Lamphun - Chiang Mai Highway Blocked By Protesters

george

Thai TV Channel 11 is now reporting that protesters has blocked the Lamphun - Chiang Mai highway.

You mean the two-lane hiway they opened from the railway station?

If so, I think it is a good idea to stop people using that 'hiway' at night...

Thai TV Channel 11 is now reporting that protesters has blocked the Lamphun - Chiang Mai highway.

True. That road started dissolving soon after it was completed - first rains I think. But if it's the super, the police or army have to do something. Other than Thaksin committing suicide, i can't see a solution to all this nonsense. :o

Edited by Loaded

True. That road started dissolving soon after it was completed - first rains I think. But if it's the super, the police or army have to do something. Other than Thaksin committing suicide, i can't see a solution to all this nonsense. :D

Exactly, and if it is the Super hiway being blockaded, the police would be most likely to re-route traffic to the two-lane hiway :o

Why has this thread had 6 replies but number of views shows 0?

Due to the heavy traffic because of current events some features have been disabled to keep the servers ahead. The counters will show correctly after being re-enabled.

I think it is weird how you all hate the red shirts so much, but they haven't done anything close to as stupid as the yellows when they shut down the airport and basically had tourists hostage inside.

Give em time...

I think it is weird how you all hate the red shirts so much, but they haven't done anything close to as stupid as the yellows when they shut down the airport and basically had tourists hostage inside.

Give em time...

I can' even believe you are saying this ....so what the red shorts are doing now is ok by you....? Because they haven't YET taken over the airport and all transportation means...? hel_l....I don't care what color the bloody shirts are ....all I know is that all they are doing...(Red, Yellow, blue, Purple ...whatever!!) Is disrupt lives carelessly and cause economic disaster to an eeconomy that is already on the verge of collapsing .....This is just the push over the fence to total disaster and possibly civil war at this point .....It's a total deadlock either way and will end up badly ....there is no visible optimistic outcome at this point ...How dreadful ....Yup , I know ...I am ........ :o

Sure.. Though as I'm sure you've seen in many placed around the world, change doesn't come about without at least some sacrifice. Don't forget this is rooted in the Thai system of giving the rural poor a very poor deal; they never shared in the wealth / economic boom that you're now so worried about seeing reduced. Easy for us to say to just let things be..

Highway 11 was cut yesterday and last night just to the east of Lampang, outside the Salaklang. The police were receiving a lot of praise from the protesters for their courteous and sympathetic handling of the situation.

I haven't checked the situation yet today.

Give em time...

I can' even believe you are saying this ....so what the red shorts are doing now is ok by you....? Because they haven't YET taken over the airport and all transportation means...? hel_l....I don't care what color the bloody shirts are ....all I know is that all they are doing...(Red, Yellow, blue, Purple ...whatever!!) Is disrupt lives carelessly and cause economic disaster to an eeconomy that is already on the verge of collapsing .....This is just the push over the fence to total disaster and possibly civil war at this point .....It's a total deadlock either way and will end up badly ....there is no visible optimistic outcome at this point ...How dreadful ....Yup , I know ...I am ........ :o

Any chance of keeping this thread (and any others to come) to factual content and practical considerations relating to Chiang Mai ? Plenty of opportunity to sound off pro/con any of the "sides" over in News Clippings.

Hmm, so violent attacks on government cars & personnel, blocking hospitals, using incendiary devices etc etc is not stupid. These people are rent-a-mob who will continue to trash this country so long as the criminal Thaksin continues to pull their strings & pay them THB1000 per day. Get real, this is close to civil war and it will start in :o:D Chiang Mai in a couple of days.

Hmm, so violent attacks on government cars & personnel, blocking hospitals, using incendiary devices etc etc is not stupid. These people are rent-a-mob who will continue to trash this country so long as the criminal Thaksin continues to pull their strings & pay them THB1000 per day. Get real, this is close to civil war and it will start in :o:D Chiang Mai in a couple of days.

Newbie for more than one reason, I think...

Blockades are still in place in Lampang but the police have signposted detours.

It would be helpful if all could heed the advice from Steve2UK.

13:00 Monday 13th: Friends trying to get to Chiang Mai from Lampang firstly turned back due to the Super Highway being blocked - so backtracked and tried the Lamphun "back road" - but that is blocked as well.

13:00 Monday 13th: Friends trying to get to Chiang Mai from Lampang firstly turned back due to the Super Highway being blocked - so backtracked and tried the Lamphun "back road" - but that is blocked as well.

Do you know if that means the blockades are between Lamphun and Chiangmai or further south?

The trains are running.

I don't think anything is going on at the moment. Havent heard of anything. The authorities have however managed to detour a lot of traffic towards other roads/highways. Everyone headed to Chiang Mai were able to get in through these detours yesterday. I hope things are not as bad today.

Muang Chiang Mai is however having a blast with alcohol, parties and water guns at the moment. Had a good drive through town around 1pm today.

Do you know if that means the blockades are between Lamphun and Chiangmai or further south?

The trains are running.

come to think of it, this is when one of those GPS devices can come in super handy on alternative routes. :o

As of 3:30pm, the road to Lampang on Hwy 11 is still closed at the Lamphun turn off. They are directing traffic to alternate roads. The "back road with tall trees" (Hwy 106) to Lamphun from Chiang Mai is open and full of water fun.

I didn't mean to get a fun picture with police but the second I pulled out a camera they stopped traffic and waved me over for a group shot. sanook sanook. :o

post-55680-1239612801_thumb.jpg

post-55680-1239612812_thumb.jpg

Edited by mnbcm

I saw a couple of trucks with (dry) Red Shirts on the highway and followed them out to city hall where there's a rather sparse gathering sitting around in front of the main building listening to a relay of speeches from BKK. A small number of police and a few water cannon vehicles were in attendance but it was all quiet about an hour ago when I left.

511532817_PYqtf-L.jpg

I saw a couple of trucks with (dry) Red Shirts on the highway and followed them out to city hall where there's a rather sparse gathering sitting around in front of the main building listening to a relay of speeches from BKK. A small number of police and a few water cannon vehicles were in attendance but it was all quiet about an hour ago when I left.

511532817_PYqtf-L.jpg

looks all quiet there. perhaps 90% of those supposed to be there are drunk and having a good time in the streets of chiang mai !

What's actually 'super' about that poor concrete highway ? Never understood that name...

It's only super when you compare it to the other roads. :o

If a group of protesters were to block any highway or airport in North America they would all be in the pokey for a night and receive a big fine the next day. If they didn't pay the fine they would be in jail much longer. We allow protesting, but don't allow civil disobedience.

But, I still say it all started when the yellow shirts were successful in closing the airport. It gave the red shirts an open pass to blockade anything they want.