Would You Go To A Nightclub Where They Insist On Seeing Your Passport?

G54

As the topic says - Would you go to a nightclub where they insist on seeing your passport?

No other form of ID will do or a copy of the passport.

There have been numerous incidents at this place in the past with Thai people (men) fighting and the police being called. 1 stabbing I know of.

Yet it is a very popular place. Always packed out to the rafters. Quite a few Thai people I know go there and they think I am weird for being reluctant to go, passport in pocket.

My concern would be taking the passport and possibly losing it or having it stolen. In that case it would mean a lot of hassle with no visa, no passport itself, and other possible problems associated with it.

That happened to us the last time I was there in 2004....very strange. I showed it to the older guy in civilian clothes who demanded to see it. I didn't like it or understand why that was necessary but complied. He was courteous and didn't try to hang on to our passports but we didn't go back after that weird experience.

Well you've had the answer and the answer is no but in situations like this do they just look at your passport and let you in or do they make a copy or note down the number or even check the visa?

Maybe as they've had bother in the past the BiB have told them to enforce "no ID no entry" across the board, no exceptions or no licence. I don't see what good that does if trouble breaks out but maybe in the aftermath of previous problems they found underage people in there.

Yes I would and would be proud to show my Passport. My opinion it's the law in the Kingdom that you carry your passport/or copy of it with you and we as vistors should comply, however this law is like so many here in the land of smiles that are seldom if ever enforce, so it understandable if one is ask to show it sometime. This happen to me in Nov 08 on a visit to Isan at a guest house that I have stay in many time before, i.e., a new clerk on staff made the request, the CEO/owner was nearby and told her never mind sign me in via Thai Driver license ID, now I hear tell the power that be might start to enforce this law to the Max soon, no not an April fool joke. :o

What are they checking for ,age ?. over 21 ?. this happened to me in the US,i was at a bar/night club .i asked for id," what for " i asked,, he says checking age, ! at 45 i was flattered,......... bullshit i thought,.

I don't carry my passport and they can KMA,next bar.

What bar insists on a passport?! I never show it to anyone, NOT ANYONE, never not gotten in somewere, my Canadian drivers license has always been enough. Maybe you have always been to quick to do whatever they ask? I always say I live and work here and don't carry my dam_n passport with me.

As the topic says - Would you go to a nightclub where they insist on seeing your passport?

No other form of ID will do or a copy of the passport.

There have been numerous incidents at this place in the past with Thai people (men) fighting and the police being called. 1 stabbing I know of.

Yet it is a very popular place. Always packed out to the rafters. Quite a few Thai people I know go there and they think I am weird for being reluctant to go, passport in pocket.

My concern would be taking the passport and possibly losing it or having it stolen. In that case it would mean a lot of hassle with no visa, no passport itself, and other possible problems associated with it.

I really dont think someone is going to steal a Passport !!!!

Edited by pattaya_girl

Yes I would and would be proud to show my Passport. My opinion it's the law in the Kingdom that you carry your passport/or copy of it with you and we as vistors should comply, however this law is like so many here in the land of smiles that are seldom if ever enforce, so it understandable if one is ask to show it sometime. This happen to me in Nov 08 on a visit to Isan at a guest house that I have stay in many time before, i.e., a new clerk on staff made the request, the CEO/owner was nearby and told her never mind sign me in via Thai Driver license ID, now I hear tell the power that be might start to enforce this law to the Max soon, no not an April fool joke. :o

Sounds like another 'Thailand Urban myth' that visitors in the Kindom must carry their passports with them at all times. This has been mentioned many times by mean posters, but I am YET to see the portion of legislation that states this.

Having been bouncing around Thailand for a little while myself, I doubt the legislation actually exists. I am sure that it is a requirement for people to carry acceptable identification, just as the thais are expected to carry their ID cards.

Ohh & to answer the OP's question: "No".

Edited by neverdie

There is a well known non-commercial Bankok gay nightlife district mostly for Thais where there have been reports for years that they require a passport for foreigners, no exceptions, no excuses, no copies, no drivers licenses. I am not sure if they are sending a unwelcoming message or they have a police problem, but no, I would never go to a nightclub with my passport. Who wants to steal a passport? Well a western passport is worth perhaps 10,000 dollars on the street. And then you could lose it, damage it, get it wet, etc. Its not worth it.

Edited by Jingthing

There is a well known non-commercial Bankok gay nightlife district mostly for Thais where there have been reports for years that they require a passport for foreigners, no exceptions, no excuses, no copies, no drivers licenses. I am not sure if they are sending a unwelcoming message or they have a police problem, but no, I would never go to a nightclub with my passport. Who wants to steal a passport? Well a western passport is worth perhaps 10,000 dollars on the street. And then you could lose it, damage it, get it wet, etc. Its not worth it.

Perhaps a bit of Jing thing hyperbole??? :o

Years ago in Caracas I went out from my hotel, walked to a nightclub and was  asked for my passport.  Had to walk back to hotel, get the passport, enter the club and what a club it was.  I guess there was some sort of law against seeing fornication live for the Cariocas :o.

Are there seriously people out there who actually carry their passports with them ? I never have, never will and if anyone wants to come see it I can print a copy of everything from the internet or they can come to wherever I am staying and view it there.

The downsides of losing it are so great that no upside, save for perhaps getting married or going to the airport to fly out, are worth the risk.

go to gay forum with this stuff jingthing were not interested in knowing about the gay scene here.even in topics about restaurants you refer to the restaurant being owned by a gay owner .are you trying to tell us all something here :o

name the places you are talking about that want to see passports to gain entry ..never came accross this before
Time Out Bar

Royal City Avenue

A dance bar on this nightlife street holds a gay night every Thursday. It demands foreigners bring passports which makes it a very Thai scene.

go to gay forum with this stuff j

The topic was nightclubs asking for passports.

Edited by Jingthing

name the places you are talking about that want to see passports to gain entry ..never came accross this before

RCA Route 66 - BKK.

I was just at route66, didn't show them ANY id! Had my crivers licence ready but wasn't needed. Maybe I'm getting old looking... oh noes.

I went to restaurant/nigtclub in bangkk had to show passport I think it was called the bed it was ok bit to yuppy fo me felt like a fish ou of water

Never went back again dont like to carry passport around to much

I have been to night clubs in the west (UK) that take photo ID. They scan it in and it records details - only allowed certain ID like drivers license and passports etc. If you get thrown out he computer that scans your ID will remember you and even with different ID form it will match you. A guy on the door does the scanning and obviously checks the ID is valid and the photo is of you.

I think it would be good if we could get proper ID cards - even if we had to pay for them and they were marked as non-citizen or something - as long as the same process was used as Thai ID cards - this would make for a useful ID that could be carried around, scrutinised by the authorities (police etc) and used in place of a passport. No long termer wants to carry their passport around infinitum it would simply disolve with use of get lost.

I have been to night clubs in the west (UK) that take photo ID. They scan it in and it records details - only allowed certain ID like drivers license and passports etc. If you get thrown out he computer that scans your ID will remember you and even with different ID form it will match you. A guy on the door does the scanning and obviously checks the ID is valid and the photo is of you.

I think it would be good if we could get proper ID cards - even if we had to pay for them and they were marked as non-citizen or something - as long as the same process was used as Thai ID cards - this would make for a useful ID that could be carried around, scrutinised by the authorities (police etc) and used in place of a passport. No long termer wants to carry their passport around infinitum it would simply disolve with use of get lost.

What does it say to you as you are thrown out [cue metallic voice] "Get-out-of-this-establishment-and-do-not-attempt-to-darken-the-doorstep-again-or-you-will-be-EXTERMINATED". :o

As for the ID cards I agree that they would solve a lot of problems, don't know why the Thai authorites don't offer a service of making encapsulated official copies of passport pages for visitors for a couple of hundred Baht. It would certainly make things a lot less uncertain, as NerverDie says there is this "rule" about carrying your passport but in all the years I livd there I was never asked nor was anybody I knew.