Like Thai Food, Miss Spuds

jayenram

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A different spring roll.

Boil 3/4 kg of spuds. Let them cool and cut them into 1/4" dice.

Fry a decent sized chopped onion in a few tbsp of oil. Throw in a cup of peas, 1 tbsp of grated fresh ginger, a few chopped chillies, a handful of chopped fresh coriander and 3 tbsp of water. Cook slowly until the peas are done. Lob in the spuds, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp ground coriander seeds, 1 tsp ground roasted cumin seeds, 1 tsp garam masala, 1/2 tsp chilli powder and 2 tbsp lemon juice. Cook slowly for 5 minutes. Leave to cool.

Make spring rolls with the above filling out of that thin pastry stuff (should make about 50)

Deep fry.

Eat hot or cold.

• 4 weeks later...

Proper Fish Cakes.

Get hold of some red snapper fillets.

Peal a couple of spuds and cut them into 1/4" slices around the size of the snapper fillets. Blanch the spuds for 3 minutes or so. Put each fillet between two pieces of sliced potatoes to make like a sarnie. Dip in batter and deep fry until golden brown. Smother with salt and vinegar and eat hot.

Not Thai related but good nevertheless.

Boil 1/4 kg of spuds and let them cool. Cut into 3/4" cubes.

Soak 1/2 kg cauliflower floweretes (about 1.5" across) in water for 1/2 hour. Then drain.

Chuck 1 tsp cumin seeds into hot oil (about 4 tblsp) in a wok. After a few seconds chuck in the cauliflower bits and fry for a few minutes. Cover and simmer for another few mintes. Chuck in the spuds, 4 or 5 chopped chilis, ground cumin (1 tsp), ground coriander seed (1/2 tsp), ground turmeric (1/4 tsp), chili powder (1/2 tsp), salt (1 tsp) and pepper. Mix it all up and cook for another 5 minutes or so.

Then get it down yer neck!

55 Baht for a kilo of spuds?

Here in Ubon at Big C and Makro it's around 25-30 for a kilo now.

Tesco is more expensive.

The problem is with spuds from Makro is that you have to chuck half of them away. Therefore Bht 50.00 - 60.00 / kilo.

Big 'C' are usually better though.

I'll check the price next time I'm in.

What you will need. 1 tin opener, 1 fray bentos steak and kidney pie.

Open said tin and place in pre heated oven, gas mark 5. Cook for 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Recommended serving suggestions. Gin kondieow!

Claire.

Spuds and Beans

Peal (peel) a big potato and cut into chip-like strips about 75 mm long.

Slice up about 300 gm of yardlong green beans (Tua Fakyow).

Heat up 4 tblsp oil in a pan with a lid. Chuck in 1/2 tsp each of black mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Add in a large fine sliced onion, 1/2 dozen dried red chilis, and a dozen fenugreek seeds. Fry for 5 minutes or so.

Throw in 1 tblsp chopped coriander leaves and 1/2 tsp ground turmeric. Fry for another minute. Add the spuds, beans, a couple of chopped green chilis and 1 tsp salt. Cover and cook on a very low light for about 1/2 hour.

Add 1 tsp ground cumin and cook and stir for another few minutes.

Spuds and Beans

Peal (peel) a big potato and cut into chip-like strips about 75 mm long.

Slice up about 300 gm of yardlong green beans (Tua Fakyow).

Heat up 4 tblsp oil in a pan with a lid. Chuck in 1/2 tsp each of black mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Add in a large fine sliced onion, 1/2 dozen dried red chilis, and a dozen fenugreek seeds. Fry for 5 minutes or so.

Throw in 1 tblsp chopped coriander leaves and 1/2 tsp ground turmeric. Fry for another minute. Add the spuds, beans, a couple of chopped green chilis and 1 tsp salt. Cover and cook on a very low light for about 1/2 hour.

Add 1 tsp ground cumin and cook and stir for another few minutes.

OK,OK Enough,enough. When can you start? :o

The carrots looked very good in Big 'C' today:

200 gm carrots; 200 gm boiled, cooled spuds; 200 gm onion; 200 gm peas.

Cut them all up into 1/2" (12 mm) dice except the peas.

Heat 3 tblsp oil in a wokish sort of thing. Lob in a couple of teaspoons of cumin seeds and let then sizzle for a few seconds. Now a few dried red chilis, same, same. Add the onion and fry for 5 or so minutes. Add the carrots and peas. Stir them around for a bit and then cook covered on a low heat for 5 minutes. Turn up the heat and throw the spuds in with 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp sugar. Mix it all up and stir cook for 3 or 4 minutes. Add a finely sliced spring onion or two and fry for another 1/2 minute.

Better to remover the red chilis before eating.

and where does one find peas in Thailand? I've seen some bags of frozen mixed veggies at tescos but would be a hassle separating the peas from the rest...

Makro, Big 'C' and Tesco Lotus have frozen peas. Well they do up here in the sticks anyway! Where the h*ll do you live, Tutsi?

Which reminds me:

Chop up a cauliflower into 1" bits. Peel and cut a couple of spuds into 1/2" slices (chip-like). Heat 4 tblsp oil in a frying pan with a lid. Chuck in 1 tsp of whole cumin seeds and then a large chopped onion. Fry for about 5 minutes or so. Add 1/2 tsp ground turmeric, 1 tsp ground coriander seed and a teaspoon of chili powder. Stir fry for 3 or 4 minutes then add 2 or 3 chopped peeled tomatoes and the juice. Stir fry for another 3 or 4 minutes. Throw in the spuds and 200 ml warm water, cover and cook slowly for around 12 minutes (to 1/2 cook the spuds). Lob in the cauli and cook for another 10 minutes. Stir in 4 oz peas, 3 or 4 chopped green chilis, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 teaspoon garam masala. Cook for another 5 minutes and then stir in 1 tblsp chopped coriander leaves before serving.

I've just finished a platefull and it was bloody good.

OK, so it's not spuds but it goes well with spuds at a bar-b-que.

Mix 1 tbsp ground cumin seeds, 1 tblsp paprika, 2 tsp chili powder, 1 tblsp ground turmeric, 1 tsp ground black peppercorns, 3 tsp salt, 5 cloves garlic (mashed) and 6 tblsp lemon juice into a paste.

Trim 1.5 kg of chicken pieces and slot them 1/2 way through with a knife (children, ask your mum or dad to do this). Put all the chicken pieces into the marinade and mix up. Try to get the marinade right into the slots. Cover with that plasticky stuff and leave in the fridge for 3 hours minimum (overnight is better).

Bar-b-que the chicken until brown basting with oil and turning once or twice.

jay...I live in Suphanburi when in Thailand and we don't get much at the local tescos. I wanted to get some cumin seeds as I like to grind my own curry powder but no joy...only bottled prepared curry powder.

Send me a stamped addressed envelope, Tutsi. I have black cardomoms (from UK), green cardomoms (from KL), cumin and coriander seeds (from Surin), fenegreek and fennel seeds (from KL) etc. PM me.

1 x Packet of beef stroganoff, 1 kilo beef, 1 chopped onion, 1 chopped carrot, 1 chopped leak, half a kilo of mushrroms and a couple of chopped spuds.

Mix the packet of stroganoff in 1 and a half pints of water.

Fry off the beef and onion until brown.....Add to the sauce with the rest of the ingredients. Place in a pre-heated oven for two hours on gas mark 3.

Just had it for my tea......Still farting!!!!!!!

Claire.

A Snack

Cut 1/2 kg of spuds into thin chip like things (a bit like what McDonald's call french fries).

Put 1 chopped onion, 4 or 5 cloves of garlic, and a few dried red chilis in a blender. Blend it to a paste. Put it in a bowl and mix in 1 tsp ground cumin seed and 1/2 tsp ground coriander seed.

Deep fry the spuds until brownish and crisp. Drain on kitchen paper.

Heat about 3 tbsp oil in another pan. Stir fry the spice mixture on a low flame until it is brownish. Now chuck in the chip-like spuds and 1 tsp salt and mix them all up for a while.

Drain off the oil and serve with a few quarts of *chang*.

A Snack

Cut 1/2 kg of spuds into thin chip like things (a bit like what McDonald's call french fries).

Put 1 chopped onion, 4 or 5 cloves of garlic, and a few dried red chilis in a blender. Blend it to a paste. Put it in a bowl and mix in 1 tsp ground cumin seed and 1/2 tsp ground coriander seed.

Deep fry the spuds until brownish and crisp. Drain on kitchen paper.

Heat about 3 tbsp oil in another pan. Stir fry the spice mixture on a low flame until it is brownish. Now chuck in the chip-like spuds and 1 tsp salt and mix them all up for a while.

Drain off the oil and serve with a few quarts of *chang*.

Are those quarts shared or swallowed alone ? :o

Hey Mods...........................can't we have a new section

'Fanny Jayenrams Cookery Corner'

In fact in all seriousness,it might be an idea for a Cookery Corner, there might after all be a lot more budding Jamie Olivers out there.

:o