Thailand Live Friday 11 October 2024

3. 174

Why do retirees marry in Thailand ?

4. 73

Foreign Tour Operators Flood Phuket, Taking Jobs from Locals

5. 2

Afghan Man charged with Election day terror plot

6. 1

Double-Ten Retailer Promotions: 10-10 is a Chinese Holiday. So, why is this big DEAL here?

7. 0

93-Year-Old Woman Crawls into Sakae Krang River & is Missing While Daughter Sleeps

8. 25

Pattaya Police Raid Poker Gambling Ring, Arrest 9 Foreign Players

9. 25

Pattaya Police Raid Poker Gambling Ring, Arrest 9 Foreign Players

10. 2

Former Aussie cop’s epic run across Thailand for tsunami victims

11. 7

Thailand triumphs in UN Human Rights council bid

12. 2

Donald Trump’s New Tax Promise: Eliminating Income Taxes for Americans Abroad

Computer Silly As Well.

sillybilly

Have always wanted to buy a laptop but never known why. :D Took a walk into the local Tesco last night and saw that they had some starting from about 15000 baht but I cant remember what the specs was however this morning I took a walk into IT city and saw they also had a laptop for about the same price.

Can anybody tell a computer silly person what he should look for when buying one and perhaps what type of price he should be paying?? Even where the best place to buy one from is... :o

All I would be using it for is some chatting, office work, maybe the daughter might use it for surfing the internet with her school work and listening to some music or watching a couple dvds. Not into game playing or anything that high tech.

If you are using it at home only there is no reason for a notebook. A desktop is much more ergonomic, economic and gives much greater chance to modify upgrade or repair than a notebookl

Edited by harrry

Have always wanted to buy a laptop but never known why. :D Took a walk into the local Tesco last night and saw that they had some starting from about 15000 baht but I cant remember what the specs was however this morning I took a walk into IT city and saw they also had a laptop for about the same price.

Can anybody tell a computer silly person what he should look for when buying one and perhaps what type of price he should be paying?? Even where the best place to buy one from is... :o

All I would be using it for is some chatting, office work, maybe the daughter might use it for surfing the internet with her school work and listening to some music or watching a couple dvds. Not into game playing or anything that high tech.

Hard to answer helpfully based in the info given but . . .

Chatting: If you mean voice chat then you'll probably need a handset or headset to plug into the computer this will give better sound quality than any built in microphone and speaker combo that the laptop may or may not have.

Office work: From your post I'm guessing you mean Word documents so make sure that Microsoft Office is installed, consider using OpenOffice instead (it's good to get away from Microsoft for so many reasons.

Surfing the internet: this depends on how you intend to connect to the internet, make sure the laptop is WiFi capable if you intend to go wireless (I don't think many machines come without this these days but check to be sure). Do consider using Firefox as your browser instead of Internet Explorer.

Music: Laptop speakers in the price range that you are talking about will not give good music, get some headphones, the quality will still be mediocre unless you up the budget to account for a decent soundcard/speakers

DVD watching: Just make sure the the disk drive is a DVD drive.

It's an idea to set a budget and then look for the highest speed CPU combined with the highest capacity RAM available within that budget. Buying outside of Thailand can also offer better value for money but may present support issues.

If you have no need to be mobile with this computer then you will get much better value, better sound quality and better picture quality for your money with a desktop machine.

Also consider having Linux instead of Windows as your operating system, this will get you away from the evils and inefficiencies of Microsoft. If you do go for Windows I would recommend avoiding Windows Vista and getting Windows XP based only on feedback that I have heard and read, not on any experience.

The Essentials of Buying a Laptop and Accessories may be a useful place to go and do some reading.

Finally, there is an "Internet, computers, communication, technology in Thailand" forum here where you will probably find more experienced and informed opinions on the subject.

JxP

If you are not purchasing a computer to carry around with you to business meetings, etc., then by all means get a desktop computer. For a specific recommendation I would say Good Speed. They have offices all over but their main office is in Icon Plaza. I don't think anyone else can beat their price - maybe I'm wrong, and they will deliver and install your machine for free. They also offer unlimited free repairs. IT's prices are much higher.

^Yes, you will get many votes for Good Speed, I've not heard a bad word about them.

JxP

Many have had good experiences there and they are probably a decent place to purchase a notebook but..

I had a desktop custom-built for my stepson a year ago and I will not be returning to Good Speed, at least the location at Computer Plaza. A young guy at GS offered to load a bunch of games on the system for free and when we got home I ran an anti-virus check; my AVG found over 40 viruses and trojans before it finally gave up and when I went to reload WinXP, I found that that what they sold us was not a legal copy. I purchased a legal version somewhere else.

More recently, just a week or so ago, the supposedly in-warranty hard drive failed and I returned the system to them for the warranty replacement. When we geo it back, there was a similar but different drive now in there that had someone else's programs and stuff installed on it and when I ran checkdisk, found that this second-hand drive is also defective.

We checked with GS and they insisted they didn't open the CPU because the original HD was fine, just needed WinXP reinstalled but they lost two of the side panel thumbscrews, left the fan unplugged and the date code on the drive, which I wrote down before handing it over to them, is different. Rather than go through any more hassles, I purchased a new hard drive, somewhere else, the system is working fine now, and I learned another lesson about trust...

If you are not purchasing a computer to carry around with you to business meetings, etc., then by all means get a desktop computer. For a specific recommendation I would say Good Speed. They have offices all over but their main office is in Icon Plaza. I don't think anyone else can beat their price - maybe I'm wrong, and they will deliver and install your machine for free. They also offer unlimited free repairs. IT's prices are much higher.

Good speed provide an excellent service and will build a desktop computer to your desired spec; they also offer good advice and can guide you towards building a computer of a spec to suit your needs. I recommend them to non-techie friends who want to buy a computer and want the support and backup. They are far from the cheapest, however. Fast Speed a few doors away from them (the upstairs one) is more of a "box shifter" that will build you what you tell them at a low price, but offer little support or assistance - they are cheap though!

^Yes, you will get many votes for Good Speed, I've not heard a bad word about them.

JxP

Many have had good experiences there and they are probably a decent place to purchase a notebook but..

I had a desktop custom-built for my stepson a year ago and I will not be returning to Good Speed, at least the location at Computer Plaza. A young guy at GS offered to load a bunch of games on the system for free and when we got home I ran an anti-virus check; my AVG found over 40 viruses and trojans before it finally gave up and when I went to reload WinXP, I found that that what they sold us was not a legal copy. I purchased a legal version somewhere else.

More recently, just a week or so ago, the supposedly in-warranty hard drive failed and I returned the system to them for the warranty replacement. When we geo it back, there was a similar but different drive now in there that had someone else's programs and stuff installed on it and when I ran checkdisk, found that this second-hand drive is also defective.

We checked with GS and they insisted they didn't open the CPU because the original HD was fine, just needed WinXP reinstalled but they lost two of the side panel thumbscrews, left the fan unplugged and the date code on the drive, which I wrote down before handing it over to them, is different. Rather than go through any more hassles, I purchased a new hard drive, somewhere else, the system is working fine now, and I learned another lesson about trust...

Thanks for the heads up Dustoff; I'm disappointed but it is good to be warned. A serious shame that they weren't honest about things.

JxP

JxP

i have never been to Good Speed but they seem to have good reviews from many farangs. I normally buy stuff from D-Dynamite at the IT center on the Superhighway and Changpuek. Always good customer service onsite with DComputer service center right there.

Many issues were always settled there and then.

When buying a computer, tell them you do not want anything on the HDD. If you want a legit copy of Windows, tell them so and ask them to help you install it if you are not that computer savvy.

One golden rule when it comes to HDD and some other main computer parts is to always go back to the main distributor and their service center. For eg: many HDD are warranted and distributed by Synnex which has its center somewhere on the moat. Go to them instead and they would replace it for you.

always go back to the main distributor and their service center. For eg: many HDD are warranted and distributed by Synnex which has its center somewhere on the moat. Go to them instead and they would replace it for you.

OEM components (Original Equipment manafacturer) must behandled by the company which built the machine. They assume all guarantee responsibilities however the manafacturer often provides a warrantee which is different to that which applies on the orignal retail product.

Most built computers use OEM components as they are considerably cheaper than retail boxed products.

While Synnexx may be helpful and go beyone their remit in replacing products they have no responsibility to do so.

Also with Operating systems many people do not realize that with OEM software the manafacturer is not responsible for any support only the person whoinstalled the software. OEM software is also locked to the machine it is installed on and cannot be transferred to any other machine which is the reason for the considerable price difference.

Edited by harrry

always go back to the main distributor and their service center. For eg: many HDD are warranted and distributed by Synnex which has its center somewhere on the moat. Go to them instead and they would replace it for you.

OEM components (Original Equipment manafacturer) must behandled by the company which built the machine. They assume all guarantee responsibilities however the manafacturer often provides a warrantee which is different to that which applies on the orignal product.

Most built computers use OEM components as they are considerably cheaper than retail boxed products.

While Synnexx may be helpful and go beyone their remit in replacing products they have no responsibility to do so.

Also with Operating systems many people do not realize that with OEM software the manafacturer is not responsible for any support only the person whoinstalled the software. OEM doftware is also locked to the machine it is installed on and cannot be transferred to any other machine.

I have bought many components and many desktops in Chiang Mai, none of them being OEM. I really don't know where most people buy their stuff but I always buy boxed components and at many times, the installation is done on my own and have labels indicating the distributor of these products within Thailand.

OEM components and software are mostly found in "branded" desktop systems such as those sold in Carrefour, Makro etc etc.

Any compoment you get without the full retail packaging is almost certainly OEM. If you go int the store that sells your desktop you will see their drives come in static proof bags not cardboard packaging with full documents. The system builder market is a large market for manafacturers probably as large as the major built machine people.

You will often find that the motherboard is full retail but the sound card memory hard drive and other components are OEM. CPUs are generally retail for most of the smaller system builders.

If you do not have the full retaiil packaging for all the parts of your system you almost certainly have oem products....not that there is anything wrong with that as the pricing reflects that.

quote from wikipedia topic OEM

Beside referring to manufacturers, OEM can be used as an adjective to describe software licensed only for a particular system. OEM software is purchased alongside a system or hardware parts. OEM software is often cheaper than the full versions but not as cheap as academic or student editions.

OEM hardware is hardware packaged for computer administrator and builder use. These products are normally plain boxed and often don't come with any instructions or references provided in retail packages. Technical support for such "OEM products" is usually the responsibility of the reseller, rather than of the manufacturer. OEM hardware is also called bulk hardware.

end quote

Edited by harrry

~

All quite correct harrry, which is why I returned our custom-built system to Good Speed for warranty replacement of the hard drive. When I was doing diagnostics/repair and building custom PC's, I purchased bulk OEM equipment like HD's, power supplies, and a few other items but avoided things that change so quickly like motherboards and such. Altho I was an Original Equipment Manufacturer, I tried to stay away from OEM software because being the primary support person is a nuisance so I used retail software except for customers who really had to pinch pennies.

This is getting away from the OP's intent however. I think purchasing a laptop at most any well-established shop is safe enough but it is worth studying up on what features will best suit one's particular needs and usage. I am almost ready for a new laptop but will wait until I make a trip back to the States to make my purchase as I will have a much wider range of choices, more ability to order whatever extras I want and much better prices.

And computer makers who now have factories in Thailand are NOT providing the same quality equipment that you will find in the Western world. Just like purchasing a computer in the U.S. at Costco or Walmart or any other discount store, it is NOT the same! Whenever I took in a computer for repair, I could tell immediately just by the serial number if the system was purchased at a discount store and I would often refuse to take the job. You cannot turn a computer with low quality components inside into a reliable machine and you would be AMAZED at the long list of famous computer manufacturers who are selling 'same model number' trash through discount outlets - and developing nations are a boon market for manufacturers because, due to the lack of oversight, they can get away with stuffing the box with lower grade components.

Edited by Dustoff

Any compoment you get without the full retail packaging is almost certainly OEM. If you go int the store that sells your desktop you will see their drives come in static proof bags not cardboard packaging with full documents. The system builder market is a large market for manafacturers probably as large as the major built machine people.

You will often find that the motherboard is full retail but the sound card memory hard drive and other components are OEM. CPUs are generally retail for most of the smaller system builders.

If you do not have the full retaiil packaging for all the parts of your system you almost certainly have oem products....not that there is anything wrong with that as the pricing reflects that.

quote from wikipedia topic OEM

Beside referring to manufacturers, OEM can be used as an adjective to describe software licensed only for a particular system. OEM software is purchased alongside a system or hardware parts. OEM software is often cheaper than the full versions but not as cheap as academic or student editions.

OEM hardware is hardware packaged for computer administrator and builder use. These products are normally plain boxed and often don't come with any instructions or references provided in retail packages. Technical support for such "OEM products" is usually the responsibility of the reseller, rather than of the manufacturer. OEM hardware is also called bulk hardware.

end quote

then the only OEM hardware that I do purchase is probably the HDD. and maybe the power supply? Can't think of anything else. Even then the HDD is warranted by the distributor and is manufactured with quality control from people like Seagate and is easily replaced if faulty.

In my experience it pays to learn yourself.

All the info you need is readily available online and there is a multitude of easy to read tutorials with detailed pictures on how to put together your own system...

...in fact, just here on Thaivisa there are enough knowledgeable computer builders who will help you out if you want to build your own system. This is what I did and I don't regret any of the time I spent doing so.

All the info you need is readily available online and there is a multitude of easy to read tutorials with detailed pictures on how to put together your own system...

...in fact, just here on Thaivisa there are enough knowledgeable computer builders who will help you out if you want to build your own system. This is what I did and I don't regret any of the time I spent doing so.

An excellent response, S&M..

I seriously considered the same thing but without my stock of misc parts, I thought that coming up with little things like drive mounting screws, motherboard standoffs, cables and cords, et al. could be a real chore. I am, in fact, just now trying to install a second SATA drive and while IT City sells the drives, they do not sell the data and power cables so I am off to Pantip today to look around.

If ANYONE knows of a place to find all those little/necessary parts and stuff for building or upgrading computers, I would VERY much appreciate hearing about it...

An excellent response, S&M..

I seriously considered the same thing but without my stock of misc parts, I thought that coming up with little things like drive mounting screws, motherboard standoffs, cables and cords, et al. could be a real chore. I am, in fact, just now trying to install a second SATA drive and while IT City sells the drives, they do not sell the data and power cables so I am off to Pantip today to look around.

If ANYONE knows of a place to find all those little/necessary parts and stuff for building or upgrading computers, I would VERY much appreciate hearing about it...

The cheapest i have found around town is at D-Dynamite First, second floor, IT center at the Mae Rim Intersection on the Super Highway. Upstairs, on the right and on the right again. 2,100 for a 500 Gb SATA HDD and this was about 3 weeks ago.

IT City is a reliable place to buy a laptop and their prices are competitive. They threw in a free bag, mouse, and USB drive when I bought one a couple weeks ago. Here are a few things to think about.

Screen Size: I've always gone for big 17" laptops but I just bought my wife a 12" and love the size. If you're planning to be mobile with your laptop, consider a screen size of 12"-14" to stay light weight.

RAM (Memory): If you buy a computer with Microsoft Vista installed, make sure it's upgradeable to 4MB. 2 just doesn't cut it with Vista and an upgrade from 2 to 4 should only be an extra 1,000 baht or so.

Webcam: For chatting and your daughter's use, make sure you get a laptop with a webcam build into it. It's actually hard to find one without a webcam nowadays.

Processor: I'd stick with a laptop that has an Intel processor. When faced with a choice of whether to get a 2.2 Ghz or a 2.4 Ghz processor, go for the cheaper laptop. You won't notice any difference.

Brand: Your main options in Thailand are HP (Compaq), Sony, and Acer. Sony is too expensive for what you want to do and Acer seems to be the lower quality brand. HP has a nice model out right now called CQ20 or CQ40. Check those out. I just bought my wife the CQ20 and we are very pleased with it. 3rd floor of the Central Plaza Mall has an IT City and an HP shop to price compare.