Rich History For Modern Travellers

Kan Win

KANCHANABURI : The Old Pak Praek community is adding a unique tourist appeal to Kanchanaburi, which offers memorable holidays for nature lovers who delight in natural surroundings and pleasures. Governor Rerngsak Mahavinijchaimontree said his province welcomes over 5 million visitors annually.

<snip>

Vichai Lorsiri, president of the Kanchanaburi Tourism Promotion Association, said the walking street would become another tourist magnet.

The street is noted for its beauty and history unlike other, newer streets in downtown Kanchanaburi. He agreed the street should have been developed and promoted long ago.

The Old Pak Praek Association was established two years ago and its primary aim was to design the walking street project. It is doing all it can to increase tourist attractions while showing off its ancient cultural legacy.

_ Piyarach Chongcharoe

By: Bangkok Post

Published: 28/03/2009 at 12:00 AM

Newspaper section: News

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kanchanaburi Gates

large.jpg

Enterance to The Old Pak Praek road is on the left of this photo. :D

Walking Street Sign

large.jpg

Chinese Temple on Walking Street

large.jpg

Coffee House

large.jpg

Open to walking on week-ends and holidays. Starts around 17.00 till ............

Bought a T-shirt of the road 220/- baht, size XL :o

Mind the motorbikes as they still use this road even through they should not. :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

KANCHANABURI : The Old Pak Praek community is adding a unique tourist appeal to Kanchanaburi, which offers memorable holidays for nature lovers who delight in natural surroundings and pleasures. Governor Rerngsak Mahavinijchaimontree said his province welcomes over 5 million visitors annually.

<snip>

Vichai Lorsiri, president of the Kanchanaburi Tourism Promotion Association, said the walking street would become another tourist magnet.

The street is noted for its beauty and history unlike other, newer streets in downtown Kanchanaburi. He agreed the street should have been developed and promoted long ago.

The Old Pak Praek Association was established two years ago and its primary aim was to design the walking street project. It is doing all it can to increase tourist attractions while showing off its ancient cultural legacy.

_ Piyarach Chongcharoe

By: Bangkok Post

Published: 28/03/2009 at 12:00 AM

Newspaper section: News

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kanchanaburi Gates

large.jpg

Enterance to The Old Pak Praek road is on the left of this photo. :D

Walking Street Sign

large.jpg

Chinese Temple on Walking Street

large.jpg

Coffee House

large.jpg

Open to walking on week-ends and holidays. Starts around 17.00 till ............

Bought a T-shirt of the road 220/- baht, size XL :o

Mind the motorbikes as they still use this road even through they should not. :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

Breakfast - time on Easter Thursday morning here, I ask my wife if she knows Pak Praek and she stares at me with an incomprehensible expression - I show her the pic of the Entrance ad she gets all exited about lovers can walk allong hte road together but that there are many of these around Thailand and she tries to explain something about the time or date of these entrances. Now it is year 2552 and "phasa Thailand" is year 2374 for the one on the picture. She is doing the maths as I write and makes a lot of a-do that the monument is 178 years old.

Not sure what the exitement is here - I've got the day to find out.

Edited by Frank La Rue