Photos Trapped In A Cd

saneroad

I have some CDs, about 4-5 years old, with hundreds of photos on them. I'm now unable to open and retrieve the files.

Stupidly, I don't seem to have saved these photos elsewhere.

I've heard that it might be possible to get the files off the CDs with special equipment or software, or by using the services of someone who knows how to do it.

Anyone have suggestions on where I could find such a service in Phuket?

Try copying the files to your HDD.

Select one and right click, where you should find an option, "Open with......"

I suggest opening with your web browser, IE, Firefox, woteva.

Browsers are usually able to open most popular formats.

I did that when I had a problem with some 10 y/o, 2½" floppies, it worked.

The OP hasnt said whether Windows (or whatever operating system he is uing) is actually recognising the CDs when placed in the drive or not

My guess is the latter, so trying to copy anything on is a non starter

To the op:

Have you tried them in a DVD player that comes photo support?

The latest ones do. Then at least you will be able to view them

Penkoprod

Some general recommendations:

- First of all; Use the (windows) program IsoBuster (http://www.isobuster.com/isobusterdownload.php) to make a CD backup image of the disks to your hard drive to ensure what ever data that might be there wont be further damaged.

- Try on many different computer systems and drives from different manufacturers.

- Try on some of the older, slower drives, TEAC and Pinnacle used to do very reliable CD-Readers/Writers.

- If you are able to open and browse the disks but unable to open the pictures (for example get a Cyclic Redundancy error), again try to use IsoBuster, it is built for these situations.

- If you can find one of the previously mentioned cleaning/repair kits, try that.

- If there are big visible scratches and you have given up on all other options, you might try to polish the surface with a soft clean sheep fur polishing disc and a power drill. Be prepared to loose it all.

Sunlight and some chemicals may damage the actual optical layer the data is written to on the disk, you will see this as transparant patches or spots if you hold the disk up to the light. Not good if you find that this is the case, but still worth a try with the above methods.

Good luck!

BBP

Thanks all for the suggestions. Will check them out!

Tried on 2 computers and both times the CD just whirrs around but nothing happens. When you click on the CD drive, it says there's nothing in there. It might be in really bad shape, but will keep trying!

Qus. 'saneroad'

Did you when you made the CD's "close the CD for any computer to view" ? if not then you have to go back to the original software to view the CD and then back them up on a Hard Disc/Drive as mentioned above. Happend to me only once, l got the drift after that. :o (Close the disk for any computer to read)

BTW what software did you use when you burned the CDs?

You could try this, posted it in our 'Photography and the Arts' forum.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Rescued-Dele...os-t232956.html

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

Gee Kan Win, nice to see I am not alone in not finishing a CD, even the, sic: famous, have been in the club.......hahaha

I was soooo peeesed orf trying to show my stuff on my home theatre.

"Did you finalise the disk?" I was asked.

"Wozzat,?" says I.

Grrrrrrrrrrr........

Neva again.........lol

Edit:

Just wondering, if OP is able to transfer the files to his HDD and is able to open them, he could be in business.

The coding on the CD would NOT be there to stop the individual files from being opened.

Just block and drag the files individually to a folder.

That clear as mud?

DO NOT COPY....... block and drag.

Edited by Zpete

Gee Kan Win, nice to see I am not alone in not finishing a CD, even the, sic: famous, have been in the club.......hahaha

I was soooo peeesed orf trying to show my stuff on my home theatre.

"Did you finalise the disk?" I was asked.

"Wozzat,?" says I.

Grrrrrrrrrrr........

Neva again.........lol

Edit:

Just wondering, if OP is able to transfer the files to his HDD and is able to open them, he could be in business.

The coding on the CD would NOT be there to stop the individual files from being opened.

Just block and drag the files individually to a folder.

That clear as mud?

DO NOT COPY....... block and drag.

As the OP has already stated his computer is not recognising the discs, he isnt able to do ANYTHING with the discs, computer wise.

Whether that be copy them, move them...........ANYTHING

Penkoprod

For what it's worth, I've found that most of my old CD's won't open after sitting around for a few months - even if they've never been used since burning. I wouldn't recommend saving any valuable data on CDR's, DVD's are much more stable.... Sorry this doesn't help, it's just my experience.