Jetstar

duchovny

I'm looking too fly from Australia to Singapore then Thailand on Jetstar. They seem cheap enough, but is there leg room and interactive movies/music like Qantas/BA etc?

Is the food <deleted>?

Or is it worth paying a bit extra to fly with someone else?

I'm looking too fly from Australia to Singapore then Thailand on Jetstar. They seem cheap enough, but is there leg room and interactive movies/music like Qantas/BA etc?

Is the food <deleted>?

The only the thing they dont charge extra for is toilet paper. Trust me your way better of paying for full service carrier, usually end up around the same in the end. You even have pay for a blanket and last I flew you have to hire a portable dvd player type unit, getting the picture? They fly to Melb only and then connecting flights unless thats changed

Is the food <deleted>?

The only the thing they dont charge extra for is toilet paper. Trust me your way better of paying for full service carrier, usually end up around the same in the end. You even have pay for a blanket and last I flew you have to hire a portable dvd player type unit, getting the picture? They fly to Melb only and then connecting flights unless thats changed

Budget airlines are often never on time. Some of them cancel thier flights if they don't have enough passengers and put you on one of thier much later flights. This happened on One Two Go. Regular airlines have special offers especially if you book well in advance and you can cancell or change your flights which you can't do on budget airlines.

Whenever I've compared prices between Jetstar and Thai on the Bangkok - Melbourne route it's always been farly easy to find Jetstar flights for about $300 cheaper than Thai. Cost of a meal is about $15 and it's ok, I have a jacket with me so don't need a blanket, I always take a book to read and an MP3 player so I get by without in flight entertainment. They sell an entertainment pack so check the Jetstar site for all the prices charged for extras.

Leg room is not great so anyone over 180cm may prefer to pay the extra to fly Thai. I've flown Jetstar and Tiger many times and found them to be no worse than full fare airlines when it comes to punctuality. I've only flown to Melbourne once with Jetstar and would again if I was saving $300. If there was less than $100 difference I would probably fly Thai.

Is the food <deleted>?

You might try Singapore Airlines or Malasya Airlines as a better alternative, These two Airlines are the only two with 34 inch distance between seat in Y class. BA/QF/TG/LF and most others has only 31 inch.

JetStar has no food at all, you have to order and pay that extra.

Edited by Notariousus

You might try Singapore Airlines or Malasya Airlines as a better alternative, These two Airlines are the only two with 34 inch distance between seat in Y class. BA/QF/TG/LF and most others has only 31 inch.

Don't think those seat pitches are correct - SQ have 32" as a rule in economy (not sure about MH). TG's old (ie. ancient) cabins used to have up to 34" (like the old jumbos they had/have on the LHR-BKK route), but it varies by which bit of the cabin you're in. BA/QF can vary between 29" and 31" but are generally reckoned to be tighter than most other 'first division' full fare carriers.

Personally I wouldn't touch a budget carrier - and agree by the time all the add-ons are thrown in, they're not generally that much cheaper anyway. I'd go SQ - but it's a matter of individual choice of course.

CC

What about Thai nowdays, do they have the interactive movie/music/games console?

From Australia, yes. Though not sure about from Perth.

I wasn't aware that Perth was no longer in Australia.

Did WA break away and become an independant Republic? When did this happen?

I'll be travelling from Sydney and so far Im leaning towards Singapore Air.

Singapore Air have got a bit of a sale on at the mo'

I bought 3 x return tickets PER-SIN-BKK for AUD790 - inc tax, during the school holidays at the end of Sept. So less than AUD2300.00 total - Thai quoted AUD 3500 for the same on their website and SQ is far better than thai.

What about Thai nowdays, do they have the interactive movie/music/games console?

From Australia, yes. Though not sure about from Perth.

I wasn't aware that Perth was no longer in Australia.

Did WA break away and become an independant Republic? When did this happen?

I'll be travelling from Sydney and so far Im leaning towards Singapore Air.

Nice. Won't help you in future then.

Singapore Air have got a bit of a sale on at the mo'

I bought 3 x return tickets PER-SIN-BKK for AUD790 - inc tax, during the school holidays at the end of Sept. So less than AUD2300.00 total - Thai quoted AUD 3500 for the same on their website and SQ is far better than thai.

This link may assist anyone wanting to check out the cheap seats being offered by SIA at the moment;

Bestflights - Singapore Air Sale Fares

• 1 month later...

Budget airlines are often never on time

Either they are often not on time OR never on time; can't be both.

At least Jet* has Aussie pilots, and without being arrogant, they are the among the best trained in the world. I've flown for a number of airlines, and with pilots of many nationalities, but none are even close to Australians, Brits and Kiwis. It's all in the training!!

I try to ensure I travel with Australian, British or New Zealand carriers; there are none better up front.

• 8 months later...

Jetstar - MEL-BKK especially at promo rates can be anywhere up 2 $500 cheaper than its competitors. Only other comparison for direct flight as far as i am aware is Thai.

I just booked starclass @ promo rate - return ticket March - April for $1040. Previously have only ever flown economy with Jetstar usually sleep most of the way but never had a problem.

I will comment after returning as to whether starclass was worth it.

Edited by ahitchy

Jetstar - MEL-BKK especially at promo rates can be anywhere up 2 $500 cheaper than its competitors. Only other comparison for direct flight as far as i am aware is Thai.

I just booked starclass @ promo rate - return ticket March - April for $1040. Previously have only ever flown economy with Jetstar usually sleep most of the way but never had a problem.

I will comment after returning as to whether starclass was worth it.

I do not think they run this promotion BKK-MEL (return)

I took starclass last year, use the quanta’s lounge before departure (champagne & some correct food) as the meal offer in the starclass are the same as economy (just no charge).

On my return none of the dedicated check-in was open, and service was rude ! I write a complaint letter and got a call + complimentary voucher from them for next time.

I ring them from Mel, i was not sure if i was coming with the H1N1 and ask if i could change my return date, they very fast to tell you : As you using a StarClass at discount price the charge will be AU$200.

I am a tall guy & find difficult to travel with thai in economy (mainly the entertainment box under the seat)

I am really tossing at the airline i will use next time, malaysia airline is 20000 baht cheaper compare to Thaiairway (business)

The quote i got from Jetstar (StarClass 48000 bahts), it is half the price compare to thai business class.

I will be happy not to fly with Jetsar

If you want to get on-board, have a well maintained bus, a well trained pilot, pay for whatever you need for the 8 - 9 hour flight (take your own Vegemite sandwiches), you will be fine.

Don't make the mistake that others make, that by paying significantly less you are going to get similar treatment to SQ, QF or TG on a similar routing.

I've flown Jetstar about 5 times and have no complaint whatsoever.

I've also flown Air Asia X from KL to Melbourne and didn't think they were nearly as good as Jetstar for a similar product. Then again the total ticket price was about A$140 including all tax's on an Internet special.

Wouldn't contemplate Tiger in any way no matter what the routing, they have a s__t reputation in Australia.

Wonder how many on this forum you are insulting P.Bob

I can afford to fly the main-line carriers and have done since 1970, but often choose the likes of Jetstar and Air Asia.

Not a good idea on here, to dictate methods of personal economics to an audience you most likely only know a very limited percentage of.

• 2 weeks later...

Gooday All

Just browsing airlines at the moment but not sure when going but has to be before mid Nov

at the moment Singapore air looks best due to some airlines not going to Syd Auss from BKK on price & times with no messing around at domestic aiports in other countries

I`ve travelled with Tiger / air assia / thai & singapore International

I wont fly air asia again as they dont sell alchohol on the flights (not an alcho but enjoy my time when flying like holiday but coming home to my family in BKK ) :)

Tigers ok & don`t mind singapore domestic terminal but their times aren`t good mainly flying out of perth

Don`t think i`ll fly jet star as they mainly go to melbourne

Am still browsing

Last time I flew to Thailand with Jetstar I swore I would never fly with them again - and haven't.

This time I booked a flight with Virgin from Brisbane. It only cost $400 and includes a transfer from Melb to Bris.

did you fly bangkok to brisbane ? did not see any virgin flight for this route.

phuket to brisbane or perth

brisbane to london

Edited by simcity

• 3 weeks later...
Budget airlines are often never on time

Either they are often not on time OR never on time; can't be both.

At least Jet* has Aussie pilots, and without being arrogant, they are the among the best trained in the world. I've flown for a number of airlines, and with pilots of many nationalities, but none are even close to Australians, Brits and Kiwis. It's all in the training!!

I try to ensure I travel with Australian, British or New Zealand carriers; there are none better up front.

If you want to get on-board, have a well maintained bus, a well trained pilot, pay for whatever you need for the 8 - 9 hour flight (take your own Vegemite sandwiches), you will be fine.

Don't make the mistake that others make, that by paying significantly less you are going to get similar treatment to SQ, QF or TG on a similar routing.

I've flown Jetstar about 5 times and have no complaint whatsoever.

I've also flown Air Asia X from KL to Melbourne and didn't think they were nearly as good as Jetstar for a similar product. Then again the total ticket price was about A$140 including all tax's on an Internet special.

Wouldn't contemplate Tiger in any way no matter what the routing, they have a s__t reputation in Australia.

hope both of you were not in this plane

Jetstar plane 'came within 38 feet of hitting ground'

http://www.theage.com.au/travel/travel-new...00305-pn9c.html

Everyone should read the article in The Age in above post.

Jetstar ignored all safety precautions, illegally didn't report the incident and when Air Safety (C.A.A.) got on to this they initially lied about it.

Why am I not surprised ?

If a Thai airline did half of this, the forum would be flooded by sarcastic and cynical posts.

Jetstar are a crap airline.