Pictures Of The Dead

robbiecia

Most of you are aware of the national obsession for pictures of dead bodies all over the newspapers, and hey, i have no problem with this.

However, on a recent visit to a land transport department to renew the Driving Licence, it was almost impossible not to notice all the graphic pictures of the dead.

I am not talking small pictures here, but huge poster sized pin ups

From having a good gander at these pictures of traffic accidents, it was quite obvious to me why they post these pictures in the waiting area.

For the shock value (To me anyway)

It doesn't seem to work with the locals though, as most of them drive like lunatics

What's your take on this

I entirely agree !!

Unfortunately, as we know, the Thai reference manual to driving seems to be video games and these 'trash movies' like "The Fast and The Furious".

No one cares !

The police don't care, the politicians don't care.

I entirely agree !!

Unfortunately, as we know, the Thai reference manual to driving seems to be video games and these 'trash movies' like "The Fast and The Furious".

No one cares !

'And of course, you can substantiate this infantile rant of yours? Facts? Figures? No? Thought not. Back under the bridge young man.

Regards.

Most of you are aware of the national obsession for pictures of dead bodies all over the newspapers, and hey, i have no problem with this.

However, on a recent visit to a land transport department to renew the Driving Licence, it was almost impossible not to notice all the graphic pictures of the dead.

I am not talking small pictures here, but huge poster sized pin ups

From having a good gander at these pictures of traffic accidents, it was quite obvious to me why they post these pictures in the waiting area.

For the shock value (To me anyway)

It doesn't seem to work with the locals though, as most of them drive like lunatics

What's your take on this

Yes its grim. But remember this is a Buddhist country, and there are different views here about preservation of life at all costs, and what happens after death. Fatalism and karma rule. Some months ago I was going for an early morning bike ride and noticed some police and others a way ahead looking into a ditch on the side of the road. Assuming someone had probably come off a motorbike I pedalled slowly past the police vehicle only to be greeted by the corpse of a man in the early stages of rigor mortis - completely uncovered, lying on the road in front of the vehicle. The police and others were clearly more interested in the mans' motorbike rather than his corpse. Afer all he was dead. The small crowd laughed as I swerved to avoid the body. The incident disturbed me a bit, but of course drew more amusement from my Thai family when I got home. Farlang do seem to have different values about life and death from many Thais.

I entirely agree !!

No one cares !

'And of course, you can substantiate this infantile rant of yours? Facts? Figures? No? Thought not. Back under the bridge young man.

Regards.

Or perhaps personal experience - driving? observation? bribes before lottery day? Doesn't take too much effort to see what he says is accurate. Only takes a couple of trips on the road here to see it first hand. Likely, no one does really care. If you are banishing the poster to a cave, perhaps you should go back to your cave... or open your eyes when you are on the road here.

I think it's not a bad thing to show bodies.

In the western world, it is politically incorrect as they say. I always wondered why. It's almost as if people don't want to acknowledge that it is a dead person.

Look at video games. When something gets killed, the body disappears. Soldier's coming home from war in caskets are not allowed to be shown in pictures in the media.

It's all as if they didn't really die.

At least Thailand is honest about death and probably shows it to remind others of what could happen to them. Sort of like the pics on the cigarette packs.

I think we talk about a few different things here.

One is about getting used to dead people, or looking at death in a different way.

Another is the fact that a lot of people get a thrill out of seeing dead bodies that especially are dammaged. Kind of exciting for them.

Then we have the missunderstanding about the Buddhism in this. A crowd standing around taking a picture of a badly dammaged body has nothing to do with Buddhism. Its a cultural (national maybe) thing.

Back in the real world, 'once upon a time', the highway patrol would come in once a year (at our request) and show a edited video of the aftermath of traffic accidents. Our vehicle accident rate would drop for several months after all employees watched these graphic scenes. I always felt this should be a requirement for all companies who have vehicles on the public road system. This would, of course, need to be incorporated into a real licensed driver, safety program which were handled by trained, qualified individuals. The pictures that are displayed on tv, newspapers, public buildings, etc are kind of like putting a band aid on fracture.

The photographs of the dead in any publication are meant to be provocative and to create a buzz that sells newspapers and magazines. The dead shown on the walls of government offices are someone's idea that showing by graphic accident victims will somehow scare the drivers into not drinking and safer driving practices. It may work but only for up to five minutes.

I actually saw a anti-drink driving TV advert the other evening. It seemed to be showing a man totally p!ssed driving his car. He was a comic drunk in that he had a bright red nose and was only just conscious. Anyway he then came to a police check where he obviously gett nabbed. He is then seen sitting on the floor looking full of regret. Of course I couldn't understand the dialogue but it seemed to put the message across not to get totally hammered as you might get lifted by the police, rather then the message 'don't drink and drive at all as you might kill someone'. Plus they forgot to include the bit about giving the BiB 200 baht to go on your way. :o

I noticed during Songkran 2008 on country roads, Police have set up very realistic looking accident scene; motorcycle accident involving dummies, bike on its side and fake blood on the side of the road. My first impression was of a REAL road accident - rider thrown from their bike.

The Thai driver didn't blink an eyelid - just kept driving past at the same speed ...

Peter

Media is media and is only providing what the public wants. And if they didn't show it... “some” would say it is a conspiracy ...that they didn't really kill him, he’s not actually dead!

I am afraid you either need to get used to it, or turn off the TV and throw away the paper, or just plainly ignore it!!!

Edited by teacup

One is about getting used to dead people, or looking at death in a different way.

Another is the fact that a lot of people get a thrill out of seeing dead bodies that especially are dammaged. Kind of exciting for them.

Then we have the missunderstanding about the Buddhism in this. A crowd standing around taking a picture of a badly dammaged body has nothing to do with Buddhism. Its a cultural (national maybe) thing.

The Thai version of Buddhism underpins the whole culture. Most Thais are practising Buddhists. Thai attitudes to death are very much connected to Buddhism. I dont know many people that get a thrill out of seeing damaged dead bodies.?!

There is a cavalier attitude to the disposal of the dead. Oh sure they'll put on a great show at the cremation but until the body gets there it can get dumped or dragged along the ground. It goes hand in hand with a collective lack of compassion for those that are in dire straits. If there isn't much concern shown for a living destitute Burmese refugee, they're sure as F. aint going to be much for a dead Thai. I think alot of it has to do with a desire not to deal with the situation. Sort of the way a homicide detective will crack jokes at a horrific murder site as a means to cope with the emotional trauma.

Whenever there is a do on the meadow next to the lake in Namsom, albeit a farmers thanksgiving,local buisness tax payers, Khrong tham, there is always a big picture board of accidents, mainly motorsi, kids laying in the road with puddles of blood round there heads, obviosly dead,,

So im thinking, why are you cops showing this? [small police station in entrance to the festivides] all it tells me that you cops are not doing your job ensuring helmuts, 2 on a bike, no phones ect, and the cops sit by the lake all day as the 6 yo kids ride past, they all have cameras, and will only take a pic at a death scene, so they can put it on the next billboard,

www.safedriver.co.th

Regars, Lickey.

The Thai version of Buddhism underpins the whole culture. Most Thais are practising Buddhists. Thai attitudes to death are very much connected to Buddhism. I dont know many people that get a thrill out of seeing damaged dead bodies.?!

Still, I do not believe the need to show extremely detailed pictures of dead people on television, or crowds gathering around traffic victims, have anything to do with Buddhism. Even the Thai way of Buddhism.

The thrill people get is the same all over the world, but in many other countries, the Police (or the Medics) will try to cover the dead body as soon as possible, in order to take away this excitement people have. And out of some sort of respect for the dead person (or the relatives).

The media show it because they know people like to watch it.

Another aspect is the apparent indifference given towards the families of the victims.

Many of the pictures i saw involved kiddie passengers on motorbikes, just how would you feel walking in to a government office and seeing your dead kids all over the wall??

A few years ago, a young British couple were gunned down in Kanchanaburi, the following day their bloodied bodies were all over the (Thai) press.

Can you imagine how their parents, who came to Thailand to retrieve the bodies, would have felt seeing this??

I am aware of the cultural differences here, but what happened to common decency??

Back in the real world, 'once upon a time', the highway patrol would come in once a year (at our request) and show a edited video of the aftermath of traffic accidents.

I had the same in high school. The highway patrol would drop by the school library and leave the latest graphic mags around on tables. Nothing was kept back, covered over, tidied up. It was pretty shocking.