Taking Watches Out Of Thailand. Copys.

Richb2004v2

Has anyone had any trouble taking copy watches out of Thailand? I always take a few back to work with me for friends. This time I have 14 watches and would hate to get stopped and have them taken from me. I think is quantity's like this I am ok but wonder if anyone has have any problems.

Hi

You are generous indeed, taking 14 watch's back for your friend's at work, bet you are a popular guy, good hearted, nice to hear a nice story.

Usual thing is for the greedy gits taking 14 copy watch's back so they can sell them, great to hear a nice story from a nice guy. Copy watch is illegal, smuggling is illegal, if no copy's then the firm that makes the original would sell more merchandise keeping honest people in a job. I assume when they go wrong the seller would reimberse his mate? :o

You go me! Nothing gets past you. I do put a couple of hundred baht on top of each one, to cover costs and over heads you see. :D

I certainly am not depriving the manufacturer of the original watch of any money. There is no way the guys I sell the watches to for 30 pounds are going to otherwise buy an original as 5000 pounds. It’s completely different to copy CDs or DVDs where the difference in price from one to the other is only 10 pounds. It is of course still illegal.

Two of the watches are actually returns for repair. I do a good service. :D

Sorry mate, where do you get this rubbish from, ive been stopped 2 times with a fair number of watches, each time they have taken them off me and ive gone on my way, not even a severe bollocking,. and every time after that i have carried back similar amounts,..in 10 years ive been stopped 4 times ,and at one time i was doing 8 trips a year,it is not a criminal offence to purchase copy items for self use,it would only become a criminal offence if you were offering said copies as genuine, ( in which case you deserve nicking ),show me one example of where anyone was charged vat on a copy for the real thing ?,. i wont hold my breath :o

Sorry mate, where do you get this rubbish from, ive been stopped 2 times with a fair number of watches, each time they have taken them off me and ive gone on my way, not even a severe bollocking,. and every time after that i have carried back similar amounts,..in 10 years ive been stopped 4 times ,and at one time i was doing 8 trips a year,it is not a criminal offence to purchase copy items for self use,it would only become a criminal offence if you were offering said copies as genuine, ( in which case you deserve nicking ),show me one example of where anyone was charged vat on a copy for the real thing ?,. i wont hold my breath :o

How many did you have taken from you? When you think about it there must be hundreds of tourist that go home with a dozen watches as gifts, as well as plenty of other copied items.

Sorry mate, where do you get this rubbish from, ive been stopped 2 times with a fair number of watches, each time they have taken them off me and ive gone on my way, not even a severe bollocking,. and every time after that i have carried back similar amounts,..in 10 years ive been stopped 4 times ,and at one time i was doing 8 trips a year,it is not a criminal offence to purchase copy items for self use,it would only become a criminal offence if you were offering said copies as genuine, ( in which case you deserve nicking ),show me one example of where anyone was charged vat on a copy for the real thing ?,. i wont hold my breath :D

How many did you have taken from you? When you think about it there must be hundreds of tourist that go home with a dozen watches as gifts, as well as plenty of other copied items.

Over 20 :o .i dont know anyone that has had a problem with 10 or less,. :D

From my point of view you might run in trouble at your port of arrival, if some trainee customs boy, carefully watched by his superior,

has his field day and will tell you, "you just have been charged for trying to import counterfeit goods with the intention to sell".

10 or 20 is a figure hard to make someone belief this is "for personal use only". MHO

Check it out at Vancouver airport...

/edit typing error

Edited by webfact

I not a watch wearing guy but........Would be cool to buy one for my son.

Are these decent quality watches?

Anywhere to buy them in Chiang Mai?

Thanks

Night Bizaare road, the best guy is opposite the road that goes to Mcdonalds, ask to see the catalogue and don't pay more than a 1000thb

I not a watch wearing guy but........Would be cool to buy one for my son.

Are these decent quality watches?

Anywhere to buy them in Chiang Mai?

Thanks

Night Bizaare road, the best guy is opposite the road that goes to Mcdonalds, ask to see the catalogue and don't pay more than a 1000thb

I think 1000bt is too cheap. The only ones I have seen for less than 1000bt were the cheapest quality most basic design. I've been buying for a few years and I can't get a decent copy for that price. I'd say that for a Rolex you will pay 1300 bt if you're lucky. I see tourists and new comers paying a lot more than that for the same watches I buy.

The importation of fake items of any kind probably violates the laws of you country,

and therefore is not acceptable in the Forum.

//Closed//

I have since received this comment from a member.

I am an attorney in Los Angeles California, and I litigate copyright and trademark infringement claims.

Your justification for closing the topic thread is mistaken. In the United States, and in most countries, the possession of fake or copy products, including watches, is not illegal. Rather, the possession or importation for sale is illegal Thus, you can buy fake products, as long as there is no intent to re-sell. Likewise, in the United states, you can bring back fake watches from other countries as long as they were purchased for your personal use. Not surprisingly, the same is true of fake CD/DVDs,

Again the issue s not importation for personal use. Rather, it is the sale (and in the case of CD/DVDs dissemination) that is illegal.

My thanks to enlightening me