Honda Sonic 125

I have a October 2008 Honda Sonic 125 and have done about 1100km on it now.

I seem to remember it going somewhat faster then 130 km/h when I just had it and now it's top speed is just over 120km/h.

I am about 100kg 1.82.

How fast is your Sonic ?

And whats available to speed things up ?

Also when riding it in busy traffic going slow between the car the temperature meter goes to 3/4 of the scale.

Is this normal ?

Honda says it is normal when they came and checked the bike out.

However they said the water cooling was very small on this model and its normal.

So how about it other owners, you see the same thing ?

I am used to big bikes in Europe and the temperature meter on that never moved regardless of how hot the weather or riding gets.

Greetings,

Brian

The cooling on the Sonic is mostly dependant on airflow from the bike moving. Most bigger bikes have cooling fans and larger cooling systems, plus the ambient air temperature is usually cooler there, possibly why you haven't noticed as much temp increase.

I'm considering buying a Sonic also, would appreciate your opinion on the pros & cons.

John

@ John

Yes I am aware of this. I just thought the engineers at Honda should have designed a bigger cooling system on this Sonic as it seems not to be able to keep the temperature stable so my question is it just my bike or is this really a design issue on the Honda Sonic.

The Honda Sonic is often used as motorcycle taxi so I expected it would be bike without any issues like this.

I see a lot of Sonic drive with covers at the front removed. I think its because of the cooling issue.

If I had to buy a bike again I would pay a bit more and get the CBR150 (more power and top speed) that said the Honda Sonic is a nice bike to drive around.

Other then my questions I posted above I have no problems with the Sonic.

But mind it, its not a good shopping bike , get a Wave if that what you want it for.

If you get a Sonic wait, as I hear the Sonic Injection is coming out this year.

I will keep my Sonic as I am okay with it as bike for around the house and get a bigger bike later.

The cooling problem isn't really an issue, as long as it doesn't overheat. Consider that variance in temperature the head of a bike that is air cooled goes through under the same circumstances.

I am also interested in the CBR150, and though the engines are very closely related, the little extra displacement and extra gear are helpful. The main reason I would still consider the Sonic, is because it has saturated the market for years, in many countries, under one name or the other, and you can get parts and repairs pretty much anywhere. It's a little cheaper and faster than most every other bike in that class, except for the CBR. Not to mention more durable if you should drop it, smack it, flip it up or rub it down...er, you know what I mean.

I really want to do some backpack/motorbike travel/migration around the region, so maybe the Sonic would serve my purposes first, then a CBR later.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to ride both before I decide.

Let me know if you decide to get rid of yours to get a CBR. Maybe we can both get our use out of that one. I'm in no rush.

"Let me know if you decide to get rid of yours to get a CBR. Maybe we can both get our use out of that one. I'm in no rush."

I will but I am also in no rush :o

I have tried a CBR 150 and I do not see much difference with a Sonic its still a light bike to me.

The CBR has come down in price as when I was looking for a bike in october 2008 they cost about 72000 now they cost 62000. (20k more then the Sonic).

Seem to me they are getting rid of the non injection stock now.

If the price difference had only been 10k at the time I would have gone for the CBR.

• 3 weeks later...

post-43611-1240054677_thumb.jpg

Never goes into red , just stops at the edge of white range.

And this is how it sometimes looks after a 40km drive on a hot day.

The cooling on these Sonics is just not up to the job in Thailand.

The engine is adapted from a CBR125 like they use in the UK and Honda added watercooling to that engine.

They should have added some more cooling capacity as I have spoken to several other Sonic owners now and they all seem to have this same problem.

And thats why you can see so many Sonics driving around BKK without the front plastic covers because it improves the airflow and so helps to keep it cooler.

So much much for Honda Design...

The cooling problem isn't really an issue, as long as it doesn't overheat. Consider that variance in temperature the head of a bike that is air cooled goes through under the same circumstances.

I am also interested in the CBR150, and though the engines are very closely related, the little extra displacement and extra gear are helpful. The main reason I would still consider the Sonic, is because it has saturated the market for years, in many countries, under one name or the other, and you can get parts and repairs pretty much anywhere. It's a little cheaper and faster than most every other bike in that class, except for the CBR. Not to mention more durable if you should drop it, smack it, flip it up or rub it down...er, you know what I mean.

I really want to do some backpack/motorbike travel/migration around the region, so maybe the Sonic would serve my purposes first, then a CBR later.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to ride both before I decide.

Let me know if you decide to get rid of yours to get a CBR. Maybe we can both get our use out of that one. I'm in no rush.

Why wouldn't you get the CBR. Much funner, safer due to a bit more power, and more stable. No wider than a sonic. I did notice slightly less a turning angle from the Wave though. Very light still. Hardly noticeable from the 125s and it looks better, and rides better and smoother.

Is it that hard on cash to spend an extra 20k? Besides you can get practically brand new CBRs for 40k everywhere on the internet. Second hand 6 months, etc, etc. Guy bought, wants a bigger bike. Falang going home. Etc, etc. When I was looking I saw what seemed like hundreds of CBR 150s for 40k. Top condition, low kms, practically new. But I settled for one for 30k, 4 year old Repsol edition, with 16k kilos on it. Beautiful. Theres no shortage of parts for CBRs. Well I guess I'm in Bangkok. I'm not sure where you are. Honda sells them by the masses. But a second hand one. Chances of it breaking down are slim, and any repairs won't cost much at all. A muffler for me was 400 baht. Get a second hand one for 30k, and if it needs repairs, it will take a long time to have even invested the amount of a new Sonic.

I'm even thinking of selling mine to get a 400cc bike.

If your thinking about the highway you will be limited or disappointed by a 125, unless its some old 2 stroke with balls. The CBR is even of course very limited for the highway, but it is doable. You can keep up with and be passing most traffic. Except for the odd speedster, I am the fastest guy when I drive to Pattaya on the CBR. With a 125 you would have to sneak along the left. With a CBR you can become apart of highway traffic.

Edited by lennya12threh

I was going for small bike for around the house so I figured the Sonic would be a nice change from the 125 Wave I had before.

And having a Disk brake was a big improvement as my old Wave only had drum brakes.

I tried the CBR125 but at 20k more (that was last year) I did not think it was worth it due to it still being a small bike, however if I had know the Sonic has a cooling issue I would have been happy to pay a bit more for a CBR instead !

In Europe I had a GSX750 with over 100HP so I doubt a CBR150 is going 2 give a feeling of speed :o

If I get another bike its going to be something like a Kawa ER-6n or the new Ninja ZX-10R they now sell in Thailand.

The small bike is just to wizz around here to the 7-11 or the gym.

@Zzinged

The reason I asked about top speed is its an indication of power a bike has, if other Sonics are doing 130 or 140km top speed and mine does 120km/h I know its down on power and something is wrong and I can go rub my dealers nose in it.

Edited by brianinbangkok

Top speed is also affected by weight though. You might need to find someone else around your weight who also has the same model as you. As for power mods.... a better breathing air filter and slightly larger exhaust might help. not sure :o

Yes I know I am fat old man hehehe.

Easier to try one of my friends who is a more Thai weight and see how fast it goes with him or her on it.

I was just looking for other Sonic owners to get a feel of whats normal for this bike.

I'm the same weight as you :D If I ever get my hands on a Sonic I'll be sure to let you know how fast that one can go :o

• 9 months later...

I have a 2nd Hand Sonic RS Super (I beleive - not sure of year, but it has the Super's Mag Wheels and black/grey paint scheme) with about 28,xxxkm on it and my temp gauge never goes above half. It actually takes over 20min to reach median temperature. If I knew the VIN coding I could say for sure what year & model I have.

• 2 months later...
I can't get above 120km/h so let me know how u do if u ever get your hands on a Sonic :)

jesus man you say that at the first 1.xxx KM you actually topped the speed and you try to do that many times? You're actually killing it. It needs some time untill the engine gets at its normal. You can start topping up anything after the first 5 - 7.xxx KMs. I remember when I did the same on my first motorbike i bought it and at the first 1.xxx I topped up. At 4.xxx my power was down from 125 km/h to 105. DON'T DO IT AGAIN!

Oh and about that shit with the CBR150, Man just leave it. CBR150 has a great problem with it's engine. And the top speed is something like 20km better than sonic, all stock ofc. If modified sonic can go WAY faster. CBR cannot modify too much. The engine will be dead at the first 10 days. I tried allready.

A sonic 125cc though... have you ever seen a 125cc 4 stroke shit that can go 240? We were scared to try more cause mb the engine can not go any further, but there was more power. Right now I think almost no motorbike can go that further at the same CC. Anyway, Take care of your motorbikes. You want it fast? Wait 7.xxx km and again don't do it every day. cheers. :D