How Does The Internet Operate?

IanForbes

I currently live in an apartment/hotel off Wing Ping road, not far from the Airport Plaza. The hotel advertises highspeed internet, but the actual speed is a bit slower than dial up back in Canada. For that I pay 300 baht a month. Okay, I can live with that, but what DOES peeve me is the local area site goes down all the time. It was off from yesterday afternoon and it's still off. Nobody seems to know why. It is annoying when you are just about to post something and the site goes down for an undetermined amount of time. Sometimes it just goes off and then on again a few minutes later. I had to drive into town to do my last minute internet posting before leaving tomorrow for Canada.

I understand that too many customers on the internet at the same time can make things slow, but it shouldn't stop entirely.

Can anybody explain to me in simple terms the reason this might happen?

I currently live in an apartment/hotel off Wing Ping road, not far from the Airport Plaza. The hotel advertises highspeed internet, but the actual speed is a bit slower than dial up back in Canada. For that I pay 300 baht a month. Okay, I can live with that, but what DOES peeve me is the local area site goes down all the time. It was off from yesterday afternoon and it's still off. Nobody seems to know why. It is annoying when you are just about to post something and the site goes down for an undetermined amount of time. Sometimes it just goes off and then on again a few minutes later. I had to drive into town to do my last minute internet posting before leaving tomorrow for Canada.

I understand that too many customers on the internet at the same time can make things slow, but it shouldn't stop entirely.

I have been using Maxnet (TT&T) for 2-3 years and whilst there has been the odd occasion when it has been down it has been quite rare.

That said I am in my own apartment and not subject to the vagaries of some hotel "in-house" guy <deleted> with the system.

Edited by john b good

I live in Sankamphaeng, near Bosang, and have a dial-up connection (TT&T lines and CSLoxinfo as a provider)... Not so bad, even if very, very low speeds at some very few inexpected moments.

Many complaints around here with ADSL: doesn't work fine. Don't know why...

The common reason I was told is "big flow in small tubes"...

I heard too that connections are better inside the city due to optic cables here and there...

But I never had a true explaination from a true expert!

Sure I would like too to understand why cuts, slow speeds and bad ADSL service...

Regards,

Gobs

Welcome to Thailand and Thai Ways :o

... snip ... the local area site goes down all the time. ... snip .... Sometimes it just goes off and then on again a few minutes later. ... snip ... Can anybody explain to me in simple terms the reason this might happen?

Hi Khun Ian,

There can be many reasons including faulty local hardware, faulty hardware between your adsl sub-system and the main consolidating routers, thermal noise in the lines, hardware problems in the main servers MaxNet uses. Local computer infected with malware due to pirated and hacked software. Incompetence of the people who set up the local router and internet connection. It's probably worthless to try and analyze.

There was a very interesting discussion here just recently on the True so-called "8 megabit" service which may help inform you :

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/True-Interne...ps-t250617.html

the discussion on that thread includes an interesting graph of distance between user and DSLAM and potential

transmission rates.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a78828-...dsl2-2.gif.html

Knowing that adsl roll-out in America, and other so-called "advanced" nations, also had a lot of problems in the first years, may, or may not, temper your frustration.

best, Bill

Welcome to Thailand and Thai Ways :o

Exactly. The Internet here is what it is. Just get used to it.

IanForbes - I stayed in the Huay Kaew Residence for about six months when I first came. I also paid about 300/month for ADSL there as I recall. It was very common (like 2-3 times per week) for the Internet to be down for periods of up to 24 hours at a time. Complaining did not make things any betterl. TIT.

The router just may need rebooting. Do a 'tracert' through the command prompt, bung the ip into a browser to get up the router interface. As a default, username and password will probably be 'admin'. If not, you're knacked. If so, get in there and reboot. You may also be able to throttle the connection. Failing that, call reception and ask them to turn it off and on, or pay the bill. :o