Taking Watches Out Of Thailand. Copys.

Richb2004v2

Has anyone had any trouble taking copy watches out of Thailand? I always take a few back to work with me for friends. This time I have 14 watches and would hate to get stopped and have them taken from me. I think is quantity's like this I am ok but wonder if anyone has have any problems.

Why dont you pop a few in the post before you leave? or wear one on one wrist, one on another, and split the others between your suitcase and hand luggage.

The post is a very bad idea if it is being sent to the USA. If you carry it on your person or in your personal luggage, customs does not have time to look for it. If it's by Post, they check the packages and will seize a counterfeit watch. Best bet is to carry it in through customs. Put a few in your carry on luggage, wear as many as you can.

I agree that the chance of getting caught is very slim BUT I also think that the quantity is enough to possibly get you in trouble. It's up to customs but if they think you are selling them it's more likely to charges will be pressed.

Post is not a bad option, most packages are not inspected.

I would guess that if questioned & you said they were gifts ( kids & grandkids etc. ) & total value well under 10k you would have no problem. While 14 is a few it is not like a gross of 144 or something.

So its not like your in business with just 14.....No problem is my guess.

I think the rule here in Australia is that you are allowed one copy of each brand before they start to get suspicious. Although I saw that on the customs program on tv so who knows.

Take them out of their packaging/plastic bags etc so they do not look like they are for re-sale and as suggested split them between hand and hold luggage. I think 14 is more than enough to get questions asked.

Remember if you wear several you will have to take them all off to go through the metal detector which could look a bit suspicious if you are standing there taking 4 watches of each arm.

I think the rule here in Australia is that you are allowed one copy of each brand before they start to get suspicious. Although I saw that on the customs program on tv so who knows.

Take them out of their packaging/plastic bags etc so they do not look like they are for re-sale and as suggested split them between hand and hold luggage. I think 14 is more than enough to get questions asked.

Remember if you wear several you will have to take them all off to go through the metal detector which could look a bit suspicious if you are standing there taking 4 watches of each arm.

any problems? well you could cut out the middleman and send money direct to terrorists

other problems would be lack of class

Sorry I don't get this. Are you saying that Osama bin Laden has quit the armed struggle against the Great Satan and his now building up his retirement fund by knocking out fake Rolexes?

btw I thought that customs worldwide these days were starting to take a very dim view of copies as part of the reinforcement of intellectual copyrights. Still you'd be very unlucky if 14 watches scattered through your check in and carry on luggage caught anyone's attention.

Has anyone had any trouble taking copy watches out of Thailand? I always take a few back to work with me for friends. This time I have 14 watches and would hate to get stopped and have them taken from me. I think is quantity's like this I am ok but wonder if anyone has have any problems.

I took 10 into Madrid at Christmas, 5 in my hand luggage and 5 in my suitcase, no problem what so ever. I think they are more interested in bigger things than fake watches.

any problems? well you could cut out the middleman and send money direct to terrorists

Not that old chestnut about how all the profit from pirated software, watches and clothing are going to the terrorists. If you believe that you will probably believe in fairies. :o

Going out of Thailand is not an issue, as far as customs is concerned.

Counterfeit watches are illegal, here or in Europe. Were you to try and pass through French (possibly Italian too) Customs them they would destroy the items and consider charging you, as they are fiercely protective of trademarks at borders.

It is far more likely the watches you have are imitations, or "homages" - by that I mean more than 9 major differences. It would also mean that no one has the right to confiscate them - unless they actually say the name on them, in which case they are imitations who rely on the name being on them to pass muster. 15 years ago there was a spate of imitations produced here with the names deliberately miss-spelled. Carter, for instance.

I concur that UK customs would not bother you unless they think you are up to something else as well. Most times terminal four has no-one in the red channel anyway. They all know exactly whats coming through as they have x-rayed the luggage already in baggage handling.

One thing - it doesn't matter what you do with them. If you are searched, then they will find them all. Distributing around your luggage is simply an admission that you know you are up to no good. Leave them all in the same bag. If they question you, just say, "have them - they're not worth anything" (Which BTW is true).

Not an issue as they are presents for your family and friends from your trip to Thailand.

In about 2004 or so, when Beckham was wearing those gaudy Jacobs watches, our top man in Pattaya could get us A1 copies (return if faulty) for about Bt1500 each (not your usual muck) which was about £20 at the time. We could get close to £100 in the UK so it was good business. However, no-one ever took more than about 20 back and a few different designs because there is no issue with those numbers. Same as football tops. 10 or 20 easy, 100 is a problem.

One or 2 on your wrist - no prob's (commercial divers often where 2 wathces - they are dive type wathces aren;t they? - joke).

Get stopped at Heathrow by Her Majesties C&E, and they fined 14 counterfeit brandname watches in your suitcase - they'll be confiscated.

C&E policy: to actively pursue c/f products imported for personal gain.

To the us ? mail em, every time I go back more customs pricks shaking people down and yes they will def take cf's of any kind, they have from me and many others I have seen waiting getting my stuff torn apart. Washout cops and ex-prison guards they all are.

Counterfeit watches are illegal, here or in Europe. Were you to try and pass through French (possibly Italian too) Customs them they would destroy the items and consider charging you, as they are fiercely protective of trademarks at borders.

It is far more likely the watches you have are imitations, or "homages" - by that I mean more than 9 major differences. It would also mean that no one has the right to confiscate them - unless they actually say the name on them, in which case they are imitations who rely on the name being on them to pass muster. 15 years ago there was a spate of imitations produced here with the names deliberately miss-spelled. Carter, for instance.

I concur that UK customs would not bother you unless they think you are up to something else as well. Most times terminal four has no-one in the red channel anyway. They all know exactly whats coming through as they have x-rayed the luggage already in baggage handling.

One thing - it doesn't matter what you do with them. If you are searched, then they will find them all. Distributing around your luggage is simply an admission that you know you are up to no good. Leave them all in the same bag. If they question you, just say, "have them - they're not worth anything" (Which BTW is true).

Recent updates within the EU as far as my knowledge goes, if your caught bringing in counterfeits of any number, then they will be seized and you will be made to pay the VAT on the cost of the original product. Of course, discretion on the part of customs plays an important role in the enforcement. I do know France is particularly strict on this at present. UK, your more than likely get away with due to the other flights coming into Heathrow.

Postage, Thailand's postal service is now getting rewards for intercepting counterfeit packages from the brand owners of products.

Football Shirts, purchase a couple at max, Nike, Adidas and the team owners have clubbed together to share costs and they have a zero tolerance policy even in these hard hit financial times! Soon to incorporate the national leagues as well!

Final thought... If you get caught once, there will be a nice flag that comes up with your passport number and bingo your being searched again and again and again!!!

Pay your money and take a chance

Going to the UK with 14 CF watches should be ok (in your suitcase ) but if your stopped and they find them 100% they will take them

and will not charge you, they might issue you with a leaflet explaining allowances and make you sign a form then that gets linked to your passport ,so if your stopped again you have no excuse and they can take stuff off you and maybe charge you.

colino

Thanks for the advice.

I am going to North Africa to work. I've taken 10 or 11 watches there before. Other people that reside here normally take a couple with them too. However after all the comments here I think I might be better to limit myself to 3 or 4 in future. I only take them as a favor and in return for people bringing me things from the UK. Its not at all worth getting into trouble or even loosing them to customs.

I think I will make this my last decent sized batch.

Copies, fakes, imitations are all illegal. Western countries are now enforcing the law and if customs inspects your baggage such items will be seized. You may or may not be charged or a fine levied depending on the circumstances. If the items are seized or if you are fined you were warned.

At the Uk customs thier is no fine for bringing in counterfeit goods it is a criminal act, customs would interview you then hand the case over to the police who could bring charges and put you before a court, but for 14 watches they would just take them, (and sell em to thier mates )

If customs thought that you did this to earn an income then they could take it further illegal gains etc etc

Ps the golden rule is once stopped don't try it again (they keep records)

This is an easy one, carry no contraband in your main luggage, carry the watches on your person,( a coat with many pockets will do,) if you are stopped and have nothing in your luggage you wont get a body search .worked ok for me for about 8 years ,. :o

Recent updates within the EU as far as my knowledge goes, if your caught bringing in counterfeits of any number, then they will be seized and you will be made to pay the VAT on the cost of the original product. Of course, discretion on the part of customs plays an important role in the enforcement. I do know France is particularly strict on this at present. UK, your more than likely get away with due to the other flights coming into Heathrow.

Postage, Thailand's postal service is now getting rewards for intercepting counterfeit packages from the brand owners of products.

Football Shirts, purchase a couple at max, Nike, Adidas and the team owners have clubbed together to share costs and they have a zero tolerance policy even in these hard hit financial times! Soon to incorporate the national leagues as well!

Final thought... If you get caught once, there will be a nice flag that comes up with your passport number and bingo your being searched again and again and again!!!

NOT TRUE,.......".Recent updates within the EU as far as my knowledge goes, if your caught bringing in counterfeits of any number, then they will be seized and you will be made to pay the VAT on the cost of the original product."..There is no retail price on copies,so how can they charge vat ?. and if they charged it that would mean you can keep them, ? i dont think so,. all they do f you are considered to have too much is conviscate them,,up to about 12 items you are ok ,just say for gifts,as long as you dont have a lot and they dont consider you have them to re sell its plain sailing,

Have done both...

I've mailed them 7 or 8 times to friends in the US and have carried them with me at least as many times. But never have mailed or carried more than 5 or so...and never a problem. 14 sounds like pushing the limit where 5 could get you by without a problem even if noticed.

Hi

You are generous indeed, taking 14 watch's back for your friend's at work, bet you are a popular guy, good hearted, nice to hear a nice story.

Usual thing is for the greedy gits taking 14 copy watch's back so they can sell them, great to hear a nice story from a nice guy. Copy watch is illegal, smuggling is illegal, if no copy's then the firm that makes the original would sell more merchandise keeping honest people in a job. I assume when they go wrong the seller would reimberse his mate? :o

Edited by MysteryPlane

The fake watches are made in a factory by regular people, much the same as genuine watches are made...where do terrorists come into it?

Bin Laden is running a watch factory in China on the side?

may be you dont know;where are you going?in my country they have changed the law last year;they can punish you for possesion of

copies,even one watch on your hand would do!I do it with movies and cds,very easy to spot on xray.they saw it,they did not care.

it depends on attitude.

NOT TRUE,.......".Recent updates within the EU as far as my knowledge goes, if your caught bringing in counterfeits of any number, then they will be seized and you will be made to pay the VAT on the cost of the original product."..There is no retail price on copies,so how can they charge vat ?. and if they charged it that would mean you can keep them, ? i dont think so,. all they do f you are considered to have too much is conviscate them,,up to about 12 items you are ok ,just say for gifts,as long as you dont have a lot and they dont consider you have them to re sell its plain sailing,

Basic Education - With regards to the VAT issue. It goes without saying that a counterfeit product has to be a copy of an original product that bears the BRAND NAME! Otherwise it wouldn't be counterfeit or copy and would in fact be an original product itself... Any problems so far?! Maybe I didn't expalin it that well so here goes. It is a criminal offence, if caught like a previous poster stated, it will be passed onto the police/local law enforcement agencies (depending which country) and prosecuted. Sentences at court if found guilty vary from fines to imprisonment. Fines will also include the VAT that is placed on the original product of the copy that you are smuggling. Hence the reason you will pay the VAT of the original product...