Int'l Drivers License Required

dswitzer1

When I first got here I rented with my US DL and no one asked anything? I am very confussed about the International D/L issues, it was stated to me that I needed one to get a Thai license when I moved here, and that was not true, just showed them my US license and got a car and motorcycle license no problem.

"it was stated to me that I needed one to get a Thai license when I moved here, and that was not true, just showed them my US license and got a car and motorcycle license no problem."

Wildotes it is true that you should have an int'l licence for the fast track licence ie no testing. but some transport offices are very friendly and understand that if you have a licence from another country you have passed a driving test that is harder than the Thai one.... so all good.

Allan

you probably would never need it, BUT GET THE LICENSE, if something happens, you'll be glad you have it. and when getting a thai license, makes the process so easy, no test involved. besides, takes all of 15 mins of paperwork at AAA, and probably about 20 bucks now, well worth it.

you probably would never need it, BUT GET THE LICENSE, if something happens, you'll be glad you have it. and when getting a thai license, makes the process so easy, no test involved. besides, takes all of 15 mins of paperwork at AAA, and probably about 20 bucks now, well worth it.

$15, including airmail postage from the AAA office in the U.S. back to Thailand. Just got my new one.

Mac

I will be arriving in Thailand in late May with a 90 day visa to be converted to a retirement visa. I am doing exactly what you are recommending. Last week I got my IDL, and as you said (and as has been my experience in the past) it took all of 15 minutes. So, I will come armed with both my Va DL and the IDL.

Thanks for the feedback -- sine I am just there for 3 weeks - I should be fine. At worst I get no rental and take buses or hire a driver around Chang Mai.

Thanks again.

If you're near a AAA office, just zip on in there and you walk right out with it. They can even take the pictures there for about $8 or $9 on top of the $15 for the permit. It's a paper booklet and techically is only valid along with your license, not by itself.

The reason you would want one is in case you are stopped by the police. Although compared to $15, the bribe for them to let you go might be less.

I will be arriving in Thailand in late May with a 90 day visa to be converted to a retirement visa. I am doing exactly what you are recommending. Last week I got my IDL, and as you said (and as has been my experience in the past) it took all of 15 minutes. So, I will come armed with both my Va DL and the IDL.

you will need a Non "O" immigrant visa to get a retirement visa... a 90 day tourist visa won't work...

Can anyone get a Thai licence or do have to hold a particular visa, eg retirement? I stay 3 - 6 months using a double entry visa. Can I get a licence? I always take my international licence just to cover the travel insurance.

Can anyone get a Thai licence or do have to hold a particular visa, eg retirement? I stay 3 - 6 months using a double entry visa. Can I get a licence? I always take my international licence just to cover the travel insurance.

You need a non-immigrant visa (any class) so no, a double entry tourist won't do :o

you will need a Non "O" immigrant visa to get a retirement visa... a 90 day tourist visa won't work...

Note that Thailand does not recognize "International driving license".

You must have IDP "International driving permit".

"International driving license", you can get on the internet and is not worth the paper that it's printed on.

Coming from the US with a valid US license -- do I need an int'l DL to rent a car or scooter in Thailand?

No.

IDL is a certificate of the original license in English. Since yours is already in English, no need. Probably 50 car rentals and never been asked for one (I have Australian national DL).

3 weeks ago, my wife changed her expiring Thai driving license for a new one asked for IDL, the officer said - no need any more - this new license is in 2 languages (indeed it is, in both Thai and English).

IDL is needed for non-English licenses (as Thai used to be) : Japanese, Korean, Russian...

"International driving license", you can get on the internet and is not worth the paper that it's printed on.

The IDP "International driving permit" is what the Automobile Association of American (AAA) sells for $10. There is no test that you need to take to get it, all you need to do is show them a copy of your US State drivers license, give them a photo plus $10 and you have an IDP valid for one year. I suppose that the utility of it must be that it free foreign authorities from needing known what an Oklahoma drivers' license looks like. In practice, when I've rented a car in Thailand before they didn't want to see an IDP, they just wanted to make sure that I had a pulse and a credit card.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Actually, you are correct! Good that you pointed that out.

Coming from the US with a valid US license -- do I need an int'l DL to rent a car or scooter in Thailand?

No.

IDL is a certificate of the original license in English. Since yours is already in English, no need. Probably 50 car rentals and never been asked for one (I have Australian national DL).

On the other hand, I have been asked for the IDP several times in Thailand by Avis...although not always.

They have not always wanted my American drivers license.

[

The IDP "International driving permit" is what the Automobile Association of American (AAA) sells for $10.

There is no test that you need to take to get it, all you need to do is show them a copy of your US State drivers license, give them a photo plus $10 and you have an IDP valid for one year. I suppose that the utility of it must be that it free foreign authorities from needing known what an Oklahoma drivers' license looks like. In practice, when I've rented a car in Thailand before they didn't want to see an IDP, they just wanted to make sure that I had a pulse and a credit card.

As mentioned earlier, the cost is $15, which includes air mail postage if you're in Thailand, and elsewhere I suppose. Allow two weeks for round trip if you're mailing in the application, and check.

Mac

Rent, no problem.

Accident, problem mak mak.

Why even bother to get full insurance when the company will refuse to pay because you didn't have IDP or Thai driving license.

You have some experiences with that?

If it comes to coverage, I can't imagine not having the IDL is the same as not having a DL at all.

A Russian (my Japanese DL is in Japanese only) or someone like that could have produced a library membership card saying - that's our driving licence. Rentacar rents them a vehicle.

Then, accident and shits.

That's what IDLs are for, to certify (in English) that the renter (driver) is licenced.

If it is already in English, why you need a IDL?

Dug it out to have a look, and yes it is called a 'permit'. Valid in 172 States of the world. I handed it to a BIB and GF was asked if I was from China. It was the only language he could recognise out of the seven it was printed in. Nii hao ya bloody drongo :o