A Case Against Taking Lipitor

Fore Man

A note of possible interest to other TV members who are Lipitor (or similar statin-class drug) users. I have been faithfully taking between 5 to 10-mg daily for the past 10 years. For the most part, I tolerated the drug well...as you would think in such a small dosage. Undeniably, using Lipitor has maintained my cholesterol at proper levels (140-190). But over the past 24 months, I have come down with several new symptoms/problems, which were inexplicable and which caused me considerable discomfort. These were: Restless legs Syndrome (RLS), muscle spasming, loss of strength and a bad case of what was misdiganosed locally as psoriasis on my fingers. The latter turned out to be exfoliative keratolysis, a condition where the skin is constantly peeling, growing new, denser skin and then cracking and bleeding before healing again...a vicious continuing cycle.

I began to scour the Web for leads on what might be causing these maladies, and came upon a startling discovery that there are thousands of Lipitor (and other statin class drug) users around the globe who all have presented one or more of my individual symptoms. To a person, those posting on these various sites have all found relief after ceasing all use of these medications. Lipitor was the primary medication being commented on by these posters, as it is probably the most well-known and prevalent drug being used to control serum cholesterol. It is also rather costly as well. As an experiment, I stopped taking Lipitor three weeks ago and found that all of my symptoms are suddenly on the wane. The RLS episodes have stopped completely, helping me to get better sleep ; my skin seems to be healing normally now; my muscle aches and spasms have stopped as well. Were these problems due to Lipitor? Who can tell? I only have my empirical results to consider and it looks pretty much like Lipitor was the culprit. I changed nothing else in my lifestyle. I have also been dealing with chronic GERD over the past 10-12 years and now those symptoms also seem to be ebbing.

All I know for sure is that I have started to feel a lot better lately after a long period of decline.

If we stop taking these accepted medications, what do we do to control our cholesterol? Aside from cutting back on fatty foods and those that are known to increase serum cholesterol levels, I have learned since that there is a great deal we can do to keep LDL levels at bay...including Vitamin C, Lysine and Omega-3 therapy; improving HDL levels through proper exercise and avoiding certain foods and adding others (such as oatmeal and fish). I plan to have my blood checked again in 6 months to see if my lifestyle changes are effective in controlling my cholesterol levels.

Finally, there is now some belief that perhaps cholesterol is not the culprit we have always been led to believe it to be, and in fact by artifcially restricting cholesterol levels, we may be creating more injurious effects.

I am not a physician and do not advocate that TV readers stop taking Lipitor and other statin class medications...I simply want to air my own experience and let others decide for themselves what courses of action they might want to consider. Including performing their own research. A physician whom I consult occasionally back in the USA has agreed that Lipitor could have caused my problems but is not prepared to advise that I stop using it entirely...he is admittedly not trained in natural remedies and only sees that so many of his patients have substantially lowered their cholesterol levels by using statin medications. By that single benchmark it is hard for him to repudiate its continued use unless specific blood chemistry reactions dictate otherwise (such as liver or kidney damage).

It is a very complex and confusing issue indeed. If any TV readers have examined this issue and have formed thoughts about it, I would be interested in hearing from you, either via the Forum or by PM.

Thanks! Good post.

The value of a forum such as this is again illustrated by posts such as these from actual personal experiences, presented in an objective fashion.

Agreed, the symptoms are probably due to Lipitor and I think the course of action, diet as well as other natural remedies are worth trying IF there are no underlying or existing cardiac problems which may put you at risk.

Regular follow up of the blood lipid profile should be done.

The general consensus is still that statins do save lives and no physician is likely to advise stopping it completely.

Good detective work and now you are starting to take control over your own health.

The whole cholesterol debate is very murky there is certainly plenty of evidence to suggest that many people are unecessarily taking prescription drugs where there are very dubious benefits and where lifestyle and dietary changes may achieve the same result.

Thanks! Good post.

The value of a forum such as this is again illustrated by posts such as these from actual personal experiences, presented in an objective fashion.

Agreed, the symptoms are probably due to Lipitor and I think the course of action, diet as well as other natural remedies are worth trying IF there are no underlying or existing cardiac problems which may put you at risk.

Regular follow up of the blood lipid profile should be done.

The general consensus is still that statins do save lives and no physician is likely to advise stopping it completely.

There is plenty of good scientific research that doesn't think statins save lives to the contrary plenty of research to say that they are at best worthless and at the worst detrimental to health.

fore man

I had much the same problem from taking Lipitor. I quit after a month and all the symptoms cleared up.

Now I take Niaspan 500mg daily with no side effects, have been taking it for about six months. It is not a statin-class drug. You might ask your Dr. about it. Have not have my cholesterol checked since I started taking it.

I am also on statin drugs and I find the benefits questionable even though I don't notice any serious side effects. However, do not just stop your statin drugs cold turkey! See a doctor if you want to. There is a high rate of mortality for people who just stop taking these meds.

Edited by Jingthing

fore man

I had much the same problem from taking Lipitor. I quit after a month and all the symptoms cleared up.

Now I take Niaspan 500mg daily with no side effects, have been taking it for about six months. It is not a statin-class drug. You might ask your Dr. about it. Have not have my cholesterol checked since I started taking it.

Thanks, BTDT! I haven't looked into a replacement cholesterol-controlling medication. I'll look into this, but want to see how my lifestyle changes will affect things.

You know, my former LA-area doctor, an old golf-loving GP, told me in plain English about 12 years ago (paraphrased):

"Look, I know you are a disciplined person who can probably control his diet well, but with Lipitor, why worry anymore? Eat and drink what you like and let the medicine take care of things."

With dozens and dozens of patients taking the same drug, I wonder what his advice would be today on the same issue...

I am also on statin drugs and I find the benefits questionable even though I don't notice any serious side effects. However, do not just stop your statin drugs cold turkey! See a doctor if you want to. There is a high rate of mortality for people who just stop taking these meds.

Yes, I will do as you suggest...good advice. Thanks.

I took a statin drug briefly and developed terrible red raised rashes around my neck, chest and shoulders. Went off the statins and the rash went away. Fortunately for me, this side effect showed up very early on. So, on to more natural controls, eat healthier (tough, I love fried foods) and exercise.

My cholesteral levels have always been off the charts as with most in my family pointing to a genetic disposition. Before I came to Thailand, I tried rigid diets which brought it down but still nowhere near safe levels. I was prescribed statins (perhaps Liptor - not sure, small blue pill). A few months ago had a checkup and diagnosed with hypertension. My LDL/HDL tests were crazy and the doctor prescribed Crestor. After 6 weeks, my LDL was reduced in half and HDL up 25%. So far no side effects after 3 months but it is early on in treatment.

All drugs have side effects and it is always better, where the patient is willing and where it is possible to resolve problems through life style moderation instead.

Some people just aren't willing or able. Some people do their utmost but, due to genetic predisposition or the severity of their condition are unsuccessful.

Good luck in trying to get your lipids within normal range through diet, exercise etc. Hopefully you will succeed.

Should you not succeed, there are non-statin drugs that can be tried. They too may cause side effects, of course. Sometimes it uis a matter of choosing the lesser of two evils.

Of course, some people tolerate statins fine. This is pretty much true of all drugs as the incidence of side effects varies greatly from individual to individual. it can also change in the same individual over time. Unfortunately there is a tendency to be more susceptible to side effects as one ages, which creates a problem since it is also as we age that we become more likely to need chronic medication!

My (US) doctor prescribed Lipitor, telling me of several side effects, including leg cramps. My leg cramps were tear-inducing, and I tried a couple other statins. I had the same problem with those. The leg cramping is a well-known side effect, and was noticed during the initial clinical trials.

I have also looked into alternatives such as Omega-3 (I started eating more Tuna now, don't generally like fish though). Also came across this article on Niacin to increase HDL.

What impact does niacin have on cholesterol?

Niacin can raise HDL — the "good" cholesterol — by 15 percent to 35 percent. This makes niacin the most effective drug available for raising HDL cholesterol. While niacin's effect on HDL is of most interest, it's worth noting that niacin also decreases your LDL and triglyceride levels. High levels of LDL and triglycerides are significant risk factors for heart disease.

Source: Mayo Clinic

I have also looked into alternatives such as Omega-3 (I started eating more Tuna now, don't generally like fish though). Also came across this article on Niacin to increase HDL.
What impact does niacin have on cholesterol?

Niacin can raise HDL — the "good" cholesterol — by 15 percent to 35 percent. This makes niacin the most effective drug available for raising HDL cholesterol. While niacin's effect on HDL is of most interest, it's worth noting that niacin also decreases your LDL and triglyceride levels. High levels of LDL and triglycerides are significant risk factors for heart disease.

Source: Mayo Clinic

I have been taking Omacor 1000mg daily as well as Lipitor 40mg daily and my last fasting test showed that My LDL was 3.7.

Been on them for over 10 years and no problems, all liver/blood tests ok.

The possible side effects of lipitor are easily consulted on the leaflet with the meds,

you always should google for side effects before starting meds (and your dr should tell about them.)

Ok, so I knew the side effects and tried and had to stop lipitor.

Now I try omega fish oils and niacin and cut fat and sugar. Niacin should be slow release type.

(my cholesterol is unnaturally high because of other meds I have to take daily).

Edited by orchis

Scientists are identifying more and more positive benefits of taking statin drugs. Here's the latest:

In a large-population study those taking a statin were found to have reduced risk of developing blood clots in the veins. "Relatively healthy people who took a potent statin were 43 percent less likely than those who took a placebo to get a blood clot known as venous thromboembolism." These are the clots which often start in the legs and can kill you if they travel to the lungs.

Studying blood clots was only a secondary goal. The same study had previously found "that the statin lowered the risk of heart attack by more than half and significantly lowered the risk of stroke, angioplasty, bypass surgery and death."

The study "involved 17,802 people — men 50 and older and women 60 and older — in 26 countries who took either a statin or a placebo."

The statin in the study was rosuvastatin aka Crestor. The scientists are not sure that the same effect would be obtained from other statins. The study was sponsored by AstraZeneca, Crestor's maker which obviously has much to gain, but led by researchers at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, a very highly respected institution, reported in the New England Journal of Medicine and presented at the American Cardiology Convention last Sunday.

So make of it what you will. Source: The New York Times.