Thai Banks To Start Charging For Atm Withdrawals ...

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honest question.- If your Credit card is in CREDIT and you make a withdrawal on it is it still expensive ?

BT

It depends upon the policies of the bank that issued your card. For my credit union's visa card, cashing up the account in advance will in fact avoid any financing changes on cash advances taken out against that card. I found this out recently when I accidentally used my credit card instead of my ATM debit card at when I got cash at one Kasikorn's currency exchange counters. Once I realized the mistake (which was before the charge was posted to my account), I cashed up the account such that I had a sufficient credit balance to cover all pending transactions. That worked - no fees nor interest were incurred and there was no hit on the exchange rate.

Thanks OP - I will try a wihdrawal from my CC ( which is i credit ) and at the same time withdraw the same amount from my Debit card and post here PS They are both Nationwide cards

BT

I fear that if you do withdraw cash from an ATM from a Credit Card you will be hit with a charge even if you are in credit.

post-33066-1257763717_thumb.png

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/creditcard/gol...atescharges.htm

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/creditcard/gol...ransactions.htm

Results are in and confirms that Even if you are using the same bank - The Credit Card ( is in Credit so only taking you own money out)

- Your Debit card is Cirus ( Not VISA ) AND also is in Credit that you will be hit with higher charges.

Nationwide Cirus debit card 10,000 bt = 179.43 GBP - APPROX 55.5 bt to the GBP - NO OTHER CHARGES AT ALL.

Nationwide Credit card 10,000 bt = 182.08 GBP - Approx 54.92 bt to the GBP "PLUS CASH ADVANCE FEE OF 4.56 GBP

SO REAL RATE approx = 53.57bt to GBP

The transactions were made yesterday at 3.08 pm using AEON - No 150bt fees.

However also on the down side (for me ) apart from rate was that AEON machine at Victory Monument is OLD and It RETAINED my card after paying the cash out.....

When my Thai GF spoke to the traders near the ATM they said that It had happened 3 times that day - th machine close down - then opens up again after the customers have phoned the Branch quoted on receipt.

Yes all 16numbers were also shown on the receipt - NOT A GOOD IDEA.

The things we do to assist others haha.

BT

Honest question.- If your Credit card is in CREDIT and you make a withdrawal on it is it still expensive ?

BT

It depends upon the policies of the bank that issued your card. For my credit union's visa card, cashing up the account in advance will in fact avoid any financing changes on cash advances taken out against that card. I found this out recently when I accidentally used my credit card instead of my ATM debit card at when I got cash at one Kasikorn's currency exchange counters. Once I realized the mistake (which was before the charge was posted to my account), I cashed up the account such that I had a sufficient credit balance to cover all pending transactions. That worked - no fees nor interest were incurred and there was no hit on the exchange rate.

Thanks OP - I will try a wihdrawal from my CC ( which is i credit ) and at the same time withdraw the same amount from my Debit card and post here PS They are both Nationwide cards

BT

I fear that if you do withdraw cash from an ATM from a Credit Card you will be hit with a charge even if you are in credit.

post-33066-1257763717_thumb.png

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/creditcard/gol...atescharges.htm

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/creditcard/gol...ransactions.htm

Results are in and confirms that Even if you are using the same bank - The Credit Card ( is in Credit so only taking you own money out)

- Your Debit card is Cirus ( Not VISA ) AND also is in Credit that you will be hit with higher charges.

Nationwide Cirus debit card 10,000 bt = 179.43 GBP - APPROX 55.5 bt to the GBP - NO OTHER CHARGES AT ALL.

Nationwide Credit card 10,000 bt = 182.08 GBP - Approx 54.92 bt to the GBP "PLUS CASH ADVANCE FEE OF 4.56 GBP

SO REAL RATE approx = 53.57bt to GBP

The transactions were made yesterday at 3.08 pm using AEON - No 150bt fees.

However also on the down side (for me ) apart from rate was that AEON machine at Victory Monument is OLD and It RETAINED my card after paying the cash out.....

When my Thai GF spoke to the traders near the ATM they said that It had happened 3 times that day - th machine close down - then opens up again after the customers have phoned the Branch quoted on receipt.

Yes all 16numbers were also shown on the receipt - NOT A GOOD IDEA.

The things we do to assist others haha.

BT

Sorry to hear about the AEON machine at Victory Monument... I'm the one who spotted it, but I've never tried using it. I believe someone else here (a few posts back) reported that there's supposedly also an AEON ATM somewhere at the Tops market there at the Victory Monument intersection... But I haven't gone looking as yet.

For me, the AEON ATMs in the basement of Siam Paragon and at the various CarreFours (On Nut, Radjadamri, Ari) always seem to work fine...except when you have to wait because some Thai debtor is taking a half hour to pay their credit card bill... :)

As for the 150 baht ATM fee, continue to confirm that AEON ATMs are NOT charging it, contrary to some other reports here. Had one ATM withdrawal using a no-fee U.S. VISA debit card yesterday (11/11) that produced a 33.30 exchange rate while the XRates IER for the day was 33.28.

Then on Sunday (11/8), used a different U.S. VISA debit card (one that charges a 1% foreign transaction fee) and got a net 32.85 exchange rate, compared to the XRates IERs of 33.31 on the 6th and 33.37 on the 9th. And no, I never settle for that kind of exchange rate. I'm just closing out an old account with a bit of leftover cash in it. :D

Today I went to the Ayudtaya ATM in Tukcom Pattaya

using my Nationwide Visa debit card.. right at the last screen there was a warning that they would charge 15 baht

and option to cancel. I continued with the transaction ( its better than 150 baht rippoff ) and will check my bank account online in the next few days to confirm the charge.

Hopefully the other banks will follow suit and reduce thier fees to a reasonable level. :)

I called my credit union PFCU regarding moving money into my CC account. I was told by one rep that, normally the system won't allow money to be transferred when there is no balance or if it does, it will transfer the money out after a short period of time. Lately with PFCU, to get the exact answer I would have to call at least 2 more times to see if I get the same answer.

edit: grammar corrections

Edited by vagabond48

I called my credit union PFCU regarding moving money into my CC account. I was told by one rep that, normally the system won't allow money to be transferred when there is no balance or if it does, it will transfer the money out after a short period of time. Lately with PFCU, to get the exact answer I would have to call at least 2 more times to see if I get the same answer.

edit: grammar corrections

And what is PFCU? A credit union I presume.

Pentagon Federal Credit Union, one of the larger and better ones in the States... Safe and well-managed by all accounts.

Used to have among the best CD rates in the country, and still has some good ones (4% for 7 year CDs). Likewise, has a pretty good VISA card with cash back features of, I believe, 2% on most things and 5% on some things...

Open to all, but have to join an association... the National Military Families Assn., which you can do online thru the application process.

I stand corrected.

I went Wednesday to the same Aeon at Airport Plaza in CM where I was told last week I would be charged the 150b fee.

Although the friendly fee warning message is no longer displayed, no fee was charged and I got 100.04% of the xrate IER.

Amigo!Good news!My GF and me made some experiments.She knows about 3 Aeon ATM places:Central,Lotus,Lotus in Hangdong.

She made verbal inquiries - the answer was:we will charge.

However - nothing has been charged.We did it 2 times - 2 weeks ago and yesterday.

I think in general, just based on the card only, VISA logo U.S. debit cards tend to pay a slightly better exchange rate that MC logo cards -- all other things being equal.

But I don't believe it has anything to do with AEON or DCC. AEON doesn't set its own separate exchange rates. The rates you get at their ATMs are a combination of which card network you're using (VISA or MC) and what if anything your home bank is taking out as a cut or fee.

anyone know if Aeon atms use dynamic currency conversion for usa master card withdrawals? thus giving worse rates than visa?

On another board somewhere, forgot where, I noticed a post stating that SCB and BofA ATM's where slowly being changed to only charge 15 bt for a fee on foreign cards. While in the city of Nongbulampoo this morning I tried the two BofA (yellow ATM's) and the fee was to be 150bt.

I noticed a rather new SCB ATM near the market and tried it also. After being prompted for a number of 'English' Language screens I finally got to the withdrawal screen. It clearly stated that a fee of 20bt would be charged for a foreign card transaction. When I actually tried to withdraw $$, as a test, the screen went blank and stayed that way until I hit the cancel button. This happened twice. I do not know if this is what happens when the ATM has no funds but, again, it clearly stated in English that only a 20bt fee would be charged. Now whether this is a different fee than the 150 bt charge I do not know.

I know SCB ATM's use to charge a small fee, 20 bt actually, before the 150 bt fee came into play but once the 150 bt fee came in I never used another SCB machine until today.

Will try again another day.

Thailand is trying everything in its power to disuade foreigners from coming here.

Mind you, thats quite a wack, 150 baht, more than most countries.

Ernest

Yeah, it is a conspiracy. The Banks sit down with the government in smoky back rooms and work out ways to stick it to the poor defenseless farang. Diddums

Get over it. You clearly have no idea about economics.

The banks are charging it cause they are betting that people will pay it regardless, and that they won't go away. How is it in a banks interest to drive away clientele?

They are betting that Mr Sextourist Jones and Mr BarStool Davies are going to go the the bank, and like always, pull out their money, and that this fee, while in the beginning an irritant, they'll quickly get used to paying.

And you will get used to paying it. And you won't leave Thailand, will you?

Here Here!! What he said!

Stupid comment...

Those of us who live here aren't Mr. Barstool or Mr. SexTourist... (at least for the most part).

We won't get used to paying it. We don't pay it now. And we won't in the future.

You can waste your 150 baht per pop... I prefer to saving mine.

For starters, you'll do a lot better here in Thailand when you figure out what bank's ATM you're using... They're actually NOT all the same....

When you used the "big yellow machine" and think it charged you 15 baht, what country/name bank card were you using???

There's an AEON ATM in Tukcom Pattaya :)

When did that appear ? jesimps where exactly is it in Tukcom ?

Assume it's Aeon. Anyway it's a big yellow machine, just to the right as you walk through the main door on the ground floor.

Good luck.

For starters, you'll do a lot better here in Thailand when you figure out what bank's ATM you're using... They're actually NOT all the same....

When you used the "big yellow machine" and think it charged you 15 baht, what country/name bank card were you using???

Assume it's Aeon. Anyway it's a big yellow machine, just to the right as you walk through the main door on the ground floor.

Good luck.

Test test test

Good luck.

Good luck.

You some kinda banking nerd who can match all the banks up to their machines by colour? I bank with SCB and Kasikorn (purple and green respectively). I normally draw my money over the counter but heard that the yellow machines were either cheap or free.

Apologies to all Aeon users, I thought their's was the yellow machine. Anyway, whichever bank it is, it said the charge is 15 baht; now whether that is the case or not I'll have to wait and see. Will check my online statement to see if it's true when the transaction appears.

I used a UK Nationwide visa/debit card by the way.

I was trying to pass on some, what I thought was, useful information but as usual on these boards, there's always some mug waiting to patronise you with pompous comments.

Glad to see you're learning the color codes for Thai ATMs.... I know picking up these simple things can be a really tough job... If you stay here maybe 10 years, I'm sure you'll get it figured out, or at least learn to read the bank names that appear in English characters on every ATM... :)

Yes... I'm a Thai banking nerd.... And... re your situation, because I'm a banking nerd, I can tell you that for some unknown reason, UK users of Nationwide debit cards in Thailand seem to be able to use Bank of Ayudhya ATM machines (yes, the "big yellow machines") without getting hit by the 150 baht ATM fee. Why... no one knows or can explain... Just seems to be an isolated case. I wouldn't expect the same treatment with any of the other Thai banks using that same card.

However, an even better deal at present are the AEON ATM machines (the big blue and grey machines that don't say UOB on them) that have no fee whatsoever for anyone.

By the way, re your comment, posting "useful" information here means posting ACCURATE information, not wrong and misleading information that would lead other readers astray. Sorry to be pompous about that.

Edited by jfchandler