Traffic Chaos In Bangkok As Protesters Close Main Roads

george

.. it is about being against a state ruled without any true democracy or freedom of speech

Precisely why Thaksin is so disliked - under his leadership we had neither true democracy nor freedom of speech. Were you here then Edward? I really can't believe you can of been.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have tried to keep Thailand free of us (and every nation bordering) for centuries. That is one of the major problems and things that need to be changed!

I noticed that trend changing ever so much in the five years that Mr. Big was running the show. Not. Were you actually in Thailand between 2001 and 2006?

Edited by ovenman

Sure he and his family stole billions but.....

You are adding a "but" to a statement like "Sure he and his family stole billions.."???!!! :o

There should never be a "but" to a statement like that, just as there's no "but" to a statement like "Sure, he sanctioned the killing of thousands of people without trial..."

Are you telling me that any other politician in Thailand is NOT corrupt....

And you miss the whole point again.... It is not about being pro-Thaksin, it is about being against a state ruled without any true democracy or freedom of speech so once again,

"Do you admire Abhisit, Suthep, Kasit and Korn and their backers and turn your back on all the people's rights?"

Chuan was never corrupt and had at the end less money than before.

I didn't hear anything about Abhisit is corrupt.

But from Thaksin, Samak, etc everyone knows

So what word do you use for twisting the law, police and administration to give immunity to the PAD but prosecute the DAAD in return for support from your sponsors? What word do you give to strategically moving any non-PAD supporters our of positions of responsibility and replacing them with your own? What word do you give to giving a cabinet post to a PAD supporter who openly occupied the airport and then protect him from any further comeback? ummm....?

I NEVER EVER see any positive recommendation for the Abhisit yellow government.

It's always nice when people can provide their own answer to their own wonderings... :o

Just selective vision by some members

I hope you understand your own humour!

I could draw pictures if you need, but basically the reason you gave to other forum readers in one post provides the reason about a point that you were wondering about in another post.

Sure he and his family stole billions but.....

You are adding a "but" to a statement like "Sure he and his family stole billions.."???!!! :D

There should never be a "but" to a statement like that, just as there's no "but" to a statement like "Sure, he sanctioned the killing of thousands of people without trial..."

Are you telling me that any other politician in Thailand is NOT corrupt....

And you miss the whole point again.... It is not about being pro-Thaksin, it is about being against a state ruled without any true democracy or freedom of speech so once again,

"Do you admire Abhisit, Suthep, Kasit and Korn and their backers and turn your back on all the people's rights?"

Chuan was never corrupt and had at the end less money than before.

I didn't hear anything about Abhisit is corrupt.

But from Thaksin, Samak, etc everyone knows

According to Koo Chuan's lack of corruption and the fact that he never stole from the country or enriched his family was a sure sign he was a useless PM. She even berated him in a recent post for not owning a house and becoming filthy rich during his time in office. Classic Red logic. :o

Presumably her and her ilk will be equally angry if Abhisit also does not steal billions out of state coffers and offer all the most lucrative contracts to his family and cronies a la Shinawatra-style of governance. :D

just many people don't want to live in a Peoples Republic of Thailand, with dearest leader Thaksin.

You should try Burma then - I am sure they will love people like you...

The trouble is they don't and they don't in Thailand either because the bit you miss is that the average Thai looks down on and resents foreigners but the elite Thais absolutely despise them and will not let them anywhere near their houses or daughters. At least the regular low to middle class accept us a little more especially if we are married to their daughters so don't kid yourself you are ever going to be accepted into any elitist arena so supporting the old guard. They have tried to keep Thailand free of us (and every nation bordering) for centuries. That is one of the major problems and things that need to be changed!

you missunderstand that! the middle class and upper tried to keep Thailand free of people like you, with good reason.

But don't think the same happened for other farangs with good intentions.

.. it is about being against a state ruled without any true democracy or freedom of speech

Precisely why Thaksin is so disliked - under his leadership we had neither true democracy nor freedom of speech. Were you here then Edward? I really can't believe you can of been.

Ok, for the LAST TIME, read carefully....

I am not pro-Thaksin. I am pro-reform and he is the only one with enough support to change the old guard!!!

I am not pro-Thaksin. I am pro-reform and he is the only one with enough support to change the old guard!!!

As long as you continue to attack Thaksin and say nothing about the 'puppets and muppets' we currently have in power, you are keeping your head in the sand!

So what word do you use for twisting the law, police and administration to give immunity to the PAD but prosecute the DAAD in return for support from your sponsors? What word do you give to strategically moving any non-PAD supporters our of positions of responsibility and replacing them with your own? What word do you give to giving a cabinet post to a PAD supporter who openly occupied the airport and then protect him from any further comeback? ummm....?

any evidence or just blabla?

As long as you continue to attack Thaksin and say nothing about the 'puppets and muppets' we currently have in power, you are keeping your head in the sand!

So you are one of the communists who can show their great success, specially to help the poor in Cambodia, Laos or North Korea?

I believe the standard, canned response is:

I have been in Thailand over 2 decades

just many people don't want to live in a Peoples Republic of Thailand, with dearest leader Thaksin.

You should try Burma then - I am sure they will love people like you...

The trouble is they don't and they don't in Thailand either because the bit you miss is that the average Thai looks down on and resents foreigners but the elite Thais absolutely despise them and will not let them anywhere near their houses or daughters. At least the regular low to middle class accept us a little more especially if we are married to their daughters so don't kid yourself you are ever going to be accepted into any elitist arena so supporting the old guard. They have tried to keep Thailand free of us (and every nation bordering) for centuries. That is one of the major problems and things that need to be changed!

you missunderstand that! the middle class and upper tried to keep Thailand free of people like you, with good reason.

But don't think the same happened for other farangs with good intentions.

I don't think I do misunderstand, I am educated to Master's level, I meet Abhisit and talk to him each year he attends the Oxford and Cambridge Dinner, I have a successful business here and I have a Thai family so I am not really the unwelcome-farang-type but I do believe in freedom of speech and fairness. You have maybe sold out on those a long time ago if you ever had those morals before you came here. I will never let Thailand do that to me. :o

I am educated to Master's level, I meet Abhisit and talk to him each year he attends the Oxford and Cambridge Dinner, I have a successful business here and I have a Thai family so I am not really the unwelcome-farang-type

As always, the great thing about the Internet is that you can be pretty much whoever you want to be...

Edited by ovenman

In my experience, time here is nothing to boast about since unless you are very strong and fight it constantly, you will become the good old MTTT 'more Thai than Thai' and whilst that is nothing for a Thai to be ashamed of, it is nothing for a foreigner to be proud of!

I am educated to Master's level, I meet Abhisit and talk to him each year he attends the Oxford and Cambridge Dinner, I have a successful business here and I have a Thai family so I am not really the unwelcome-farang-type

As always, the great thing about the Internet is that you can be pretty much whoever you want to be...

Yes, especially when you are and have no chips on your shoulder!

So you are one of the communists who can show their great success, specially to help the poor in Cambodia, Laos or North Korea?

You make less sense by the minute... No idea what you are on about but surely nothing to do with my posts or opinions.

Don't forget 99% of us are just

VISITORS here living from visa to visa

Its not our politics its not our country

There is nothing any of us can do.

So calm down drink a chang and chill

Please

colino

Ps can i wear a pink shirt for peace ?

Edited by colino

Sure, especially then. So tell us, when you have these annual heart-to-heart sit-downs with your old school chum Abhisit, do you refer to him as a "Muppet" or a "Puppet" or do you save those descriptive terms of endearment for him to share with all of your friends here on ThaiVisa?

In my experience, time here is nothing to boast about..

As is it nothing to be ashamed of.

So i take it your answer to the question is that you weren't living here for the duration of Thaksin's glorious time in office?

:o Really this thread would be half as long if people gave direct answers to direct questions.

This seems like making a deal with the devil and not expecting to go to hel_l for it. You are right in your ideals of democracy, but trying to get democracy by supporting an authoritarian leader seems like a bit counter productive. The only way forward is for thaksin to go to jail for the crimes he has been convicted for, the red and yellow mobs to disperse and the remaining TRT members to end their political careers once and for all. After all these things happen we can have a free and fair election (maybe UN monitored?) and democracy will be restored

In my experience, time here is nothing to boast about since unless you are very strong and fight it constantly, you will become the good old MTTT 'more Thai than Thai' and whilst that is nothing for a Thai to be ashamed of, it is nothing for a foreigner to be proud of!

that's ok, I don't think most people actually believe that LevelHead has actually been here over 2 decades the same as I don't think most people will buy into your self-description, either.... but hey, as ovenman said...

people can write whatever self-description that want to on the internet... but of course, the real difference is the various ways of confirming those descriptions.

Yeah. Right.

There will be no coup - at least - not at any time soon. The old ruling elite has seen off (undemocratically) the challenge that Thaksin presented to their continued control and hegemony over the masses.

The constitution court ruled that PPP was guilty of election fraud and - as a consequence of this - the party and the government of which it was the main party - was forced to step down.

Under the circumstances - in any other country - another election should have been called - BUT here it wasn't.

Instead all that happened was that the opposition stepped-up and and formed the next government.

This was NOT democratic and the people should have been given the opportunity to chose the next government instead of the constitution court colluding with the powers-that-be and denying the people any democratic input.

If you thought Thaksin represented an authoritarian dictatorship - then the guys currently in power - of whom Abhisit is just a puppet - will make Thaksin look like small fry.

It's all over NOW as far as democracy goes in this country - that's if it ever existed here in the first place -

Thumbs up to you. One of the very few posts here that I completely agree with. Thaksin was a threat to the elite in Thailand that has run the country with their puppets for decades. Thaksin had enough money himself, he didn't need to accept the bribes of the elite and that's why he had to go.

Of course they found him guilty in the land purchase case. But if you dig deep enough, you'll find that 99%+ of Thai politicians used their position in politics at some point to influence this or that deal. It's how politics works. Take Berlusconi in Italy for example. Everyone knows he's a corrupt crook and steals money left and right, but he runs the country the right way and that's why people vote for him.

But back to Thailand. Thaksin got too powerful and dangerous for the elite. He threatened their continuous grip on Thailand's government and that's why he had to go.

rainman - I guess we're in total agreement -

Also - the army had a 'hands-off' approach when it came to the PAD - the PAD was basically able to do whatever they liked - whenever they liked - no matter how many people they inconvenienced - or whatever the economic cost to the counrty was - BUT - you can be sure that the army now is well and firmly on the side of the government and the old ruling elite that whole-heartedly supports it - and vice-versa -

One step out of line by the red-shirts ( Thaksin) and the army will shoot on the red shirts or whatever for they have absolutely nothing to lose now - THEY'RE IN TOTAL CONTROL -

It's their country again - taken back from that dastardly scoundrel Thaksin who threaten their existence and powerbase.

rainman - as you so rightfully said: "He threatened their continuous grip on Thailand's government and that's why he had to go."

Nuff said!

What you are writing is total crap

Last government let the border police shoot tear gas into the demonstrators, (several people wounded)

The reds trowed grenades at night,

The reds launched grenades attacks on a television station.

The police did nothing to prevent it all.

That's why PAD moved to Suva to be more safe for the attacks

Government called out a national alert and even was planning to call up cadets.

Last government run away and hide themselves in Don Muang and Chiang Mai.

Cancelled the ASEAN meeting.

This government let people use their democratic right to protest, no police interfering;

This government go on working normal, not running away somewhere;

This government despite all the demonstrations and stir ups by a convicted criminal kept on working and implement measures to tackle the crisis

This government is hosted already for the second time an ASEAN meeting, where they invite the civil rights committee from Myanmar, first time in ASEAN history.

Its high time some people remove their blindfold and see the truth.

One step out of line by the red-shirts ( Thaksin) and the army will shoot on the red shirts or whatever for they have absolutely nothing to lose now - THEY'RE IN TOTAL CONTROL -

And notice how the police said that they will deal with the protesters? Why did they not deal with the PAD when they caused billions of damages to Thailand? The military didn't step in when the PAD went to the streets, but they're quite willing now.

The way I see it, it's the following:

On one side:

- Thaksin.

- 55-60%+ of Thais (farmers, taxi drivers, aka the poor)

On the other side:

- Abhisit (aka puppet)

- Army

- Police

- 40-45% of Thais (probably 70%+ chinese, aka high class/elite)

Feel free to say that Thaksin got only around 40% in the last election. Of course, because the majority of people voted for the smaller parties, like Newin, that were allied with Thaksin. Once Newin and the others switched to Abhisit, they will lose many votes in the next elections. That's why Abhisit isn't calling for new elections.

But the problem goes much deeper than just Thaksin vs. Abhisit, or TRT/PPP vs. Democrats. The problem is that Thailand's Chinese minority and the elite backing them have been ruling Thailand for a long time, while the majority of Thais who are not ethnic Chinese are basically the slaves of the elite. That's the sad truth.

And don't consider my opinions racist. I have nothing against ethnic Chinese, but that is where the problem comes from. Their continuous grip on the power has given rise to Thaksin, whom many of the poorer Thais see as someone that stands up for them and makes their voices heard. Sure, he profits from everywhere he can, but don't think that the puppets of the elite don't take money as well.

Another problem is that the high class/elite is concentrated in Bangkok, while all the poorer Thais are countryside. This creates something like a North Thailand vs. South Thailand.

The biggest problem is that through Thaksin's years in power, the majority of Thais, who are poor, have gotten a taste of their voices being heard. They're no longer sitting quiet while the now-ruling minority tells them to go home and be quiet. They're coming from where the majority of Thais are from ..from the countryside. The government tried to block them from coming to Bangkok, as they officially declared in the news. Most of them got here anyways. Now they're taking to the streets and the government is telling them to shut up. It won't work.

One of the PAD leaders said during the airport occupation, on live TV, that the poor people from upcountry should be stripped from their voting rights because they don't know who they're voting for. That is the most horrible statement I have ever heard in Thailand. It's like saying "if you don't vote for me, you shouldn't be allowed to vote at all".

Abhisit has gotten a taste of power and he likes being the PM (who wouldn't?) and he doesn't want to go. Eventually he won't have another choice. He should have much sooner called for elections and Thaksin would have never gotten the momentum that he now has. Elections would have been held and Thaksin, just convicted and his party disbanded, may not have gotten enough votes.

With Abhisit now holding on to power, having been elected PM by the elite minority, without free and democratic votes, the majority of poor Thais are feeling that they have been cheated, their country taken away from them. This has given Thaksin the momentum that he needed to stage a comeback.

This won't end overnight. If Abhisit steps down and Thaksin wins the next elections, the PAD will come back. If Abhisit wins, the UDD will come back. The sadly best solution would be a North Thailand and a South Thailand. We all know that won't happen, so the solution will likely be a lot uglier. We're not the ones that will ultimately decide what path Thailand will go from here, but there is no easy way out.

Thailand is where many countries have been at before. In some it turned into a civil war, in others into North and South, East and West, in others into a revolution, in others in a reform.

The elite will not lose power at any cost. The poor will not shut up under any circumstance.

Watch and see what happens, that's all we can do.

This is so funny talking about ethnic Chinese, while Thaksin is one also.

Sure, especially then. So tell us, when you have these annual heart-to-heart sit-downs with your old school chum Abhisit, do you refer to him as a "Muppet" or a "Puppet" or do you save those descriptive terms of endearment for him to share with all of your friends here on ThaiVisa?

Ok, I am tired now of replying to simplistic posts.... IF you read properly, I always said he is smart but he is not his own man here as he took the role to get the position. We don't sit down, we generally stand over a drink after dinner. Which is exactly where I am going now as this conversation is not moving forward for me when some people just dwell on trivia and picking apart the bits of posts they don; tlike like the oysters form a chicken... That is not debating, that is bone picking.

This seems like making a deal with the devil and not expecting to go to hel_l for it. You are right in your ideals of democracy, but trying to get democracy by supporting an authoritarian leader seems like a bit counter productive. The only way forward is for thaksin to go to jail for the crimes he has been convicted for, the red and yellow mobs to disperse and the remaining TRT members to end their political careers once and for all. After all these things happen we can have a free and fair election (maybe UN monitored?) and democracy will be restored

I think I did say at least ten times now for the hard of understanding, I am not recommending Thaksin, I am recommending a step forward to true democracy and freedom of speech via an immediate and fair election...

I do care about those 3.000 + people who died in his war on drugs, so on one side you have former PM who is mass murderer

well said

All drug dealers should be put to death. Many Thai's like Thaksin because he had the will and strength to do this to the scum.

Why does the UK not have a referendum on the death penalty ? Simply because the softy liberal human rights loud mouths know that the majority of the people want it, and would have it come back tomorrow if they could have a referendum.

The Uk can't implement the death penalty again, because its against EU human rights.n laws. Or do you suggest that the UK should leave the EU to implement the death penalty :o

Ok, I am tired now of replying to simplistic posts....

There's yet another canned, overworked response.

some people just dwell on trivia and picking apart the bits of posts they don; tlike like the oysters form a chicken... That is not debating, that is bone picking.

Dwelling on trivia like outlandish, some might even say trollish, claims? Ask mc2 sometime about his "phD [sic] in Thai cultural studies" that he tried to put over in an attempt to legitimize his expertise.

From TOC:

The Mother of a red shirt core leader has asked her son to stop campaigning against the monarchy.

Nuam pleaded with her son to stop what he is doing, saying it is inappropriate and disrespectful. She also expressed interest in meeting her son directly to offer her advice, but added that she has not seen her son for five or six years and Jatuporn has not taken her phone calls during this time.

Aree Parndaeng, Jatuporn's elder sister, confirmed her mother's remarks, saying Jatupron has not taken any phone calls from Nuam, despite her suffering from health problems.

Jatuporn's treatment of his 90 year-old mother is highly reflective to his treatment of Thailand...

UDD lawmaker Jatuporn Prompon declared that a sea of red-shirted supporters would not allow the [ASEAN] summit to commence.

"We have run out of peaceful measures," he told a crowd of supporters.

- Reporting from Thailand, Los Angeles Times / 2009-04-10