Expat Recommendations On Where To Rent A Condo Or Apartment In Chiang Mai

Serendipity2

I'm hoping to get other expats' recommendations on condo projects or apartment complexes to rent. My previous post elicited a response from one person - elektrifie - who suggested I read through nearly 7500 topics as, in his words, "It's been discussed before". 249 pages x 30 topics per page! Thanks elektrified, but not very helpful. :o

I would appreciate other expats' recommendations of condominium projects or apartment compleses in Chaing Mai that expats would recommend to rent for several months. I'm hoping for something close to the Night Bazaar, Chaing Inn or Ta Phae Road - that is quiet and few barking dogs. T he fewer the better! I would be open to your suggestions as well. I'm not looking for an individual apartment or condo as my time horizon is too far out just projects that are well run, fairly priced and quiet. And projects to avoid as well! Thanks in advance for any constructive suggestions. :D

Serendipity2

Well I won't rail on you for not looking at old topic, prices change do does ownership, so rave reviews from a year ago might not hold true. Though you failed to mention your pricerange. The idea of fairly priced might mean 8k baht to some and 25k to others.

Well I won't rail on you for not looking at old topic, prices change do does ownership, so rave reviews from a year ago might not hold true. Though you failed to mention your pricerange. The idea of fairly priced might mean 8k baht to some and 25k to others.

Serendipity2 -- you said: I'm not looking for an individual apartment or condo as my time horizon is too far out What does that mean as, by definition, apts & condos are in a complex. And will today's recommendation apply too far out?

Hi BlackArtemis,

Thanks for your reply! From what I've read the price for a modest sized, semi-furnished to furnished apartment or condo runs around 10,000 THB give or take with at least 2 months prepaid. If that's not realistic please advise! I hope there are some larger condo buildings with expats as I'm more likely to get a fair idea of the good and not-so-good. My priorities are security, quiet and then price - happy to pay more for a safe and quiet place. Any suggestions are appreciated! :o

Serendipity2

Serendipity2 -- you said: I'm not looking for an individual apartment or condo as my time horizon is too far out What does that mean as, by definition, apts & condos are in a complex. And will today's recommendation apply too far out?

Hi Noise,

Thanks for your reply! What I meant was I'm most interested in the complex and not a condo or apartment right now. I'm not arriving until fall so whatever is available today, if good, won't be when I arrive. But I do want a short list of decent places [buildings] that are well maintained and are secure. If a condo they're probably going to be owned by an individual which is great but I'm not able to see anything now but knowing a certain apartment complex or condo project is well run, clean and safe is what I'm aiming for right now. Thanks again :o

Serendipity2

I doubt that posters intended for you to search through 30 pages of threads. More likely, you could use the search function. Limit it to key words of more than three letters, this forum, and no more than 180 days old.

There is no accepted standard of apt. hunting here. One of the sponsors provides listings, and the classified ads have listings. But there are no competing agencies of professionally staffed advisors with hundreds of listings, who know their neighborhoods, speak English well, etc., as we have in the West. Hundreds of condo rentals are owned and leased by individuals who are quirky and not professionals.

I have never been to more than two condos near the Night Bazaar, none near Tha Pae Gate, and do not know what Chiang Inn is. Most of our experiences are anecdotal. Most of us don't know but have been willing to share what we know. Good luck.

It depends on what you are looking for in a building--you want night bazaar area--very touristy--there are some serviced apartments at the Royal Peninsula Hotel(?) that I saw some photo's of. In CM you can get almost anywhere in a song-taew within 10 or 15 minutes.

I personally chose to be around Kad Saun Kaew, because I do not have my own transportation, and it is very central, and I can get anywhere in the city by just walking out my door and getting a ride. There are a number of condo's in this are--some with better amenities than others--and you have to state your budget. Factor into the equation that you have to give first and last months rent up front, plus a months security deposit up front. Then you have to pay all utilities, plus installation charges for phone and internet which are about 2K baht which is not refundable.

So give us a better idea of your budget, whether you will have your own transportation, and then members can sort of guide you along.

I'm hoping to get other expats' recommendations on condo projects or apartment complexes to rent. My previous post elicited a response from one person - elektrifie - who suggested I read through nearly 7500 topics as, in his words, "It's been discussed before". 249 pages x 30 topics per page! Thanks elektrified, but not very helpful. :o

I would appreciate other expats' recommendations of condominium projects or apartment compleses in Chaing Mai that expats would recommend to rent for several months. I'm hoping for something close to the Night Bazaar, Chaing Inn or Ta Phae Road - that is quiet and few barking dogs. T he fewer the better! I would be open to your suggestions as well. I'm not looking for an individual apartment or condo as my time horizon is too far out just projects that are well run, fairly priced and quiet. And projects to avoid as well! Thanks in advance for any constructive suggestions. :D

Serendipity2

I highly recommend Natty (www.realestateinchiangmai.com) I have bought several from her and she is straight and honest 0864209661

I doubt that posters intended for you to search through 30 pages of threads. More likely, you could use the search function. Limit it to key words of more than three letters, this forum, and no more than 180 days old.

There is no accepted standard of apt. hunting here. One of the sponsors provides listings, and the classified ads have listings. But there are no competing agencies of professionally staffed advisors with hundreds of listings, who know their neighborhoods, speak English well, etc., as we have in the West. Hundreds of condo rentals are owned and leased by individuals who are quirky and not professionals.

I have never been to more than two condos near the Night Bazaar, none near Tha Pae Gate, and do not know what Chiang Inn is. Most of our experiences are anecdotal. Most of us don't know but have been willing to share what we know. Good luck.

Thanks, PeaceBlondie,

Not 30 pages but 249 pages.! I'm reasonably ambitious but not that ambitious. That's about 7500 individual threads. :o

I suspected most condos would be privately owned but some buildings are constructed better, are quieter and are better maintained than others. I'll probably stay at a guest house for a week or three and begin my search. One of the things I would like to do anyway would be to visit several hill tribes and do a photographic essay in exchange for room & board for a week or so and give them copies of my work. I'm not sure that's feasible but as they say, that's plan A! Between trips living with the hill tribes I would need a place to relax and decompress or recuperate.

Chiang Inn was THE hotel in Chiang Mai 30 years ago. It's still there but a parking structure was built adjoining it and the hotel has since gone downhill. Many newer and larger hotels are in Chiang Mai now. Still a grand hotel in its day and I stayed there many times. Thanks again for your comments and help - much appreciated. :D

Serendipity2

It depends on what you are looking for in a building--you want night bazaar area--very touristy--there are some serviced apartments at the Royal Peninsula Hotel(?) that I saw some photo's of. In CM you can get almost anywhere in a song-taew within 10 or 15 minutes.

I personally chose to be around Kad Saun Kaew, because I do not have my own transportation, and it is very central, and I can get anywhere in the city by just walking out my door and getting a ride. There are a number of condo's in this are--some with better amenities than others--and you have to state your budget. Factor into the equation that you have to give first and last months rent up front, plus a months security deposit up front. Then you have to pay all utilities, plus installation charges for phone and internet which are about 2K baht which is not refundable.

So give us a better idea of your budget, whether you will have your own transportation, and then members can sort of guide you along.

Hi Shepsel,

I do not plan to own a car - may buy a small motorcycle or a bicycle but that's about it! I plan on living very austerely. The primary reason I was interested in the Night Bazaar was because there's a GREAT place to eat across the road - hidden behind the businesses that front Chang Khlan Rd. that I really like near the bandshell. I recommend it highly. You exchange your THB for script and buy with script. Many different cuisines available!

Paying a couple of month's rent up front is not a problem. My only concern is that I've read it's usually difficult if not impossible to get back the deposit so I would try to negotiate that as the last month's rent. From the landlord's perspective, since he's already "spent" the money he doesn't want to give it back. From the tenant's perspective he wants the deposit back or use as the last month's rent. Thanks for the tip on a good area to live. Would my budget of 10,000 THB per month get a decent place [furnished] in Kad Saun Kaew? Do you have problems with barking dogs? I know the more "touristy" the area the higher the cost. Same with restaurants. If it's a touristy place or expat place it will be more expensive than if it primarilyu caters to Thais. I prefer the latter for the most part. Thanks again for the helpful tips.

Serendipity2

Serendipity2

I highly recommend Natty (www.realestateinchiangmai.com) I have bought several from her and she is straight and honest 0864209661

ChaingMaiFun,

Thanks for that! I'll give her a call or go to her office. :D

Serendipity2

I have learned one thing about hotels in CM (even Thailand as a whole). New is better. I had watched some bigger ones like CM orchid continually go down hill and still charge 1000-2000B a night, while tons of nicer, newer, and cleaner hotels pop up for 600-800B