Thai Banks To Start Charging For Atm Withdrawals ...

Just let me know what size you want your tin foil hat, and I'll make sure it's prepared to your exact specification... :D
No need. I was born with a layer of tin foil inside my cranium. Of course, as all the children born on planet *%&)EE13 have. Shhhh, this is between you and me. :)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I, tried my UK Nationwide visa/debit card in Kasikorn atm at Tesco Lotus Pattaya, earlier and there was a 150 baht charge, so I aborted the transaction. Got my usual 10,000 from Bank of Ayudthay (green) atm instead with no charge.

I thought Ayudhya ATMs were yellow and Kasikorn ATMs were green.

I, tried my UK Nationwide visa/debit card in Kasikorn atm at Tesco Lotus Pattaya, earlier and there was a 150 baht charge, so I aborted the transaction. Got my usual 10,000 from Bank of Ayudthay (green) atm instead with no charge.

B....y ell, going senile, or should that be MORE senile! Should read "......Bank of Ayudthaya (yellow) atm...."

Maybe as he was in Pattaya he was colour blind with the Amber Nector :)

BT :D

Maybe as he was in Pattaya he was colour blind with the Amber Nector :)

With so many hovering these days to leap on your typos etc you have to be like b....y grease lightning to get your corrections in!

Sorry. Sorry sir. Very very sorry. I'm honestly so #%$*^&g sorry.

With so many hovering these days to leap on your typos etc you have to be like b....y grease lightning to get your corrections in!

We're just having a bit of fun with ya, not at ya. We all make typos :) .

We're just having a bit of fun with ya, not at ya. We all make typos :D .

Too true, Merry Christmas too all and a fee free New Year. :)

Yesterday I tried to do my usual withdrawal from AEON Lotus Hang Dong. Each time I tried, the machine spat out my Visa debit card, telling me to contact my bank. When I checked online, I discovered they debited me the funds I was trying to get - but never received. Now in talks with my bank about recovering my money. :)

This is not just an isolated incident. I have read on another board of a number of posters using AEON ATMS in Pattaya having the same thing happen. And it was not just the same AEON ATM in PTY being used. The clock keeps on twirling around but no money is spit out but yet the account is debited. Be careful.

Sorry to hear about that Wimpy...

I hope, you're contacting AEON as well...

I posted on their contact numbers for such problems on the prior thread page... See that post here....

I don't doubt or dispute that others have been having problems at times with AEON ATMs....

Maybe I've been lucky, but I've pretty much been using them exclusively ever since GSB went down some months ago. And I've yet to have a problem/failed transaction with AEON here in BKK....

Yesterday, when making some credit card purchases, it seemed like the system was VERY slow. I suspect my problems with the AEON machine were related. I too have been using the AEON machines on a regular basis (several times a week), and this is the first problem I have had.

Same here, ever since GSB went to the dark side I have been using AEON in BKK (Paragon), Pattaya (Carrefour) and Udon Thani (Tesco) with no problems. I am about to go to the AEON in Udon Thani to get some money. We shall see.

I don't doubt or dispute that others have been having problems at times with AEON ATMs....

Maybe I've been lucky, but I've pretty much been using them exclusively ever since GSB went down some months ago. And I've yet to have a problem/failed transaction with AEON here in BKK....

This is not just an isolated incident. I have read on another board of a number of posters using AEON ATMS in Pattaya having the same thing happen. And it was not just the same AEON ATM in PTY being used. The clock keeps on twirling around but no money is spit out but yet the account is debited. Be careful.
Sorry to hear about that Wimpy...

I hope, you're contacting AEON as well...

I posted on their contact numbers for such problems on the prior thread page... See that post here....

It happened to me too and I got so upset about it, I actually videotaped the whole transaction.

Long story short: it turnout to be my bank problem and not AEON. The bank admitted and apologized for the problem but it took them a month to make refund.

I would suggest to discuss this matter with your bank where atm card was issued and also use second/backup card immediately following first/failed transaction.

In hindsight, videotaping atm withdrawals was overkill. :)

wimpy, same thing happened to me. It is probably purely coincidental but I got short changed at the same branch. You can gleam through this thread. If you were using the BOI card as I did, you will need to fill out a form. Ask them to email you the form or I can PM it to you. The 1st rep sent me an unrecognizable form but got it after the 2nd call.

Within about a week of receiving my fax, they will temporarily credit your account and about 3 weeks later if all goes well, it will become permanent.

Btw, Here is some cautionary advice not to complain too strongly. About 2 years ago , I brought to their attention the irregular way they reimbursed the fees (you know what I mean :) ). The President emailed me some BS, saying that they don't support the regular use of their DC overseas and said, they were canceling my account after 4 years. I convinced him by subtle legal nuances to cancel only one of the 2 accounts.

They asked that I write as much detail as possible.

Here is what I wrote.

On 10/19/2009 at 1:45PM (Thailand time), I attempted to withdraw 5000 baht from an AEON ATM machine in Chiang Mai Thailand. After waiting for about 1 minute, A message appeared on the screen, in so many words that, it “could not process the request and to contact your home bank”. I received no money or receipt. I tried the same machine a 2nd time and the machine next to it once and got the same message, probably because the 1st invalid withdrawal reduced my balance to a little over $12. I phoned their customer rep and requested to get either my 5000 baht or a credit. The rep said they were unable to credit me the money and that I had to contact my bank. He could not give me any more information why the transaction failed. I finally spoke to another more knowledgeable rep who told me that they did get a message that at 1:45PM the machine or transaction (I forgot which) timed out. He also repeated that they could not refund my money. I asked them why they couldn't confirm the malfunction by auditing the machine the next day. I got no answer to my request. I was on the phone for over 45 minutes.

My online bank transaction displayed the following information,

ATM W/D 0144 10/19/09 00577140 -$149.70

AEON CREDIT SYS

AS LOTUS HANGDONG CM (2

BANGKOK

wimpy, same thing happened to me. It is probably purely coincidental but I got short changed at the same branch. You can gleam through this thread. If you were using the BOI card as I did, you will need to fill out a form. Ask them to email you the form or I can PM it to you. The 1st rep sent me an unrecognizable form but got it after the 2nd call.

Within about a week of receiving my fax, they will temporarily credit your account and about 3 weeks later if all goes well, it will become permanent.

Btw, Here is some cautionary advice not to complain too strongly. About 2 years ago , I brought to their attention the irregular way they reimbursed the fees (you know what I mean :) ). The President emailed me some BS, saying that they don't support the regular use of their DC overseas and said, they were canceling my account after 4 years. I convinced him by subtle legal nuances to cancel only one of the 2 accounts.

Here is what I wrote.

On 10/19/2009 at 1:45PM (Thailand time), I attempted to withdraw 5000 baht from an AEON ATM machine in Chiang Mai Thailand. After waiting for about 1 minute, A message appeared on the screen, in so many words that, it "could not process the request and to contact your home bank". I received no money or receipt. I tried the same machine a 2nd time and the machine next to it once and got the same message, probably because the 1st invalid withdrawal reduced my balance to a little over $12. I phoned their customer rep and requested to get either my 5000 baht or a credit. The rep said they were unable to credit me the money and that I had to contact my bank. He could not give me any more information why the transaction failed. I finally spoke to another more knowledgeable rep who told me that they did get a message that at 1:45PM the machine or transaction (I forgot which) timed out. He also repeated that they could not refund my money. I asked them why they couldn't confirm the malfunction by auditing the machine the next day. I got no answer to my request. I was on the phone for over 45 minutes.

AEON CREDIT SYS

AS LOTUS HANGDONG CM (2

BANGKOK

Thank you for the info Vagabond. This happened to me once before at Thanachart bank. I didn't even notice that the funds had been debited until BOI credited me the funds about a month later! Good on them for catching it.

I just wanted to add I did a AEON withdrawal at the old Tesco in Udon Thani at 16:36 23/Dec. Did a 1,000bt withdrawal to see if it was working and no problem. Than did a much larger withdrawal and again no problem. I will lean on being cautious but will continue to use AEON.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is what I wrote.

On 10/19/2009 at 1:45PM (Thailand time), I attempted to withdraw 5000 baht from an AEON ATM machine in Chiang Mai Thailand. After waiting for about 1 minute, A message appeared on the screen, in so many words that, it "could not process the request and to contact your home bank". I received no money or receipt. I tried the same machine a 2nd time and the machine next to it once and got the same message, probably because the 1st invalid withdrawal reduced my balance to a little over $12. I phoned their customer rep and requested to get either my 5000 baht or a credit. The rep said they were unable to credit me the money and that I had to contact my bank. He could not give me any more information why the transaction failed. I finally spoke to another more knowledgeable rep who told me that they did get a message that at 1:45PM the machine or transaction (I forgot which) timed out. He also repeated that they could not refund my money. I asked them why they couldn't confirm the malfunction by auditing the machine the next day. I got no answer to my request. I was on the phone for over 45 minutes.

AEON CREDIT SYS

AS LOTUS HANGDONG CM (2

BANGKOK

An update... I filed the claim with my bank (BofI). They say they have completed their investigation and concluded that the funds were dispensed. They weren't. They say the case is closed unless I can provide a receipt of the transaction. No receipt was dispensed. I tried taking it up with Aeon and they said I must contact my bank. Looks like I am out 10,000 baht. That would have paid for quite a few 150 baht atm fees.

Edited by wimpy

Here is what I wrote.

AEON CREDIT SYS

AS LOTUS HANGDONG CM (2

BANGKOK

An update... I filed the claim with my bank (BofI). They say they have completed their investigation and concluded that the funds were dispensed. They weren't. They say the case is closed unless I can provide a receipt of the transaction. No receipt was dispensed. I tried taking it up with Aeon and they said I must contact my bank. Looks like I am out 10,000 baht. That would have paid for quite a few 150 baht atm fees.

wimpy, you need to call Aeon and ask to speak to the main office. The 1st level assistance are low level robots. The 2nd level personnel I spoke to was Japanese and had access to the information the machine sent back to them. You need to give them detail information, location, date and time. Ask for the the message the machine gave.

Btw, BOI doesn't do any investigation. They send the report you filled out to Visa.

Good luck.

• 1 year later...
According to the Thanchart website, The Thai Bankers Association has decided that cardholders of foreign banks will be charged 150 Baht for each withdrawal by debit or credit card, effective April 17th.

Not good news.

i bank with Thanachart and have read their website,cant see this anywhere ,give us a clue?

Thai banks are notorious for heavy charge not only to foreigners but also the local. They are the most cunning people in the world of how to take your funds from your purse. This ain't a good news. I know if you like in a different province and when you cash from a machine from a different branch with the same bank you will be charge 20 B at front. Try to avoid using those ATM then. I heard AEON's ATMs don't charge using foreign cards but myself ain't tried yet. In addition, They came up with a very poor exchange rate. The current exchange rate was 30.40 B/1 dollar but when I saw the statement they used 34 B more/1 dollar. Amazing Thai Banks they have done very good job to deter Farangs coming to the country. Hahaha... They don't have to scam you but they do it in the legal way to make you a fool.. wow...

AEON ATM don't provide a poor exchange rate; in fact their exchange rate is right around the TT Buying rate which is about the best a common man can get. I expect your card has a foreign transaction fee of at least 1% or another similar fee, which is why you got the lower exchange rate.