Flights Bangkok To Chiang Mai

colcol

we will be flying ba to bangkok next month (using airmiles). we want to end our journey in chiang mai. if we buy our airline tickets from bangkok to chiang mai in london they cost much more than buiing them in thailand.

how can we book return flights from bangkok to chiang mai and collect them at bangkok airport on arrival from london for use the same day? is electronic ticketing a possibility?

thanks for all help.

we will be flying ba to bangkok next month (using airmiles).  we want to end our journey in chiang mai.   if we buy our airline tickets from bangkok to chiang mai in london they cost much more than buiing them in thailand.

how can we book return flights from bangkok to chiang mai and collect them at bangkok airport on arrival from london for use the same day?   is electronic ticketing a possibility?

thanks for all help.

Be careful about booking your BKK-CM flight too close to your expected arrival time in BKK. If your BA flight is the one that's due to land at 15.40, you'll be sharing the arrivals queues with three other flights from London (EVA, Quantas & Thai) never mind flights from other places and never mind delays to your flight; then the domestic terminal is about 15 mins away after you've cleared international arrivals - before you think about check-in times for the BKK-CM leg.........

I know because I'm booked to arrive on an EVA flight (15.55) and also want to continue to CM. At the moment, I'm thinking of just buying a ticket to CM on the spot - once I've got out of the international arrivals hall and reached the domestic terminal. From what I've seen of the schedules, only Thai have a flight a 1-2 hours (ish) after I'm due to land (17.15 & 19.10)- and the return flight fare seems to be 2 x one-way fare. Having said that, Nok have flights at 16.40 & 20.00; the earlier one seems to be too early to be safe and the later one is, well, late. Against which, the Nok fare will definitely be cheaper if booked in advance (like Easyjet etc) - and after a long-haul from the UK, you might want to think about their business class which is just 500 baht extra (even though the flight's only about an hour).

Check for yourself - and I'd be interested to know what you (or other readers of this thread) come up with.

Steve

Edited by Steve2UK

we will be flying ba to bangkok next month (using airmiles).  we want to end our journey in chiang mai.  if we buy our airline tickets from bangkok to chiang mai in london they cost much more than buiing them in thailand.

how can we book return flights from bangkok to chiang mai and collect them at bangkok airport on arrival from london for use the same day?  is electronic ticketing a possibility?

thanks for all help.

You can buy your ticket online as stated in the previous post.

I would recommend TG e-ticket.

This will enable you to check your luggage through all the way to CM and go through immigrtaion and customs in CM and bypassing the queues in BKK and the long walk to the domestic terminal.

we will be flying ba to bangkok next month (using airmiles).  we want to end our journey in chiang mai.  if we buy our airline tickets from bangkok to chiang mai in london they cost much more than buiing them in thailand.

how can we book return flights from bangkok to chiang mai and collect them at bangkok airport on arrival from london for use the same day?  is electronic ticketing a possibility?

thanks for all help.

This will enable you to check your luggage through all the way to CM and go through immigrtaion and customs in CM and bypassing the queues in BKK and the long walk to the domestic terminal.

Hope you have better luck with the online TG website than I do. I never can book nothing never, so I just ride over to the city office. Maybe I'm just a Luddite.

we will be flying ba to bangkok next month (using airmiles).  we want to end our journey in chiang mai.   if we buy our airline tickets from bangkok to chiang mai in london they cost much more than buiing them in thailand.

how can we book return flights from bangkok to chiang mai and collect them at bangkok airport on arrival from london for use the same day?   is electronic ticketing a possibility?

thanks for all help.

Krub, sounds good - and similar to something that Peaceblondie mentioned to me in a PM (though he was talking more about flying Thai all the way). Do you have any thoughts about what sort of time gap to leave between the scheduled arrival time in BKK and the Thai departure time to CM? I agree that it's likely to be more reliable with Thai - a] they have more flights and b] they are the national carrier in their home base.

Presumably the e-ticket confirmation (e.g from Thai) is enough to produce at the first check-in - London in this case - for luggage to go all the way through to CM?

If you book your BKK to CNX leg on Thai Airways, you can continue as an international passenger to CNX and go through customs here. A dream compared to BKK. Surely the price of the ticket is no more that 2500 Baht equivalent in UK.

The downside of this is your a captive of the boarding lounge in BKK, your are "controlled" until you get to CNX and go through customs. The connection time will make a difference and delays, cancellations and the like may end up as a horror story.

I live here so I approach the issue somewhat differently. When I come in from Australia, Igo through customs, collect my baggage and merely go over to Thai Orient :One-two Go" and buy my ticket on the next flight. The baggage carts are readily available at Don Muang Airport in Bangkok and are free. If they have nothing near my desired time, I visit ticket counters for Nok Air and Air Asia in that order. You can always buy a ticket on Thai Airways as well, since they have the most flights every day.

After a long flight from London, a couple of hours in the airport walking around, have refreshments, etc. really isn't so bad and you have control over your situation, not at the mercy of the airlines.

If you book your BKK to CNX leg on Thai Airways, you can continue as an international passenger to CNX and go through customs here.  A dream compared to BKK.  Surely the price of the ticket is no more that 2500 Baht equivalent in UK.

The downside of this is your a captive of the boarding lounge in BKK, your are "controlled" until you get to CNX and go through customs.  The connection time will make a difference and delays, cancellations and the like may end up as a horror story.

I live here so I approach the issue somewhat differently.  When I come in from Australia, Igo through customs, collect my baggage and  merely go over to Thai Orient :One-two Go" and buy my ticket on the next flight.  The baggage carts are readily available at Don Muang Airport in Bangkok and are free. If they have nothing near my desired time, I visit ticket counters for Nok Air and Air Asia in that order.  You can always buy a ticket on Thai Airways as well, since they have the most flights every day.

After a long flight from London, a couple of hours in the airport walking around, have refreshments, etc. really isn't so bad and you have control over your situation, not at the mercy of the airlines.

Thanks for the thoughts, ProThaiExpert. I'm inclined to agree with you about having flexibility (i.e. booking as you go) and the chance to take a breather after the long-haul from London. Checking all the way through to CM is fine if ALL goes according to plan - and horror-show if the first part of it fails.

I didn't know about Orient Thai - looks good (flight at 19.00 and cheap at 1,350 Baht)...........

http://www.orient-thai.com/web/home.html

Between the available airlines, it looks very unlikely that one would be stranded without a viable onward option.

If you book your BKK to CNX leg on Thai Airways, you can continue as an international passenger to CNX and go through customs here.  A dream compared to BKK.  Surely the price of the ticket is no more that 2500 Baht equivalent in UK.

The downside of this is your a captive of the boarding lounge in BKK, your are "controlled" until you get to CNX and go through customs.  The connection time will make a difference and delays, cancellations and the like may end up as a horror story.

I live here so I approach the issue somewhat differently.  When I come in from Australia, Igo through customs, collect my baggage and  merely go over to Thai Orient :One-two Go" and buy my ticket on the next flight.  The baggage carts are readily available at Don Muang Airport in Bangkok and are free. If they have nothing near my desired time, I visit ticket counters for Nok Air and Air Asia in that order.  You can always buy a ticket on Thai Airways as well, since they have the most flights every day.

Thanks for the thoughts, ProThaiExpert. I'm inclined to agree with you about having flexibility (i.e. booking as you go) and the chance to take a breather after the long-haul from London. Checking all the way through to CM is fine if ALL goes according to plan - and horror-show if the first part of it fails.

I didn't know about Orient Thai - looks good (flight at 19.00 and cheap at 1,350 Baht)...........

Between the available airlines, it looks very unlikely that one would be stranded without a viable onward option.

One point to note is that if your arriving around Feb 6-12th its Chinese New Year and flights maybe fuller than normal.cheers

One point to note is that if your arriving around Feb 6-12th its Chinese New Year and flights maybe fuller than normal.cheers

Ouch........... February 10th :o Thanks for the tip. I think I'll pre-book, but allow a couple of hours margin. Thanks, Trawler.

Ouch........... February 10th :o Thanks for the tip. I think I'll pre-book, but allow a couple of hours margin. Thanks, Trawler.

The major downside of booking on discount airlines is the penalties they charge for missed or changed itineraries. On Thai Airways they don't charge for changed flights. If your going to book all the way through, go Thai Airways and enjoy immigration in CNX and don't worry about the somwhat higher cost.

The major downside of booking on discount airlines is the penalties they charge for missed or changed itineraries. On Thai Airways they don't charge for changed flights. If your going to book all the way through, go Thai Airways and enjoy immigration in CNX and don't worry about the somwhat higher cost.

Thanks again, PTE. In fact I e-mailed Thai today to ask them specifically about being re-booked (without charge) onto a later flight if I didn't make the one I book. No reply yet, but I assume from what you say that they'll say "yes". If so, it's the best of both worlds............. Any thoughts on how busy the flights would be late afternoon/early evening on a Thursday in the middle of Chinese New Year? Point being that I'll also have a hotel room in CM pre-booked for that night.

Edited by Steve2UK

Thanks again, TPE. In fact I e-mailed Thai today to ask them specifically about being re-booked (without charge) onto a later flight if I didn't make the one I book. No reply yet, but I assume from what you say that they'll say "yes". If so, it's the best of both worlds............. Any thoughts on how busy the flights would be late afternoon/early evening on a Thursday in the middle of Chinese New Year? Point being that I'll also have a hotel room in CM pre-booked for that night.

I know on traditional Thai holidays, especially the King and Queens birthdays, the flights are largely full. Chinese New Year is unknown to me in this regard but since many people who live in BKK had second homes in CNX, I wouldn't be surprised.

Any chance of booking your UK to BKK leg on Thai? Is the cost difference substantial?You would be their responsibility then and would get the overnight hotel room paid for if things were tough. I failed to mention that a slight downside of buying your ticket in BKK is that you have to cart your luggage from the international terminal to the domestic terminal, about a kilometer. There is an airconditioned bridge between the two so it really isn't very difficult unless your really frazzled. If you book through on Thai, they transport you to your gate for the CNX leg and your baggage goes straight through.

By the way, it just occured to me that budget airlines like One-two go, Nok Air and cattle car Air Asia, are point to point airlines and you can't book through on them. Thus, if you opt for the budget airlines, you will have to go through customs in BKK and then "check in" with the budget airline at least 45 minutes before your departure time. They actually close their check in facilities 45 minutes before departure and the same staff go up to the departure gate. Even when traveling from CNX to Phuket on a point to point airline, you must collect your baggage in BKK and "check in again" in Bkk at the Phuket check in counter.

AirAsia does not allow for seat assignments, so boarding is a cattle call. Avoid them if you are at the end of a long flight.

Is your schedule so tight that you couldn't stay over a night in BKK if things really got rough?

thanks for all help.

Krub, sounds good - and similar to something that Peaceblondie mentioned to me in a PM (though he was talking more about flying Thai all the way). Do you have any thoughts about what sort of time gap to leave between the scheduled arrival time in BKK and the Thai departure time to CM? I agree that it's likely to be more reliable with Thai - a] they have more flights and b] they are the national carrier in their home base.

Presumably the e-ticket confirmation (e.g from Thai) is enough to produce at the first check-in - London in this case - for luggage to go all the way through to CM?

Yes an e-ticket confirmation is enough for through check luggage from LHR to CNX. Once you have booked your TG flight via teir website, call the TG reservation in LHR and have them input your arrival flight data BAXXX in their system so that they will 'if all goes well' re-book you if your BA flight is very late.

I would allow 1h30 minutes minimum for scheduled times between the arrival time of BA and the departure time of TG. As far as I know BA would arrive mid-afternoon so you have until TG's last flight at 10pm to get to CNX that day even if your BA flight make you iss your booked flight. Get a business class TG at around 3.000 bahts and enjoy the TG international lounge especially if you arrive from BA in F. If you are really worried about your connection you could always call TG from the plane to inform them of your arrival actual time and ask them to re-book you if you are running too late

Have a good trip

Ouch........... February 10th :D Thanks for the tip. I think I'll pre-book, but allow a couple of hours margin. Thanks, Trawler.

Thanks again, TPE. In fact I e-mailed Thai today to ask them specifically about being re-booked (without charge) onto a later flight if I didn't make the one I book. No reply yet, but I assume from what you say that they'll say "yes". If so, it's the best of both worlds............. Any thoughts on how busy the flights would be late afternoon/early evening on a Thursday in the middle of Chinese New Year? Point being that I'll also have a hotel room in CM pre-booked for that night.

I know on traditional Thai holidays, especially the King and Queens birthdays, the flights are largely full. Chinese New Year is unknown to me in this regard but since many people who live in BKK had second homes in CNX, I wouldn't be surprised.

Any chance of booking your UK to BKK leg on Thai? Is the cost difference substantial?You would be their responsibility then and would get the overnight hotel room paid for if things were tough. I failed to mention that a slight downside of buying your ticket in BKK is that you have to cart your luggage from the international terminal to the domestic terminal, about a kilometer. There is an airconditioned bridge between the two so it really isn't very difficult unless your really frazzled. If you book through on Thai, they transport you to your gate for the CNX leg and your baggage goes straight through.

By the way, it just occured to me that budget airlines like One-two go, Nok Air and cattle car Air Asia, are point to point airlines and you can't book through on them. Thus, if you opt for the budget airlines, you will have to go through customs in BKK and then "check in" with the budget airline at least 45 minutes before your departure time. They actually close their check in facilities 45 minutes before departure and the same staff go up to the departure gate. Even when traveling from CNX to Phuket on a point to point airline, you must collect your baggage in BKK and "check in again" in Bkk at the Phuket check in counter.

AirAsia does not allow for seat assignments, so boarding is a cattle call. Avoid them if you are at the end of a long flight.

Is your schedule so tight that you couldn't stay over a night in BKK if things really got rough?

I'm already booked & paid for with EVA LHR-BKK - due to cost/availability factors. I think the other points you mention are even more of a reason to go with Thai for BKK-CNX in this case. I also asked them in my e-mail about baggage going straight through to CNX without my having to retrieve it in BKK and about clearing immigration in CNX - so I'll see what they say. I also joined their Frequent Flyer programme, so maybe they'll be caring :D .

The walkway between terminals is no great hassle - I did it once before (was actually a bit frazzled that time and found it a tad surreal :o ).

My schedule's not that tight - I'm going to be in CM for a few weeks; I just want to get there a.s.a.p. and get settled in. I'm also genetically anti the notion of paying for a hotel in CM that I wouldn't be using that night!

Once again, thanks for the input - much appreciated.

thanks for all help.

Yes an e-ticket confirmation is enough for through check luggage from LHR to CNX. Once you have booked your TG flight via teir website, call the TG reservation in LHR and have them input your arrival flight data BAXXX in their system so that they will 'if all goes well' re-book you if your BA flight is very late.

I would allow 1h30 minutes minimum for scheduled times between the arrival time of BA and the departure time of TG. As far as I know BA would arrive mid-afternoon so you have until TG's last flight at 10pm to get to CNX that day even if your BA flight make you iss your booked flight. Get a business class TG at around 3.000 bahts and enjoy the TG international lounge especially if you arrive from BA in F. If you are really worried about your connection you could always call TG from the plane to inform them of your arrival actual time and ask them to re-book you if you are running too late

Have a good trip

Thanks, Krub. In fact I'm flying to BKK with EVA (original poster is with BA) - but what you say obviously applies to me as well. As I mentioned to ProThaiExpert, I already e-mailed Thai with the relevant questions about baggage going through to CNX, switching pre-booked BKK-CNX flight if my inbound flight is delayed etc.

Thanks to you guys, I think I've got the right balance now. I'm in coach with EVA - are you saying that booking business class with Thai for just the BKK-CNX leg will get me relaxing in their lounge? If so, it's probably worth it after a long slog from London and my body clock all over the place........

Edited by Steve2UK

thanks for all help.

Have a good trip

Thanks, Krub. In fact I'm flying to BKK with EVA (original poster is with BA) - but what you say obviously applies to me as well. As I mentioned to ProThaiExpert, I already e-mailed Thai with the relevant questions about baggage going through to CNX, switching pre-booked BKK-CNX flight if my inbound flight is delayed etc.

Thanks to you guys, I think I've got the right balance now. I'm in coach with EVA - are you saying that booking business class with Thai for just the BKK-CNX leg will get me relaxing in their lounge? If so, it's probably worth it after a long slog from London and my body clock all over the place........

Yes, Having a C class ticket BKK-CNX with TG staying airside will gte you in any TG business class lounge until your flight is called. Well worth it especially if delayed, etc.

I have had some pretty bad experiences being checked through customs at Chiang Mai. Not having the bountiful number of Thais returning from overseas with goods to be taxed. the bored and money-starved customs agents assigned to the wastelands of Chiang Mai Airport have hassled me over rather insignificant items that would not raise an eyebrow at Don Muang. They have even tried to tax me on the used childrens clothing that we were bringing to distibute to the local village kids. If it wasn't for the fact that I spoke decent Thai and was not afraid to get angry (nothing causes a Thai official to lose face more than a Farang cussing in Thai) I would have had to pay them off. Now we never bother with customs in Chiang Mai and always go through Don Muang where we have never once been stopped going through the green line. Besides, the walk from International to Domestic is rather nice after sitting in a plane for 18 hours.

I have had some pretty bad experiences being checked through customs at Chiang Mai. Not having the bountiful number of Thais returning from overseas with goods to be taxed. the bored and money-starved customs agents assigned to the wastelands of Chiang Mai Airport have hassled me over rather insignificant items that would not raise an eyebrow at Don Muang. They have even tried to tax me on the used childrens clothing that we were bringing to distibute to the local village kids. If it wasn't for the fact that I spoke decent Thai and was not afraid to get angry (nothing causes a Thai official to lose face more than a Farang cussing in Thai) I would have had to pay them off. Now we never bother with customs in Chiang Mai and always go through Don Muang where we have never once been stopped going through the green line. Besides, the walk from International to Domestic is rather nice after sitting in a plane for 18 hours.

Interesting point. Customs hassle is certainly not an experience I'd welcome after slogging all the way from home in London the night before..............

Any other CM regulars think that customs at CNX are likely to be a pain? I don't imagine I'd be carrying anything that would give them a starting point (maybe some personal CD's & DVD's with the laptop), but even so........

Any other CM regulars think that customs at CNX are likely to be a pain? I don't imagine I'd be carrying anything that would give them a starting point (maybe some personal CD's & DVD's with the laptop), but even so........

The use of the word "vanilla" brings up an interesting point. Traveling in the last three years, I have noticed that many travellers "dress down" perhaps for comfort, who knows. Anyway, many appear disreputable to me, backpackers the lot.

I dress "up" for travel as I have found that hotels, rental car companies and especially government officials treat me better if I look "presentable" On my last trip to Australia, my Thai got a thorough baggage check as did the other Asian in line at customs, while all falange sailed through.

In CNX, with no items to declare, I can't believe one would have his baggage searched if one looked presentable. Dressed in a t-shirt, shorts, sandals etc. I would expect a second look. Likewise, country of origin has a lot to do with what is searched. They may even look at itineraries in your passport for a pattern suggesting smuggling.

Then again, my gray hair and distinguished look combined with nice dress may have an effect as well.

The use of the word "vanilla" brings up an interesting point. Traveling in the last three years, I have noticed that many travellers "dress down" perhaps for comfort, who knows. Anyway, many appear disreputable to me, backpackers the lot.

I dress "up" for travel as I have found that hotels, rental car companies and especially government officials treat me better if I look "presentable" On my last trip to Australia, my Thai got a thorough baggage check as did the other Asian in line at customs, while all falange sailed through.

In CNX, with no items to declare, I can't believe one would have his baggage searched if one looked presentable. Dressed in a t-shirt, shorts, sandals etc. I would expect a second look. Likewise, country of origin has a lot to do with what is searched. They may even look at itineraries in your passport for a pattern suggesting smuggling.

Then again, my gray hair and distinguished look combined with nice dress may have an effect as well.

That may be very true here,but a customs officer worth his salt will be looking at the well dressed person first.

I have also heard the opposite in Chiang Mai.Because they are not that busy, it is much easier to shakedown passangers(Thais). :o

Many thanks to all who replied to my questions about a] time margin between scheduled arrival in BKK/onward flight to CNX and then b] avoiding "attention" from bored/greedy CNX customs persons :D

Have now booked online with Nok for a flight BKK-CNX leaving 4 hours after I'm due to arrive in BKK - which should be enough time to allow for ordinary delay as well as clearing BKK immigration/customs.

Famous last words......... :o