Police Volunteers Again !

arachne

The wife and I are in Pattaya at the moment we came from sleepy Hua Hin for the holiday....These FPV's are creepy and after wathcing the YouTube link I think they are way out of hand and I think somthing has to be done about them . What about in the courts in Bkk ? There has to be more proof that they are way out of line out there...I get sick when I think about these losers.....most likley tried to be cops at home but couldnt...What do these a--clowns do in the daytime??? It must take a certain type of supercreep to want to do this anyway.....Also there is always a larger amount of Shore Patrol around when the Navy is on Leave there are also lots of unmarked observers...IF they do get out of line they can be in a ton of trouble and the Navy will handle the offence as if it took place in the U.S. ....But the way the They followed these FPV's made me want to retch.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those guys on walking street who walk around like they are something special call themselves "Translators" .... Can any of them actually speak any fluent Thai?

An 'Ex' friend of mine used to be one of those Volunteers. He could not speak or understand a word of Thai yet he was allowed to stroll down walking street in one of those stupid 'uniforms'??

"Translators" ?

Don't make me laugh.... :o:D :D More like a bunch of wannabe's walking down walking street with their chest pumped up, stubborn looking faces, trying to look something special.

You gotta remember what "creepy" you tube star Howard Miller does for his day job. By doing what he does with the police volunteers it gets him in the know about what is happening and gives him access to important people. He denies this of course, but it is as plain as the nose on your face. Secondly he is of course on a power trip, and his actions in this video are pathetic. He'll be the first one with a camera in someones face who has been set up by the people he volunteers for as they make thier high visibility arrest. Yet when someone films him, they are stopped? Talk about double standards. But then again, I guess this sort of behaviour sits nicely in Thai culture. One rule for me and one rule for everyone else.

BTW The Thai police were called as good as useless today on the BBC News here in the UK by the ex UK Ambassador to Thailand.

Edited by wcr

Its good the volenteers are giving the boys the benifit of their experience. The know all the best girls, from their undercover work.

I thought that they had more inside information on the ladyboys, they seem to be in their company a fair bit. :o

I have to wonder about this <snip>, he loves plastering pictures of unfortunate dead farangs and thais on his media outlets but doesn't seem to like having a vid of him taken. A vid on youtube sees him trying to stop a guy (with the help of a FPV out of uniform) taking a video on walking street, he accuses the guy of taking the video of taking it "covertly" why would he be worried about this, has he something to hide :o

Youtube Video link

Did anyone else notice that this video was focussing most of its attention on just the ONE FPV??

Tallish, gangly dopey looking &lt;deleted&gt;, with a hunched back and stooped gait?

Could be the 2IC next to Spudhead himself

Penkoprod

Gents,

I remember a time before volunteer police, US navy anchoring with Midway just off the beach, sailors spending lots and lots of money in the bars on beer and not like now in 7/11 on water, the real funny thing was, lots of fun had by ALL, shock, horror, absolutely no trouble, so sorry guys the argument that the US navy needs HM & co really just does not wear to us oldies.............

Yes Matt, I remember those days as well.

However, recently we had a 6-hour state-of-emergency as the country tries to avoid civil war. This plus the effects of the global recession in a depressed high season with unemployment in a city full of low-life's and criminals of all races and a huge yaabaa problem. I can't recall all this happening in the 'good old days' either. If the American military, local government and police agree that some assistance may be of benefit through teaming the volunteers up with shore patrol, who are we to argue?

That was then, this is now.

You gotta remember what "creepy" you tube star Howard Miller does for his day job. By doing what he does with the police volunteers it gets him in the know about what is happening and gives him access to important people. He denies this of course, but it is as plain as the nose on your face. Secondly he is of course on a power trip, and his actions in this video are pathetic. He'll be the first one with a camera in someones face who has been set up by the people he volunteers for as they make thier high visibility arrest. Yet when someone films him, they are stopped? Talk about double standards. But then again, I guess this sort of behaviour sits nicely in Thai culture. One rule for me and one rule for everyone else.

BTW The Thai police were called as good as useless today on the BBC News here in the UK by the ex UK Ambassador to Thailand.

So, come clean now. Are you actually saying that Howard is a pr*ck?

Not very nice, is it?

Pherhaps Howard who we know reads the posts on ThaiVisa can elighten us as to exactly what powers his MIB do have her in Pattaya, last week on my way home in the early hours I stopped off at the 7-11 at the top of Soi Khao Noi when a drunk farang on a motorbike was pulled over by a very tall and physically intimidating tourist police volunteer who manhandeled him off the bike and told him to sit on the floor, he then got on his radio and a minute later a Thai guy also dressed in a volounteer uniform turned up, at this point I drove off so didn't see what happened next, maybe they are extorting money from Farangs, and if not and are they on official bussiness, do the MIB have the power to stop and detain people as I thought they were just translators , I would like to know the answer, becuase if one of these Pr***s ever try to pull me over using force will he be assualting me and I will be entitled to use force back, or does he have the law on his side, please reply Howard as we really would like to know the answer to this question.

The TP FV's do get involved in things. They watchout for flower sellers and move them on, stop the shoe shine boys and anything else thier Thai masters ask them to do. I know this as a few years ago I went down WS several times with HM whilst he was on duty as I was considering joining them and I wanted to see exactly what they do. They do also help out farang who are lost or have had money stolen etc. Frankly the work was pretty boring most of the time, just walking down the street or sitting at the police van. There was one farang volunteer who spoke fluent Thai and he was useful.

I decided not to join them as I was quite concerned about most of them and why they were there. To my knowledge one was an ex Military Policeman, none of the others had police experience apart from Howard who told me he had been a police volunteer (special) in the UK, however he later denied this on this forum.

The question to whether they have the law on thier side is easily answered. No. However I was told that if I did get involved in something that I was not to worry as the police would always back you up and get you out of any situation as I was there supporting and helping them. Another reason not to join IMHO.

I'm curious why the United States Military needs extra or special protection, or help, while in Pattaya?

The Shore Patrol (or what ever they are called now) are to keep the sailors (marines, etc) in order.

The "Shore Patrol" were actual navy personnel, both enlisted and officers. This stuff going on now is oddball and very unofficial and poorly documented.

We often hear that the volunteers (both groups) assist with translations - but I've never heard any of them speak a word Thai. The few times I've overheard them speak to Thais it has usually been in the usual "pidgin English". How many of them actually speak Thai with a reasonable fluency? I guess a handful at most ...

Phil you seem just like the kind of guy I want to recruit for my IPCC(Independent Police Complaints Commitee)please see my thread and PM me if your interested. P.S. you get to wear a hat!

Edited by dee123

... at this point I drove off so didn't see what happened next, ...

So that you could go home and type nonsense and conjecture... how convenient for you.

Maybe, just maybe the WHOLE scenario you wrote about was ALL anecdotal?

... This stuff going on now is oddball and very unofficial and poorly documented.

What particular part of the of the US Embassy, US military and local government and police sanctioning this 'partnership' do you still have problems accepting? Would a personal phone call or email suffice or do you want policing policy publicly posted on this forum? Last time I noticed, the Special Constables in the UK don't need to keep the local chatterboxes satisfied with how they are enlisted and how they integrate with the police forces.

Once again, you can always go direct to the horses mouth at the top-end of WS most week nights and ask then personally. However, that would be too easy and then there would be buggerall to whine about (pause for another re-post of the Youtube 'harrassment' clip).

Here's a thought. If you sign up and become a volunteer, you will know EVERYTHING!

Can any one ever answer what procedure of character screening is put in place for the FPV.

The two I have known both had "history" that would have any reputable organization serving the public running a mile from them.

I ask this question on every FTP thread and surprisingly the normally fast to respond FTP posters never answer.

Can any one ever answer what procedure of character screening is put in place for the FPV.

The two I have known both had "history" that would have any reputable organization serving the public running a mile from them.

I ask this question on every FTP thread and surprisingly the normally fast to respond FTP posters never answer.

ASK A (VOLUNTEER) POLICEMAN!!!

Edited by NanLaew

NanLaew. I thought that's exactly what he was doing, so why don't you answer. You SEEM to know so much.

Also aren't they Translaters or are they IN FACT policemen.

No they are stuck up wannabees that could be a force for help and guidance to the problems that tourists have in Pattaya if they acknowledged what their role should be and dressed accordingly.

The main problem is that they would actually do more good if they got into a classroom with the Thai Police and taught them English so that they the Thai police could do the work themselves BUT i have got to think that they the volunteers are incapable of this task.

So that you could go home and type nonsense and conjecture... how convenient for you.

I actually have better things to do than make up posts .....what do you mean convenient for me? , I notice that Howard Miller can reply pretty quickly when someone attacks his TV programme, pherhaps he is too busy at the moment gretting another free lunch somewhere around town to answer the question, I might just take a trip down walking street and ask him face to face, last time I was down there at Christmas he and his MIB were doing a nice job handing out leaflets to tourists telling them to be safe whilst twenty metres away a Thai tried to pick my pocket, don't bother replying NanLaew as I am sure you will accuse me of making that up as well.

I'll answer that for you as I went through the process. This may have changed now as when I looked at the TPV it was about 4 years ago. Basically I went to see the police captain. He asked me about myself. I then got sent out to see what the role was like (at my request) with Howard. I did this for a couple of weeks before I decided it was not for me. If I wanted to proceed I believe I had to fill out an application form and then have some sort of induction. I know that they did start running training days for wannabe TPV headed up by the head honcho HM. I am an ex-police officer of 16 years in the UK and I took information in to back this up when I saw the captain but he wasn't interested in any of that, and happy to take my word of my experience.

The FPV's who are based in Pattaya Police Station is different don't forget. That is Niels Colovs Kingdom. There again you need to fill out an application form. You are then buddied up with a team leader and after a couple of shifts get put with 2 experienced people for a couple of weeks before going onto the regular rosta. I did join the FPV's as I felt more comfortable sitting in the police station at a clearly marked desk and really helping out both tourists and expats who had to go to the police station for some reason. Some of the people I came accross in the FPV's had been police officers or in the military in thier own countries, but most had not.

I hope that goes some way to explaining? But the background checking is very limited from what I saw.

Edited by wcr

I was in the lift in View Talay 2B when this Mr-Burns-from-the Simpsons meets Men-In-Black farang gets in (on the 4th floor I think), loads of tackle clanking from his belt. He then did a self-conscious cowboy imitation walk across the motorbike park and mounts his trusty steed.

A red Honda Wave.

I almost pissed myself as I wheelied past him on my ER6-N.

You could just follow him around with a video camera, he doesnt seem to like them.....You will catch him abusing what little authority he has in no time much like the YouTube video. I am sure they are not supposed to identify themselves as police officers....Then get a petition going and when just about everybody and there brother and sister sign it go to the city council......If the tourist police need tranlslator voulunteers then that would be ok as long as they have identification that marks them as translators...and they stay stationary...If this were the case a whole diffrent type of person would be volunteering......

NanLaew. I thought that's exactly what he was doing, so why don't you answer. You SEEM to know so much.

Also aren't they Translaters or are they IN FACT policemen.

No they are stuck up wannabees that could be a force for help and guidance to the problems that tourists have in Pattaya if they acknowledged what their role should be and dressed accordingly.

The main problem is that they would actually do more good if they got into a classroom with the Thai Police and taught them English so that they the Thai police could do the work themselves BUT i have got to think that they the volunteers are incapable of this task.

I didn't know buggerall about what these guys do so I went to WS a couple of times and chatted with them. Now I know more than most posting tripe here.

I actually have better things to do than make up posts .....what do you mean convenient for me?

My point was you saw something happening and admit to not sticking around to see the final outcome but decided to embellish your post with some accusation that maybe the volunteers are shaking down drunk farangs.

The thing these two posts have in common is they pretend to relate an actual event or pretend to frame a legitimate question. However, both times either they chose to make up the ending to the story or just answer their own question with whatever negative opinion has been already formed.

As I suggested above, if you want answers, go ask them yourself. Or does their black garb make you pee your pants before you get within 100 yards?

I have to wonder about this <snip>, he loves plastering pictures of unfortunate dead farangs and thais on his media outlets but doesn't seem to like having a vid of him taken. A vid on youtube sees him trying to stop a guy (with the help of a FPV out of uniform) taking a video on walking street, he accuses the guy of taking the video of taking it "covertly" why would he be worried about this, has he something to hide :o

Youtube Video link

Dang, the &lt;deleted&gt; that gave us grief on a rare night out into town has a name! hahaha I'll have to make sure my husband sees this video.

This wanna be copper actually tried to START trouble with my husband. Seems Mr. Miller, who was walking in front of us took great offence when he heard my husband explain to his friend (who was here on holidays) that they were just wanna-be-coppers after our friend asked who these foreigners dressed up as police were. Miller immediately turned around and started ranting and raving and calling him all sorts of things. The fact that he was getting right into our personal space made ME want to knock some sense into the loser, but my husband just told him to "F#$* OFF W#$%@!" and we just walked away.

<snip>

Edited by soundman
Removed multiple flames.

chakatee,

Those sailors and Marines could take over Thailand in a 3 day weekend and probably your country as well in little more. The US Navy's ability to project military supremacy anywhere in the world is what separates them from everyone else in the world. Work hard, play hard. Welcome to Pattaya, boys!!