Arrested For Playing Poker

N47HAN

Have heard there was a French guy arrested recently for playing poker ( cards ) there was a link to the papers report but when i had a look no info there.
Look here:

www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2009/article7219.html

Yes its great when the BIB cruise around locking up all the grannies, marching them down to the lockup for the day then at 4pm the local judge hoards them all into court, asks them for a guilty plea & then hands down the standard 1,300 baht fine....not that its happened to me :o

my point being, you would think with everything going on in this place, that the BIB would have something better to do!

Edited by neverdie

Yes its great when the BIB cruise around locking up all the grannies, marching them down to the lockup for the day then at 4pm the local judge hoards them all into court, asks them for a guilty plea & then hands down the standard 1,300 baht fine....not that its happened to me :o

my point being, you would think with everything going on in this place, that the BIB would have something better to do!

It's no surprise really as gambling is illegal in Thailand. A couple of months ago I saw the Police tackle a huge gambling ring outside the restaurant on the condo ground floor. The Police swooped and the gamblers ran like 'robbers dogs'. The Police in hot pursuit and foot soon caught the evil doers and cuffed them to the restaurant table. Following a 5 minute 'kangaroo court' trial the two law breakers were sadly found guilty of playing cards to the tune of 1 Baht, yes 1 Baht per hand. They were then encouraged to contribute to the annual Police man's ball.

Guilty as charged your Honour!

Cheers, Rick

darling- we agree on something

there is hope for us yet!

XXX

more stupidity/time/money/etc wasted

You mean like dealing with REAL criminals? :o

Time for a reality check. Dealing with real criminals:-

1. exposes the BiB to danger.

2. requires the BiB complete tiresome paperwork rather than watch TV.

3. gets in the way of collecting the public's grateful and generous donations to their party...sorry....benevolent fund.

and finally,

4. is likely to bring them into a "conflict of interest" situation with their superior officers.

Much better to collar a handfull of hapless punters playing cards for ten Baht and fine them a couple of thousand each.

It's no surprise really as gambling is illegal in Thailand. A couple of months ago I saw the Police tackle a huge gambling ring outside the restaurant on the condo ground floor. The Police swooped and the gamblers ran like 'robbers dogs'. The Police in hot pursuit and foot soon caught the evil doers and cuffed them to the restaurant table. Following a 5 minute 'kangaroo court' trial the two law breakers were sadly found guilty of playing cards to the tune of 1 Baht, yes 1 Baht per hand. They were then encouraged to contribute to the annual Police man's ball.

Guilty as charged your Honour!

Cheers, Rick

I would buy a ticket if it was a raffle. :D

Of the 15 people arrested, most were French nationals playing poker for stakes reportedly “in the millions of baht”.

However, only 9,500 baht in cash was seized as evidence, along with decks of cards, poker chips and other gambling-related items.

this is funny. so the police pocketed the rest :o

It's no surprise really as gambling is illegal in Thailand.

Oh really!!! It's only illegal here if they can't get taxes from it. You've never been to the horseracing in Bangkok then. 10000 Thais gambling like crazy every weekend. All the horses owned by Army Maj. blahblah or Police Col. blahblah...so you can imagine the results!! Then there's the millions buying lottery tickets every week. Stick 10000baht on the Colonels' horse to win...no problem. Sit at a bar and play a bar girl at Connect4 for 20baht...nono.gif T.I.T.

Have heard there was a French guy arrested recently for playing poker ( cards ) there was a link to the papers report but when i had a look no info there.

Anybody know anything ?

Seems normal for Patong:

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear :o

Seems normal for Patong:

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear :D

Huggy... you made me laugh. Was the double meaning intended .... :o

Absolutely, and thanks for not deleting, when I saw you were last post I was thinking maybe you'd nuke it.

Cheers, HB

Last year my neigbour got busted for playing cards 3000 baht fine and the other 3 people lost there stake money.

colino

Had the whole family locked up for playing dominos in Issan, including 3 children and my daughter aged 6 months, ( no one to look after her) left father in law out to get papers for farm, to gurantee fine :o

Sorry for the newbie question, what is the BIB? I assume some sort of law enforcement org. but what exactly is it? (BTW I am not in Phuket for another 2 weeks, thus my excuse for not knowing).

Boys-in-Brown = The Police

Its also an international term, can be used for;

Boys in Black

Boys in Blue

surprised you've never heard of it before.

Ah I see!!! I am FAR from well traveled... so I would assume that is why I have never heard it. Here in the good ol USA (is my sarcasim coming throug???) we have names for the police too but I have yet to hear that one.

Thanks for the 411 everyone.