Non-b Change From Gov't To Private School+farang Wife+3month Baby

I'm changing schools from a government school to a private school. My contracts are continuous-one ends the same day the next starts. So my visa and work permit will expire May 1. My wife has a non-o based on my non-b. Our son has nothing but a birth certificate.

Is it possible to extend my non-b somehow? I've called immigration(busy) and my new school claims I have to leave the country and get a tourist visa, come back and change status. All tolled, 2000Baht for tourist visas will cost me 6000 baht for three people, plus the Laos visa fees(4500B for 3 ppl), plus 6000 B to change status. That's 16,500B for goddam visa fees!! Plus my child doesn't even have a passport yet!

At this point it just makes sense to not bother getting a visa, a contract, a work permit, etc. Just pay the overstay fees and enjoy my time here. Any suggestions? Anyone know of a simple way to change jobs that doesn't cost more than my entire savings for 1 year?

1. Tourist visas are free (as no fee) so you can subtract 6k.

2. You have an extension of stay and it ends the day your employment ends. If your wife also has an extension of stay it also becomes invalid - but if she has a 90 day non immigrant O visa entry she can continue to use.

3. If you find babysitter child can avoid the trip/visa expense and passport - there is no fine imposed on children so visa would only be required for entry. But at some point child will need a passport.

1. Tourist visas are free (as no fee) so you can subtract 6k.

2. You have an extension of stay and it ends the day your employment ends. If your wife also has an extension of stay it also becomes invalid - but if she has a 90 day non immigrant O visa entry she can continue to use.

3. If you find babysitter child can avoid the trip/visa expense and passport - there is no fine imposed on children so visa would only be required for entry. But at some point child will need a passport.

So if I just go get the tourist visa(or non-:o and come back my wife can extend her non-o again?

I said if she is on a 90 day entry she would not have to travel - not an extension of stay. No; your wife will have no status above a tourist until you obtain a new extension of stay - at that time she could again obtain a non immigrant visa and extend to match.

I said if she is on a 90 day entry she would not have to travel - not an extension of stay. No; your wife will have no status above a tourist until you obtain a new extension of stay - at that time she could again obtain a non immigrant visa and extend to match.

Lop, maybe I am confusing things , but if the OP goes out and comes back in on a tourist visa (like the school advises) won't he have to re-exit the country again and get a new non-immigrant B anyway so he can start work? I had the impression that you couldn't transfer from a tourist visa to a 'B' visa in country......

Lop, maybe I am confusing things , but if the OP goes out and comes back in on a tourist visa (like the school advises) won't he have to re-exit the country again and get a new non-immigrant B anyway so he can start work? I had the impression that you couldn't transfer from a tourist visa to a 'B' visa in country......

The school can change the tourist visa to a non-b in Bangkok. So you're saying both my wife and I need to leave the country, get (free) tourist visas, then change status? And the baby can remain in Thailand with a babysitter?

The school can change the tourist visa to a non-b in Bangkok. So you're saying both my wife and I need to leave the country, get (free) tourist visas, then change status? And the baby can remain in Thailand with a babysitter?

Yes. You can change status - believe the wife has to wait until you extend and then exit/obtain non immigrant O and extend.

Edited by lopburi3

Teachers are allowed to change visa status at immigration office.

Thanks Lop, you learn something new each day!

Does this extend to other professions as well?

From the Immigration website.

DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED IN SUPPORT OF THE APPLICATTION FOR VISA OR VISA STATUS ALTERATION NON B WORK OR BUSINESS

The application must be submit at least 21 days before visa expiration and, in case of overstaying in Thailand, application could not be submitted.

Application for Visa Status Alteration. (TM.86)

Application for visa. (TM.87)

Copy of passport entries.

4 X 6 cm photograph.

Application fee of 2,000 baht.

Company letter requesting for visa or visa status alteration. (Specifying name, position, education and job experience of the applicant)

Employment contract. (Download from Labor Dept. website)

A letter of guarantee to certify commercial registration. (Copy)

Company registration certificate. (Copy)

The lists of company board of directors/share holders. (Copy)

Vat registration certificate and (Copy)

The latest financial statement. (Balance sheets ; Profit & loss statement) (Copy)

Company income tax or trading tax returns

In case of, new opening company which has no finance statement and revenues form (Phor ngo dor 50) or only the revenues from page 5 section 3, no water supply and electric bills, the owner must show the water, electric and telephone bills.

Documents Evidence Of Education ; Job Experience of Alien. (Certified by Embassy or Consulate and Ministry of Foreign Affairs.) (Copy)

List of personal income tax of Thai employee (Phor ngo dor 1) for last 3 months. (Copy)

Showing 7-10 picture of the company must be shown the name of the company, working area, or the building which showing the type of the job.

Map of the company

In case of the company supported by BOI, a letter from BOI is required for changing visa.

I'm changing schools from a government school to a private school. My contracts are continuous-one ends the same day the next starts. So my visa and work permit will expire May 1. My wife has a non-o based on my non-b. Our son has nothing but a birth certificate.

Is it possible to extend my non-b somehow? I've called immigration(busy) and my new school claims I have to leave the country and get a tourist visa, come back and change status. All tolled, 2000Baht for tourist visas will cost me 6000 baht for three people, plus the Laos visa fees(4500B for 3 ppl), plus 6000 B to change status. That's 16,500B for goddam visa fees!! Plus my child doesn't even have a passport yet!

At this point it just makes sense to not bother getting a visa, a contract, a work permit, etc. Just pay the overstay fees and enjoy my time here. Any suggestions? Anyone know of a simple way to change jobs that doesn't cost more than my entire savings for 1 year?

No need to leave the country, since your new job starts the same day your old job ends. You will have to ask for a new extension of stay from immigration, based on your new employment. For that you need to have the paperwork ready, including the work permit. Getting the paperwork ready is the tricky bit, but you can start everything before your old job ends. The day your job then ends, you go to immigration to acncel your extension of stay and apply for a new extension of stay based on your new employer.

When canceling your extension of stay you can also ask for an extension of stay for 7 days (cost 1,900 baht), that would give you some more time to complete all the paperwork. For a teacher it is possible to get everything arranged within 7 days.

Same story goes for your wife as dependend.

If you want to keep your social security (health) benefits you can sign up on your own and pay 432 baht per month. You have 6 months to sign up, during which time you can still get the benefits. You can do that at the soc sec office in your area.

If you want to change hospitals, that might be a good time to ask about it.

Last year they took private schools out of the soc sec system. Jan or Feb this year I saw an article that said they were going to put those employees back in the system, but it didn't say when they would do it.

Terry

No need to leave the country, since your new job starts the same day your old job ends. You will have to ask for a new extension of stay from immigration, based on your new employment. For that you need to have the paperwork ready, including the work permit. Getting the paperwork ready is the tricky bit, but you can start everything before your old job ends. The day your job then ends, you go to immigration to acncel your extension of stay and apply for a new extension of stay based on your new employer.

When canceling your extension of stay you can also ask for an extension of stay for 7 days (cost 1,900 baht), that would give you some more time to complete all the paperwork. For a teacher it is possible to get everything arranged within 7 days.

Same story goes for your wife as dependend.

OK, so I go get a new work permit... In order to do that, I turn in my old work permit first right? Then I get a new one... Then go to immigration and get a new extension based on new employment? Also I'm dealing with 2 different immigration offices(Mae Sai and Bangkok). I already spoke to the Labor Ministry and they told me my visa is conditional(tied to my current employer) and that I will need to go to Mae Sai immigration to get the condition removed but he wasn't sure if that's possible so told me to call them, which I did, and they gave me a phone number(053-201-756x18) which has been busy for 2 days now. So I'm going to just drive up there and see what they say. If they will do it for me, then I can go return my work permit, get cleared in the computer, then go to Bangkok to get a new WP, then to Bkk Immig for a new extension.

You do need the letter /certificate from your old school confirming that the work permit has been handed back and you contract is terminated. Ensure that the date on the form is before you need to apply for new extension. My mate just did this yesterday. I didn't know you could do it Immigration told his Thai wife. Allan

You do need the letter /certificate from your old school confirming that the work permit has been handed back and you contract is terminated. Ensure that the date on the form is before you need to apply for new extension. My mate just did this yesterday. I didn't know you could do it Immigration told his Thai wife. Allan

Immigration(mae Sai) told me I just need the new WP and go to Immi(Bkk) on the day my visa expires and they'll extend for another year. See? I knew it wasn't that hard...