Immigration Office In Jomtien Closed Until 16th!

patsfangr

Today was the day I was to submit my application for 1-year extension of my Visa. I drove to the Jomtien office, arriving just before 8 AM, only to find a sign on the closed gate stating that the office would be CLOSED until April 16th! There's no explanation, although this is clearly due to the combination of the ASEAN Conference and the invasion of the Reds from BKK.

WONDERFUL! So now I have to run the Songkran gauntlet, and face a crowd of historic proportion on the 16th!

I hope that other members, who may live closer to the Immigration Office than I do (Darkside), will keep an eye on this, and let us know of any change.

Today was the day I was to submit my application for 1-year extension of my Visa. I drove to the Jomtien office, arriving just before 8 AM, only to find a sign on the closed gate stating that the office would be CLOSED until April 16th! There's no explanation, although this is clearly due to the combination of the ASEAN Conference and the invasion of the Reds from BKK.

WONDERFUL! So now I have to run the Songkran gauntlet, and face a crowd of historic proportion on the 16th!

I hope that other members, who may live closer to the Immigration Office than I do (Darkside), will keep an eye on this, and let us know of any change.

The reason why the Immigration office is closed today is that the Prime minister has declared today a government holiday. He made the anouncement live on TV last night.

Barry

I called the Immigration Office (038 - 252 -751, for those who don't have that number). They confirmed that they will be closed THROUGH the 15th; and will OPEN on the 16th.

This clearly is not a 1-day government holiday. It is definitely in response to the Red Shirts activity.

WHAT A WEEK in Pattaya! ASEAN Conference, with it's required security; plus the Red Shirt protesters likely causing great disruption; plus 7000 US Navy and Marine personnel in town on liberty (if American officers don't decide to cancel it due to the "atmosphere").

Time to button up, and settle in for some TV watching ... if the rain doesn't knock out your satellite, and/or electricity.

WHAT A COUNTRY!

This clearly is not a 1-day government holiday. It is definitely in response to the Red Shirts activity.

Not clear on what you are implying. 13, 14, and 15 are public holidays known a year in advance and nothing to do with the political arena, only the additional one is.

The Songkran closure is an annual event, the additional day closure clearly due to Asean or the Red shirts. My annual renewal falls on the 15th April but I always renew 2-3 weeks early to avoid these dates. Also gives time to get it right if they move the goalposts! I think you can renew up to 1 month before the renewal date - doesn't help you this year but worth remembering for the future.

The Songkran closure is an annual event, the additional day closure clearly due to Asean or the Red shirts. My annual renewal falls on the 15th April but I always renew 2-3 weeks early to avoid these dates. Also gives time to get it right if they move the goalposts! I think you can renew up to 1 month before the renewal date - doesn't help you this year but worth remembering for the future.

Yes, I've learned that the hard way this year. I hope they won't give me a hard time about being 6 days late on April 16.

In any case, I've changed my calendar reminder to April 1 - April Fool's Day seems totally appropriate!

Well I submitted my annual retirement extension of stay yesterday and went to immigration in Jomtien at 1pm today and collected my passport, the office wa open and appeared to be doing business as there were people around filling out forms.

I went to the immigration office yesterday (Friday) at 3pm to do my 90 day reporting, all was open, virtually no one there, in and out in minutes, even had time to have a chat with Barry Kenyon from the British Office.

I always do my extension about 1 month before the old one expires. I have heard others doing it before then as well.

So unless you have left it to the last minute, you have nothing to worry about.

I understand there is an official website where you can apply on-line and just go in for the interview. Saw it on the wall, last time I was there. Tried to Google the address, but only get rubbish.

So will they be open on Thursday 16th, or is the extra two days of Songkran holiday going to keep them shut? Anybody know?

Apparently the Phuket Gazette has said that Immigration will be open as normal there and in Phuket tomorrow and Friday. What about Pattaya?

TiT...... I'm suprised at anyone really expecting this place to gear up for work again till Monday 20th.

I went this morning, as I had been told to do when I showed up there on the 10th, my original VISA expiration date.

THEY ARE CLOSED UNTIL THE 20TH. The guy who is usually there to distribute service tickets in the morning was at the front door. He politely and pleasantly explained that the closure has been extended; and assured me that there would be no problem for me due being technically 10 days late in requesting my extension.

No problem for me. My wife had heard of the extension on a BANGKOK radio station last night. I chose not to take a chance, and drove there this morning. No Songkran water/powder action going on yet on my side of Sukhumvit, or going down Thepprasit to the Immigration Office. So now, I will remain safe, dry, and powder free inside the walls of my home until April 20. :-)

I went on the 11th.

Visa ran out on the 13th and was flying on the 14th.

When I got there a note on the gate said it was closed, but the doorman was outside.

He said it was closed, I explained I needed an extension, a lady came outside and told me for 1 day there would be no problem at the airport and I wouldnt have to pay anything.

Anyway the immigration at the airport picked me out and said i'd overstayed.

I explained what had happened at Jomtien and he directed me to the visa desk behind.

They stamped me up for the 14th and sent me on my way.Didnt pay.

THEY ARE CLOSED UNTIL THE 20TH. The guy who is usually there to distribute service tickets in the morning was at the front door. He politely and pleasantly explained that the closure has been extended; and assured me that there would be no problem for me due being technically 10 days late in requesting my extension.

No problem for me. My wife had heard of the extension on a BANGKOK radio station last night. I chose not to take a chance, and drove there this morning. No Songkran water/powder action going on yet on my side of Sukhumvit, or going down Thepprasit to the Immigration Office. So now, I will remain safe, dry, and powder free inside the walls of my home until April 20. :-)

Warning of Wet Conditions

To my knowledge, 20th is Songkran day in Jomtien.

It was Naklua on 18th, today (19th) in Pattaya, and traditionally Jomtien is the following day.

Ignore my post. I had my facts wrong. 20th is RAYONG Songkran day

Warning of Wet Conditions

To my knowledge, 20th is Songkran day in Jomtien.

It was Naklua on 18th, today (19th) in Pattaya, and traditionally Jomtien is the following day.

Ignore my post. I had my facts wrong. 20th is RAYONG Songkran day

PS. Admin: Why is there no EDIT button on my post, which was posted 2 hours ago ????????