Shipping My Belongings

KISSKISS

GOOD EVENING

IM THINKING ABOUT BUYING A SHIPPING CONTAINER AND ,HAVING IT SHIPPED OUT AT MY LEISURE,THEN I I DONT HAVE TO UNLOAD IT STRIGHT AWAY........

ANYBODY DONE THIS.AND IF SO RECOMMEND ANYBODY IN THE UK...........

I,D APPRIECIATE THE HELP

THANKS

KISSKISS

GOOD EVENING

IM THINKING ABOUT BUYING A SHIPPING CONTAINER AND ,HAVING IT SHIPPED OUT AT MY LEISURE,THEN I I DONT HAVE TO UNLOAD IT STRIGHT AWAY........

I,D APPRIECIATE THE HELP

THANKS

KISSKISS

Don't know about shipping co. but turn the caps lock off. Capital letters means you're SHOUTING.

GOOD EVENING

I,D APPRIECIATE THE HELP

THANKS

KISSKISS

If it's household contents,then I'd recommend any good removal firm. I had mine packed in uk,and delivered to the door in Surin.The whole thing cost about 3,000 pounds,but no hassle.I even threw in 20 cases of English beer,plus all the little niceties like branston,mustard,oxo,tea bags etc.

You can probably get a container for under a grand,but then you'd have to pack it your self and unload when it reaches BKK.

Also for the record we brought over nealy the whole house contents inc tv.s,gas/electric cooker,vhs,etc and we were charged peanuts.

Before any smart arse says why ship over things that are far cheaper over here,we worked it so the cheaper-over-here things went in last & made up the load. :o

Quote "THEN I I DONT HAVE TO UNLOAD IT STRIGHT AWAY..."

I suggest you check on the storage charges once the container arrives in Bangkok. The daily port storage fees can be very high if you don't move or unpack the container within a few days of arrival.

NL

Check out a few things in Thailand. First, does your visa allow you duty- and tax free import? You usually do need a WP for this.

Next, it's mentioned already, storage in the port is prohibitive expensive. Also the carriers want their containers back, wherefore they do charge progressivly increasing demurrage and detention fees until the empty container is returned.

This can be overcome by buying a used container in the UK. Make sure it is transport worthy and has the proper tags. If, you might be able to sell the container in Thailand once unstuffed. Mind you, you have to pay import duty/tax as the container is not deemed as duty-free.

Delivered a load of household stuff into a export packing company last week. They made a crate to fit (£250+vat) and I went back to fill all the gaps with assorted bits.

Shipping company collected (manchester) and will deliver Bangkok for £250 + VAT. Apparently much cheaper going out to Asia as containers empty, very expensive coming back as containers full of .....well everything you can think of.

Approx 550kg of goods in total. My only regret is not putting 20 cases of Boddies in my crate!

Boat leaves UK port 27th Jan delivery expected approx 20th Feb.

On the face of it very happy however will know more in a months time!

Best of luck

Can provide contact numbers in the UK if you wish?

Delivered a load of household stuff into a export packing company last week. They made a crate to fit (£250+vat) and I went back to fill all the gaps with assorted bits.

Shipping company collected (manchester) and will deliver Bangkok for £250 + VAT. Apparently much cheaper going out to Asia as containers empty, very expensive coming back as containers full of .....well everything you can think of.

Approx 550kg of goods in total. My only regret is not putting 20 cases of Boddies in my crate!

Boat leaves UK port 27th Jan delivery expected approx 20th Feb.

On the face of it very happy however will know more in a months time!

Best of luck

Can provide contact numbers in the UK if you wish?

I don't have a WP, I have a non imm O cause of my son.  Can anyone tell me if I can import duty free?  Or point me in the right direction to find out?  Cheers

I know it sounds like a simple question, but no one is going to be able to give you a straight answer to it. I'm in a similar position and have been dealing with the issue on and off for the last ten years.

The English-language version of the customs regulations seems to say that you need EITHER a work permit or a one year non-immigrant visa to import household goods duty free. On the other hand, it also lists a work permit as one of the required documents you must produce to clear your household goods. I'm told the Thai-language version of the regulations is even more ambigious, although I don't see how.

Customs naturally has very little interest in clarifying any of this. It is the ambiguity of the regulations, of course, which supports Thai customs' long standing practice of extorting foreigners who are not well connected.

My best advice is to try and snag a sympathetic customs agent when you clear your goods, show your visa, and explain that you are here leagally to care for your child and are 'retired' so it is not necessary for you to have a work permit. Naturally that won't prevent you from paying a bribe anyway to get your things, but at least it ought to keep the amount down.

Edited by OldAsiaHand

I don't have a WP, I have a non imm O cause of my son.  Can anyone tell me if I can import duty free?  Or point me in the right direction to find out?  Cheers

I know it sounds like a simple question, but no one is going to be able to give you a straight answer to it. I'm in a similar position and have been dealing with the issue on and off for the last ten years.

The English-language version of the customs regulations seems to say that you need EITHER a work permit or a one year non-immigrant visa to import household goods duty free. On the other hand, it also lists a work permit as one of the required documents you must produce to clear your household goods. I'm told the Thai-language version of the regulations is even more ambigious, although I don't see how.

Customs naturally has very little interest in clarifying any of this. It is the ambiguity of the regulations, of course, which supports Thai customs' long standing practice of extorting foreigners who are not well connected.

My best advice is to try and snag a sympathetic customs agent when you clear your goods, show your visa, and explain that you are here leagally to care for your child and are 'retired' so it is not necessary for you to have a work permit. Naturally that won't prevent you from paying a bribe anyway to get your things, but at least it ought to keep the amount down.

we was told by many well meaning(ha ha) falangs that to ship a car over costs a fortune in import duty,so we sold our year old Nissan Micra for 1/3 of what we paid for it. Now we find out that a wife of a falang can import it duty free. Whatever you decide,don't decide in a bar.