Wan) continue straight past the 7 11 abt 150 yds to M/C shop on right, PJ is on the left.

Will kmz after loading Earth.

It is Friday,

Friday later on is Friday night, right?

Where we go?

I always prefer places I can get to by Baht bus so I don't have to try and pick the least

impaired driver to take me back to the light, brightside, whatever. Sometimes the choice of least impaired is tuff.

Central festival mall has a fine food loft with great views and enough different choices for most everyone. Pho for 90 Baht.

You can even save 3-20 baht and go to the basement food court. I prefer the view at the food loft.

We should also consider Marty's wake at Tropical Bert's, but not tonight. That one will take some planning.

kdf

Keeping guys to a schedule week after week is tough to do. The type of guys here stray off that beaten path. The mobil phone has taken its toll on alot of past socials.

In other words guys tend to get bored and only hook up with closer friends as needed. This is done by phone.

But offer free drinks and see how sucessful it will be!

:)

Well here it is FREE BEER, starting at 4PM this Friday. At Beer Garden (Walking Street Sign, follow the Beer Garden sign out over the water). The beer I am told is draft and in great quanities.

So if a Thaivisa member could show up early and get a large table that would be my game plan. I could do that but am recovering from a cold.

Is it a against any rules to wear you Thaivisa name card.

Happy chugging :D

OK what happened at this beer bash? Was it as advertised?

Would it make a good spot for future starting points for Fiday Nights?

All this leg work I put out and no info! :)

Best way to know what happened is to be there, perhaps the only way.

Many of us never have any clear recollection of the events.

But For the Lone Star State I will try.

I got there after 2 BM and their wives had been enjoying the free draft Tiger and Heine for some time. I remember starting in with a vengeance.

I somehow received an inedible cheeseburger with excellent fries that one of the Thai wives ate most of. I forgot beer was free and started ordering JD.

We left, we went some places with chrome poles. Other BM's left I ended up in one Bar with a lady from another a go go.

Stumbled to the "limo" found myself in the right condo with a big headache. (this is better than in the wrong condo with no headache, believe me.)

PBG has been part of many past Friday nite outs. Me thinks you confuse the informal Friday night with the official name tag nights sponsored by Thai Visa,

different critters, same results.

Beer was consumed. Fun was had

kdf

OK what happened at this beer bash? Was it as advertised?

Would it make a good spot for future starting points for Fiday Nights?

All this leg work I put out and no info! :)

Best way to know what happened is to be there, perhaps the only way.

Many of us never have any clear recollection of the events.

But For the Lone Star State I will try.

I got there after 2 BM and their wives had been enjoying the free draft Tiger and Heine for some time. I remember starting in with a vengeance.

I somehow received an inedible cheeseburger with excellent fries that one of the Thai wives ate most of. I forgot beer was free and started ordering JD.

We left, we went some places with chrome poles. Other BM's left I ended up in one Bar with a lady from another a go go.

Stumbled to the "limo" found myself in the right condo with a big headache. (this is better than in the wrong condo with no headache, believe me.)

PBG has been part of many past Friday nite outs. Me thinks you confuse the informal Friday night with the official name tag nights sponsored by Thai Visa,

different critters, same results.

Beer was consumed. Fun was had

kdf

Basically nothing to add to this one!We usually post here which place we ransack on any given Friday night Be there around 7 pm and look for a bunch of ugly looking guys with large amounts of alcohol in front of them. If you are not sure who we are, just ring the bell. If you could not find us, just ring the bell again. Repeat until we pass out...