Visa Run Options - Where Should I Go?

Ok, so I've a 1 year multiple-entry O visa and I need to leave the country in the next few days so I'm trying to weigh up my options.

I wouldn't mind doing something alone quite cheap that could do be finished within one day, but would be open to taking the missus with me and spending some time seeing a few sights. Is Cambodia currently ok for crossing the border? How about flying to Penang? Mae Sot perhaps?

I've considered flying somewhere, getting a mini-bus (say to Cambodia), or renting a van for the day to take us somewhere. I'd like to keep it to less than 6k baht really. What are my options? I'd like something relatively painless and also relatively quick.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :o

The road is definatly cheaper. There are several companies that can arrange a border hop for you. Believe Cambodia is the closest. I'm only familiar with Mae Sod, which you can do by bus. The trip to Mae Sod takes about 8 hours and then 8 hours back.

You can do a search on the website for border run or wait till someone more knowledgable with the different companies comes along.

The normal border visa runs from Bangkok run about 2,000 baht and there are several every day. They advertise in classified section of Bangkok Post or am sure a search here will find contact details.

Thanks for the responses guys. Now I'm thinking the missus and I will hire a van and driver from up the road here and just chill in the back to the border at our own, relaxed pace. This way we can stop when and where we want to. However, is it an option to go to Chantaburi rather than Arunyapathet (sp?)? Are all the Thai/Cambodia border points open right now, what with the clashes?

A great deal depends on where you live, as to which is most convenient.

All the places you mention are good for a few days break if you want to get away,

particularly with Songkran on the horizon.

Just coming back from Vientiane / Laos border. Go by VIP Bus (24 seats) o Udon Thani than Bus to Nong Khai and next bus to Vientiane. Have to pictures from me ready and get Visa immediatly so that I can go with the same bus to Vientiane.

Stay 1 !/2 days in Lani Guesthouse and take a ticket for bus from Vientiane to Bangkok Morchit for 700 Bt. This bus called VIP bus too, but second driver who was alone in the bus make me fear. He have problems with the gears, drive sometime slowly and then fast, don't know where parking at Morchit and park at the road, at last he stop working when not find two pieces of bagage. We must search it by ourself.

With the Visa no problem, get a new 90 days stamp. For bus only I pay about 1.500 Bt. It is good to pay the Visa fee in US $ then in Bath. Don't forget 2.500 Kip for going out border tax.

To stay in Vientiane is ok for short time and buy coffee there, you get real beans and it have a good taste. For Guesthouse I pay 1.500 Bt., it is a very nice place, absolutly silent.

Have a nice day