Bangkok Rubgy Clubs

As a YOUNG veteran rugby player who may be moving to Thailand in the near future and who plans to live in Bangkok if I do, I am curious as to what the scene is for ex pat rugby players, having played at a good standard over the years, i may even consider coaching and contributing in that manner, first i need to find a club, i'm going to be living relatively close to Don Muang airport and so ideally if there is anything in that district then great otherwise im happy to travel.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

As a YOUNG veteran rugby player who may be moving to Thailand in the near future and who plans to live in Bangkok if I do, I am curious as to what the scene is for ex pat rugby players, having played at a good standard over the years, i may even consider coaching and contributing in that manner, first i need to find a club, i'm going to be living relatively close to Don Muang airport and so ideally if there is anything in that district then great otherwise im happy to travel.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

check out the Southerners Bangkok.

They train at the ISB ground, which is out your way. Other teams are about, including the British Club. I'm sure if you are good enough then the RSBC may try and find a way to get you in (though the RSBC is more Thai than foreigner....but with the best facilities!)

Thnks for this Samran, I'll searchout the websites and make some enquiries, Could become an international YET !!! lol

Also is there any junior setups at these clubs? i've a newborn son and will certainly be looking at him playing if he wants to in years to come, I'm plannin on him being the 3rd thai/english international after the Underwoods LOL

Thanks again for the info

no idea at kids level sorry.

Also realised that I did the acronym for the Royal Bangkok Sports Club wrong. It is a pretty exclusive club, think MCC but with very good facilities. However, temporarty access can be arranged for those deemed superior sporting ability, so I've been told.

• 2 weeks later...

southerners-bangkok.com is what you want.

British Club used to be good but is now almost a purely Thai club.

Old Bangkok Bangers are a vets team with some young guys but not what you want if you are under 35.

Bangkok Lions is the junior rugby in Bangkok.

Get on and play with Southerners and get your kid in with the Lions when he's ready.

Enjoy...

• 1 month later...

Hi Pauly - we welcome all newcomers, whether full players or supporters. Obviously it would be good to get you out on the paddock though! The standard is mixed, from guys who have played Super 14 standard, through to guys who have played a bit in their teens and want to get back out again.

We also have teams in netball (womens, also some occasional informal mixed), cricket (mens) and touch rugby (womens, mixed) if you or your partner is also keen to get involved in these as well. Each of the sections regularly tours across Thailand and the region. We also get out for the odd game of social golf if you're keen.

In terms of training, samran is right on - we train Thursdays at the moment at ISB school in the north, which isn't too far from Don Muang. We also run informal fitness sessions on Tuesdays at Queen Sirikit Park if you're in town and looking for a run after work.

Whenever you land get in contact with us via our site - www.southerners-bangkok.com - the relevant contact details can be found there.

Cheers

Southos