Traffic Chaos In Bangkok As Protesters Close Main Roads

george

What explains yours? Marriage to an Isaan woman?

Not cool at all rixalex. You're crossing multiple lines with comments like that.

Don't be such a drama queen.

It's well known that the reds have a lot of support in Isaan and if you happened to marry into a family from this area who were pro red, it's just possible that this might have a bearing on the opinion you form. Hardly rocket science is it?

Edited by rixalex

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its hilarious reading this forum sometimes.

When the previous government were

You're apparent diligence in going back into the archives of Thaivisa is impressive as so many of the events you describe and posters reactions to them were posted months and months before your arrival to Thaivisa membership.

When willit end? :o:D

So long as someone pays daily money to protesters (doesn't matter wich color they are), it will never end. We had four construction workers. They told us yesterday that they will not come work for the next four days, because someone offered them over 1000 Baht per day to go for rallies. I don't know if this is true, but this is what they told us.

I had heard the Democrats/PAD were paying people not to protest. Yes, had heard they were giving people 2000 baht to go an have a slap up meal and get drunk with, provided they love the government and did not join the reds.

More is promised (good old carrot to keep them hanging on).

Not sure if this is true, as anyone else heard of the government paying people 2000 baht for their support ?

yes on this I agree!!

It was called the economic stimulus cheque. 2000 Baht love Abhisit cheque.

Not cool at all rixalex. You're crossing multiple lines with comments like that.

I think it is not top secret that Isaan is the area which likes Thaksin most.

So what is wrong with that idea that hardcore red farangs are most probably married with an Isaan woman and hear the propaganda there?

I simply find it inappropriate to bring other people's wives into a debate in a derogatory way. Call me old-fashioned.

When the previous government were "gentle" with the PAD - it was because they had no power, useless.

The Democrats are gentle and do nothing and - its cause they are clever and all part of the plan.

But as time goes by they will use the same methods as the PAD did.

Time is on the Reds side.

After Songkran its the rainy season.

After Sonkran many hundreds of thousands of people will be laid off for the wet season.

Many people will have nothing to do.......and looking for ways to earn some cash.

Dear oh dear.

The reason why the yellow shirts even returned was when instead of looking after the economy prior to the worldwide collapse in the time of the most expensive oil seen, all Samak wanted to do was fiddle the constitution. Initially they were a bit starstruck, and the PAD was losing support, then for inexplicable reasons they stamped down on them hard, and people died. When they did nothing (as the Dems are doing now) the yellow shirts were running out of steam and support, people were getting bored; stamping down on them was what enflamed the situation eventually leading to the airport occupation and other idiocy.

The rainy season is when the upcountry people DO return back to their farms to grow rice; well maybe not so much now since many have been bankrupted by the rice pledge schemes and forecast high prices last year when Somchai repaid back his rural backers with the high rice price buyouts nad attempts to set up the cartel (which all failed); probably a fair few are broke. So why not come into the city for free, and protest a bit; a fair people of the reds don't really know the concept of cause and effect let's be honest. But the time to arrange protests is Jan - Mar; the reason for now is the world media is here....after this it will be time to wind things up as at the end of the day local media isn't important, this is an attempt to make a political statement worldwide to try to get world opinion on his side.

At least we can be honest is stating this is rent a crowd I guess.

One family, and they went abroad anyhow.....hmmmm..... let;s hope it finishes soon; fact of the matter is this is killing their chances at the polls; after all the red shirts and Thaksin supporters are not quite the same groups in the same way there are plenty of dems who dislike Sonti and the yellow shirts (but then again I don't listen to boneheads like Jakapop Penkair telling me how to think, your experience might differ)

Rainman is certainly getting worked up about this one.

Rainman, "YOU ARE NOT A THAI" , I will repeat this for you in case you missed it the first time, "You are not a Thai".

Amazing Thailand Expats :o

It's a quarterly event... we last saw him in the News Forum back in December.

Yes well perhaps your right SJ, but something has really rattled his chain today. Perhaps its the colour RED. The Red Shirts today & Santa wears red in December.

So what is wrong with that idea that hardcore red farangs are most probably married with an Isaan woman and hear the propaganda there?

I simply find it inappropriate to bring other people's wives into a debate in a derogatory way. Call me old-fashioned.

Okay, you asked for it........ "Old-fashioned". Was that okay? :o

Edited by neverdie

Had Rainman not deleted his post, you would have seen that it was he who brought the subject of wives into this - and that was what i responded to.

Besides which, what on earth did i say that was derogatory? Suggesting that someone's wife comes from Isaan is not an insult.

Edited by rixalex

Rainman, "YOU ARE NOT A THAI" , I will repeat this for you in case you missed it the first time, "You are not a Thai".

Amazing Thailand Expats :o

I'm not worked up at all, I'm just giving everyone my thoughts as this unfolds. Read them if you want, don't read them if you don't. I have my opinions and you have yours. I'm not Thai and probably neither are you, so what's the problem?

A yellow shirt PAD supporter burning a red flag and standing on it, while his family is video taping it and cheering, hardly shows a "tide turning".

Have you watched the videos of the Sathorn incident? Just shows that a lot of ordinary folk are fed up with the whole thing. I think that would have happened if they were Yellows too.

As I keep saying, it is not about the personalities here, it is about saving the country from disaster. The ONLY way is an election and then a democratic government whoever wins or whoevers in the coalition.

I don't think you know how a parliamentary democracy works. The present government is an coalition government and they have an majority in the parliament. So the present government is legal, and therefore new elections are nor necessary. In an parliamentary democracy its not uncommon that when a government lost the vote of trust in the parliament( the last Thai government did) a new government is formed by parties who can achieve an new majority. In some democratic countries they have even legislature governments, meaning that they can only have elections after the legislature period of the parliament is finished, so when a government loose a vote of confidence the constitution make it mandatory that a new parliamentary majority is formed who make a new government.

I presume that you are an American or British citizen who are familiar with a 2 party system and therefore not familiar with coalition governments.

Yes, I am British but I do understand the system as we also have had coalitions in the UK too. It is pretty simple. If there is no faith in a government (motion of no confidence in the UK, censure here etc), the government calls an election, it does not allow the other parties to get together to make a new government. Never... If a leader of a party steps down or is forced down as with Samak, then a new leader of the party takes his place.... So either way, an election is needed as you cannot tell me that the yellow shirts forcing Somchai out and we then get a new PM in the form of Abhisit who no-one ahs ever voted for is right... that would be like Abhisit stepping down now and Thaksin is declared the new PM with out an election!...

You're apparent diligence in going back into the archives of Thaivisa is impressive as so many of the events you describe and posters reactions to them were posted months and months before your arrival to Thaivisa membership.

you tried that old chestnut on me also and fell flat on your face, how dare people take the time to read back, or indeed read before they joined the forum, I believe they are called lurkers, at least you didn't patronise this guy and try and claim he knows nothing because he is new to the news clippings forum. maybe in future we should all pm you first to clear our posts to save you the indignity of having to read our uneducated drivel.

:o

Yes, I am British but I do understand the system as we also have had coalitions in the UK too. It is pretty simple. If there is no faith in a government (motion of no confidence in the UK, censure here etc), the government calls an election, it does not allow the other parties to get together to make a new government. Never... If a leader of a party steps down or is forced down as with Samak, then a new leader of the party takes his place.... So either way, an election is needed as you cannot tell me that the yellow shirts forcing Somchai out and we then get a new PM in the form of Abhisit who no-one ahs ever voted for is right... that would be like Abhisit stepping down now and Thaksin is declared the new PM with out an election!...

I think I said that 50 pages ago or so :o Abhisit should have called for new elections right when he became PM. Thaksin was just convicted and his party dissolved. He would have never gotten enough votes and Abhisit would have been the fair politician that gave the nation their voice. Now he's sitting up top and keeps saying "I won't go, I won't go, no matter what happens" live on national television which for Thais feels like they have nothing to say anymore.

As I keep saying, it is not about the personalities here, it is about saving the country from disaster. The ONLY way is an election and then a democratic government whoever wins or whoevers in the coalition.

I don't think you know how a parliamentary democracy works. The present government is an coalition government and they have an majority in the parliament. So the present government is legal, and therefore new elections are nor necessary. In an parliamentary democracy its not uncommon that when a government lost the vote of trust in the parliament( the last Thai government did) a new government is formed by parties who can achieve an new majority. In some democratic countries they have even legislature governments, meaning that they can only have elections after the legislature period of the parliament is finished, so when a government loose a vote of confidence the constitution make it mandatory that a new parliamentary majority is formed who make a new government.

I presume that you are an American or British citizen who are familiar with a 2 party system and therefore not familiar with coalition governments.

I might be wrong, but even if the opposition parties join together (well this doesnt happen, individual politicians would still be members of that party unless they switched parties) the PM would still be PM, what happens is the opposition get enough members to out vote the government on any issues, the government can in fact continue but it would be pointless, at this point they will call an election. this is why its important in the UK to win enough seats to outvote the opposition parties and to make sure your own party politicians toe the line and vote for your side.

If the opposition parties do end up with more votes they still can not form a government, only the party winning most seats at an election can form the government, if the winning party don't have a majority over the opposition parties then its important to form coalitions, however the opposition forming coalitions will still not bring them into power

A yellow shirt PAD supporter burning a red flag and standing on it, while his family is video taping it and cheering, hardly shows a "tide turning".

Have you watched the videos of the Sathorn incident? Just shows that a lot of ordinary folk are fed up with the whole thing. I think that would have happened if they were Yellows too.

....forget it, he has not watched the videos

Don't worry. Everytime someone says their system is rigged, their first reply is "you, stupid foreigner, you don't understand how our system works ..."

Edited by Pierrot

you tried that old chestnut on me also and fell flat on your face, how dare people take the time to read back, or indeed read before they joined the forum, I believe they are called lurkers, at least you didn't patronise this guy and try and claim he knows nothing because he is new to the news clippings forum. maybe in future we should all pm you first to clear our posts to save you the indignity of having to read our uneducated drivel.

my, my.... aren't you touchy... :o

"diligence" and "impressive" are complimentary terms. The extensive type of characterizations he used to summarize people's posts could only be achieved by reading exhaustively through literally hundreds and hundreds of posts over months and months.

Edited by sriracha john

:o

I say old boy, isn't that a rather stupid statement....???? 1st send them for him to read, so he won't have to read them ?????

100 taxis with 500 red-shirted to move to Pattaya - THE NATION - LATEST -

The red-shirted movement will deploy 100 taxis with 500 protesters to join the rally in Pattaya.

Veera Musigawong, a red-shirted leader, recruited 500 men volunteers from the Government House at 6:35 pm to join the rally in Pattaya.

Veera said people in Pattaya attacked the red-shirted people so he would deploy 500 men to protect the protesters there.

>>>>>>>>

Looks like reinforcements are on the way.

I think I said that 50 pages ago or so :o Abhisit should have called for new elections right when he became PM. Thaksin was just convicted and his party dissolved. He would have never gotten enough votes and Abhisit would have been the fair politician that gave the nation their voice. Now he's sitting up top and keeps saying "I won't go, I won't go, no matter what happens" live on national television which for Thais feels like they have nothing to say anymore.

What a short memory. They just had a no confidence debate a few weeks ago and Abhisit and his government won overwhelmingly. Members of Parliament, elected by the people of Thailand, were the one's voting. What is so undemocratic about have the majority of officials, elected by the people of Thailand, choosing to keep the current government?

It's a quarterly event... we last saw him in the News Forum back in December.

Perhaps another shipment of rainman exports is in limbo...? That seemed to be his underlying complaint when the airport was shut down in November/December. Rainman, what gives?

message to Abhisit: Hang in there. The Red Shirts are running out of steam, and will soon dissolve to a few puffs of angst.

Message from Chiang Rai (one of Thaksin's former popularity bases). The Red Shirts have a highly publicized meeting place, in front of Sane Poo Hotel (I jest not). They've set up a stage, ordered hundreds of plastic chairs, and have a large screen TV showing live coverage of the demonstration in Bkk.

Well, the Chiang Rai stage is empty, and about forty seats are set up, with only about ten warmed by Red Shirted butts. A few are blowing plastic horns and thumping toy drums. The remainder of the hundreds of plastic chairs are stacked nearby. Altogether a rather sad state of affairs. In a city with a population of hundreds of thousands, at 5 pm on what's supposed to be the climax of the uprising ..... there are less people at their public meeting than there are at the little teddy bear shop down the street. ....and the few Red Shirts in attendance look bored and sauced.

10_04_1_3.jpg

Thousands of red shirts demonstrate as the ASEAN Summit begins.

The Second Phase of the 14th ASEAN Summit and related Summits has begun at the Royal Cliff Beach Resort Peach Convention Center, however instead of reporting on the first days activities; the news today is dominated by the anti-government red shirt protesters who have converged here in Pattaya. They are fully aware that the ASEAN Summit is being covered by journalists from around the world and it appears they are planning to seize the opportunity and show the World how they plan to force the incumbent Government to be dissolved, forcing fresh elections. The protesters began the day before daybreak at their makeshift base inside Soi Petragoon in North Pattaya, close to the Hollywood Discotheque. A few hours later they began their march towards the Royal Cliff Beach Resort along Pattaya Third Road. Anti-riot police had set up a number of road blocks and also parked Police coaches across the length of the street to prevent the Red Shirt’s from taking their trucks armed with sound systems to the Royal Cliff. It was clear that Police were outnumbered and were only carrying shields, suggesting they were not going to physically engage the protesters should they attempt to break through Police lines. This is exactly what happened and the Police coaches were also forced to withdraw. Police regrouped further down the road; however the red shirts managed to continue towards the Royal Cliff without much resistance. At the time of compiling this report we understand that around 2,000 protesters have reached the entrance to the Royal Cliff and there is now a tense standoff with the final line of defense, members of the Royal Thai Army dressed in full riot gear. A small group has now broken into the Royal Cliff Beach Resort Compound and is demonstrating at the steps of the Peach Convention Center. We are concerned for the safety of tourists and ex-pats residing here in Pattaya and suggest that you avoid the location around the Royal Cliff Beach Resort. We also suggest you do not wear any Yellow or Red colored clothing until the summit has concluded and although many here in Pattaya are frustrated by the protests, we strongly suggest no confrontation with any protester. Despite the protests, the Deputy Prime Minister, Khun Suthep has confirmed the ASEAN Summit will continue, however if the situation escalates any further this could change, especially now that protesters have entered the Royal Cliff Compound.

- Pattaya One News / 2009-04-10

Edited by sriracha john

This is unbelievable. Yesterday, the Reds closed down roads leading to hospitals, stranding patients in the heat for hours and then cited "the need to close the roads in order to open up the avenue of democracy," and then today the majority take off a week to party. It is time for Abhisit to close this circus down.

Round One goes to the government, sort of

By Nophakhun Limsamarnphun

Tulsathit Taptim

A long holiday break may be cited as a key factor, but exactly why the red-shirted campaign seems to be losing monentum fast may have to do with the protesters and their leaders going into overdrive too soon.

Their time is too short and their goal too high, if not ambiguous. It took the People's Alliance for Democracy months to accomplish relatively easier goals, even with direct or indirect help from the military and the courts. But just a few days into its campaign, the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship went for broke despite the fact that one of its key demands had to do with an institution closest to the Thai monarchy.

"They are pushing for a much more difficult goal while having a much lesser time," said PAD leader Suriyasai Katasila. The other DAAD goal is to force government resignation or House dissolution. This is similar to what the PAD tried to achieve in its months-long, sometimes turbulent stand-off with two pro-Thaksin administrations.

Article Continued here - http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/04/10...cs_30100213.php

apparently, there is not enough crisis and job losses right now that they want to destroy what is left...

nice publicity for people planning to come to Thailand : DO NOT COME

first yellow, now red, what is next ?

hope all those cabbies cough up their half day fees (500 baht to rent one) and earn nothing and soon quit

Next is blue, pink, purple, orange, black, or any other color that people wanna wear the next time they want to protest.

Frankly, im bored, I've seen the yellow shirts, the red shirts, Now i realize that the thai police force suck. If they can't stop the protesters from destroying whats left of the thai economy, they should just get out of the way and let the army come in and protect the freedom of all the other thais who just want thailand to be a united peaceful country.

Anti-government protesters retreat

By Supalak Ganjanakhundee

Pattaya

The anti-government protesters agreed to retreat from conventional hall of a hotel which is hosting Asean Summit after handing a letter to Asean leaders.

Their leader, Arisman Phongruangrong, handed over "the letter of demand" to Bara Kuma Palaniappan, a senior official from Asean Secretariat. The protesters said they had no intention to disrupt the meeting but to show thier democratic rights.

Earlier some pro-Thaksin protesters broke into compound of Royal Cliff Beach Hotel which is hosting Asean Summit plus dialogue partner countries in Pattaya, Chon Buri on Friday.

They made a sit-in protest close to stairs of the Conventional Hall which is the meeting venue. Arisamun used megaphone to criticise the Abhisit Government.

Earlier the Asean meeting is besieged by at least 2,000 pro-Thaksin protesters who were at the gate of the hotel and within 200 metres of the convention hall.

Deput Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban was seen heading to see protest leaders in order to negotiate, reporters at the scene said.

However, no negotiation has taken place and Suthep was later seen retreating into the hotel.

Protester leaders later told reporters that they would pave the way for foreign leaders to get in and out of the hotel. The summit begins this evening with a working dinner.

Article Continued Here - http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/04/10...cs_30100171.php

Pattaya Asean protest disperses

Published: 10/04/2009 at 07:07 PM

About 3,000 supporters of the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) who had gathered at the entrance of the Royal Cliff Beach Resort hotel in Pattaya dispersed on Friday evening after handing a letter to a representative of the Asean Secretariat.

They promised to return on Saturday for an even bigger rally.

Ten red-shirts led by former Thai Rak Thai MP Arisman Pongruangrong were allowed to enter the hotel to hand the letter, an explanation of the reasons behind the protest, to the head of the external relations unit of Asean Secretariat, Bala Kumar Palaniappan.

The meeting came after Chonburi governor Surapon Pongtadsirikul went to meet the protesters, who refused to hand their letter to local officials.

Article Continued Here - http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politics/1...letter-to-asean