New Censorship Rules Affect Thai Visa

toptuan

Foreigners must disclose website postings - translated and summarized from Matichon; April 1, 2009

New regulations in effect from April require foreign visa holders (whether tourist or those applying for B, M, or O-type visas) to disclose if they are owners of a website or intend to post information about Thailand on a website forum or blog.

Website owners who work in Thailand must possess a Thai business registration in the form of a limited partnership even if the site is hosted overseas.

If a visa-holder intends to post material to a website--including internet forums and blogs--the posting must first be approved by the Ministry of Culture. Forms for the approval process will be handed out with the Thai Immigration entry card upon arrival or approval can be submitted via an online form at the Ministry of Culture website.

Visa holders will also be required to install "Cyber Cop" program to ensure they abide by the new regulations that restrict the viewing of some websites within Thailand. This program will automatically upload the latest blocklists without the user having to do anything.

The Ministry will not use the new regulations to censor political speech. Instead, the Ministry is mainly focusing on material that might be of detriment to Thai tourism or the country's image in general.

Courtesy, 2Bangkok.com

Implications of the new ruling:

You wanna post a thought here on TV? Get an application form first!

You wanna continue your personal blog? Get an application form first!

You have a visa (tourist or otherwise) in Thailand? The law now says: Get "Cyber Cop" program and install it on your computer, so your web-surfing can be better controlled by the government.

The noose tightens over the neck of free speech and thought in LOS.

We'll see how this plays out on the enforcement end of things.

Edited by toptuan

April fools

Wishful thinking...you're taking the easy way out, Dakhar.

You've got a finger and a mouse. Check out the source.

I also have a few other things

1) A brain

2) a job

3) a huge pair of B****

4) Hair on my head

5) two beautiful boys

etc

What I do not have is:

1) Time

2) Money

And due to that, I dont have the time to "google" this prank.... if it is not a prank, then Thialand remains what it is....

Although this must be an April fool story I for one would not put it past the powers that be to think something up like this. The issue here is whether it is workable and that's where they always get it wrong in Thailand, it is just impossible to implement.

Foreigners must disclose website postings - translated and summarized from Matichon; April 1, 2009
Instead, the Ministry is mainly focusing on material that might be of detriment to Thai tourism or the country's image in general.

Well that would cut out a whole load of the stuff here! :o

I do have the time to Google it but must get off to grab some lunch.

OMG! :D They are making criminals out of all of us.....I wonder if they will let us share a cell, all 70 something thousand of us :o

Certainly we will be share the deluxe accommodation - one bucket per cell

Leg chains not required as we won't be able to move anyway

Food - no hab - but the obesity and alcohol problemswil soon disappear

Communicable diseases - the condom will re rinsed in the aforementioned bucket after every ten usages

Gotta be an April fools, or George is cranking the 1984 machine on TV to new levels!

Cause if it's true it means wanting to be the anonymous grey man will become illegal! :o

I dont' believe it was george that posted the original article. And its easy enough to look it up in Matichon and see if its true.

I recall the requirement to register the information of all foreigners using public internet (Bangkok Airways lounge scans your boarding pass before allowing you internet access) so its not so farfetched, if it weren't the 1st of April, of course :D

Bleedin' well hope that it is April Fools prank... tho' TiT

errrrrrrrr , thats what i was thinking till i did a google search

http://www.globalpost.com/webblog/thailand...net-and-control

' Amazing Thailand '

it is from "Not The Nation" which is a boring joke page....

So simply forget it....

"boring joke page"

ah, your simplicity is a beacon -- to be avoided.

April fools

1) A brain

2) a job

3) a huge pair of B****

4) Hair on my head

5) two beautiful boys

etc

What I do not have is:

1) Time

2) Money

And due to that, I dont have the time to "google" this prank.... if it is not a prank, then Thialand remains what it is....

Would you mind clarifying "Boobs" or "Balls" on #3, just so we can get the correct mental picture?

April fools

1) A brain

2) a job

3) a huge pair of B****

4) Hair on my head

5) two beautiful boys

etc

What I do not have is:

1) Time

2) Money

Would you mind clarifying "Boobs" or "Balls" on #3, just so we can get the correct mental picture?

http://tastybooze.com/wp-content/gallery/p...uirrel_nuts.jpg