Thai Visa For 2 Y/o Child.

Hi. My 2 year old son (with a UK Passport) needs to visit his very ill Grandma in Thailand, and possibly stay for about 3 months. When my wife rang the embassy in London they advised that he should enter on a normal 30 day visa with my wife (I can not go with them) and then she apply for a Thai passport for him in Bangkok; for that we would apparently need something called a "CI" form, confirming that I (as his Father) approve. Can anyone advise, or offer any experience of a similar situation please? Many thanks in advance for any help.

Hi. My 2 year old son (with a UK Passport) needs to visit his very ill Grandma in Thailand, and possibly stay for about 3 months. When my wife rang the embassy in London they advised that he should enter on a normal 30 day visa with my wife (I can not go with them) and then she apply for a Thai passport for him in Bangkok; for that we would apparently need something called a "CI" form, confirming that I (as his Father) approve. Can anyone advise, or offer any experience of a similar situation please? Many thanks in advance for any help.

You probably do not have the time but he may be better applying for a Thai Passport at the Thai Embassy in London

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/newversion/passport.html

As said he could always enter Thailand with the 30 day Visa Exempt Stamp.

Even if he did that and overstayed a few months he would not be fined or deported as he is a Child.

One thing to think of. The airline can , and do refuse entry to the flight to passengers without a Visa and no onward flight ticket within 30 days of arrival.

Whether they would apply this to a 2 year old I doubt it. But it is something to bear in mind.

The application procedure for a Thai passport in Thailand itself can be found here:

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/473.php?id=3167

However, it will be easier to do it in the UK, as I presume your wife isn't registered on a housebook and nor is the child.

Yes, you would need to sign a document that you agree to your child getting a passport and notarize it.

Rules:

Both parents can accompany the child to apply for an e-Passport and sign the parental consent form.

or

- One parent must accompany the child to apply for an e-Passport. The other parent can appear and sign the parental consent form when he/she picks-up the e-Passport.

or

- One parent must accompany the child, signs the parental consent form, and submits a notarized consent letter of the non-appearing parent.

Many thanks for the advice, and apologies for the delay in saying so. Re the part about not fining us if my son over-stays his visa, is that established practice or would we be subject to the whims of the immigration officer on the day? Thanks again.

Many thanks for the advice, and apologies for the delay in saying so. Re the part about not fining us if my son over-stays his visa, is that established practice or would we be subject to the whims of the immigration officer on the day? Thanks again.

That is established practice. A lot of Immigration Offices will even suggest it. Technically it will still be overstay though.