If I Am A Self-employed Web-based Employee Of A Company Based In The Uk

Will I be breaking any laws? I assume so, as I will be working without a work permit and not paying tax in Thailand.

I'm stuck in the UK (my homeland) and very keen to get back to Thailand, but would like some kind of income to see me through.

A couple of months ago I applied for a job with a text-message answering service in the UK - people text in questions and a team of researchers sit in their home armed with broadband connections and come up with answers. The answer is then sent through the online system back to the phone of the questioner. The researchers get paid per question answered and the result is usually a modest but useful second income for impoverished low-earners such as myself.

But upon getting the job and working at it for a few weeks, I see no reason why I can't transfer my set-up to Thailand. Ignoring the legalities of it all, all I need is a reasonably reliable broadband connection and a laptop. 100% of the job is based online, so my employers need never know of my whereabouts. As far as they would be concerned I would still be in the UK.

This idea certainly beats the idea of teaching English in my eyes so I'm just posting this here incase anyone happens to know any reasons why this won't work. Otherwise I'm going to start planning a test run in the near future.

Your Port Address would not be the same as in England, even if you remained with your current ISP. All emails are tracable. This also applies to wireless connections using others systems. Pitfall number one.

I will leave it to others as to explain the internet capabilities of Thailand, as I never have actual line connection, I use wireless. It would take me a month of Sundays to explain the problems I have at times. :o

Edit: Adding that I do online free lottos also, and I have no problem in the UK, entering them. However, when out of the country, for some reason, I get a webpage popping up advising me that I am out of the UK and my play is invalid.

Edited by TEFLMike

so I'm just posting this here in case anyone happens to know any reasons why this won't work. Otherwise I'm going to start planning a test run in the near future.

Just as valid today as the day it was written...

The penalty for working without a valid work permit in Thailand is basically the same as for overstay:

Jail, fine, deportation and possibly blacklisted from entering the Kingdom again.

Read this info: http://www.thaivisa.com/303.0.html

I repeat, there are NO exceptions. All foreigners need a valid work permit.

About 200 western foreigners per year are deported for illegal work.

so I'm just posting this here in case anyone happens to know any reasons why this won't work. Otherwise I'm going to start planning a test run in the near future.

Just as valid today as the day it was written...

The penalty for working without a valid work permit in Thailand is basically the same as for overstay:

Jail, fine, deportation and possibly blacklisted from entering the Kingdom again.

Read this info: http://www.thaivisa.com/303.0.html

I repeat, there are NO exceptions. All foreigners need a valid work permit.

About 200 western foreigners per year are deported for illegal work.

and even more seriously....you would be committing a tax felony by not paying PIT(personal income tax) to the Revenue Department.

I work on internet a couple of years.Dont tell any one what u are doing so u will be fine.If u pay tax for your salery from Uk u can set up a company in Thailand and u pay tax here,get workpermit etc but u dont have to.Smal chance any one will find out.U can hide your work easy on your computer

so no one will ever find it if they were looking.