Safe To Travel To Bangkok?

doczenith83

I'm in Kyrgyzstan now and I have a mad itch to get out for a while. I was all set to go to Thailand and now this. I appreciate people checking in right now, please keep it up.

I'll watch this site closely, and maybe come a week later if things calm down.

Please clue in the clueless...why exactly would they block the airport?

Its safe as long as you aren't a "fan room" Khaosan road tourist running around Bangkok with a camera like you are on some kind of National Geographic assignment. And you have the common sense to avoid any problem areas.

Edited by CrossBones

Its safe as long as you aren't a "fan room" Khaosan road tourist running around Bangkok with a camera like you are on some kind of National Geographic assignment. And you have the common sense to avoid any problem areas.

Minister of Foreign Affairs, Stephen Smith has just been on the ABC news in Australia, warning all Australians both expats and tourists to stay indoors whilst in Bangkok at the present time with the current escalating violence.

http://www.abc.net.au

Register your details at: smartravellor.gov.au to receive travel alerts.

Keep up the good work Thaivisa, and stay safe everybody.

I'm in Kyrgyzstan now and I have a mad itch to get out for a while. I was all set to go to Thailand and now this. I appreciate people checking in right now, please keep it up.

If you were part of a group of protestors hel_l bent on getting what you wanted, wouldn't you block the airport? Leverage.....

Edited by doczenith83

If you were part of a group of protestors hel_l bent on getting what you wanted, wouldn't you block the airport? Leverage.....

Agreed... They start off blocking the road and if they still dont get what they want, they would do something bigger.. Block the airport. But seriously, what kind of thinking is that?. At the end of the day, the country as a whole is the one who is loosing because of tourism is going down. Tourism being one of the major industry in thailand will suffer. In the end, the people (Thai) will suffer.

I suppose that makes sense, lol. I don't think like a protestor hel_l bent on getting what I want, so it's hard to reconcile.

Well looks like all the rumble and ruckus is calming down in Bangkok once again! I obviously don't know the entire truth of what happened and who is really the bad guy, but finally a PM who has received cooperation from the military in restoring order to Bangkok. This is how things SHOULD have been handled last year during the airport shutdown!

Anyways... I will surely be going now! :o

Safe to travel Bangkok... Yes, YEs and YES !

Yes, 2 people killed in 2 days of rioting - The whole world is watching and cancelling their holidays

Over 200 dead on the roads over Songkran ! - No one knows except Thais and farang living here ! nothing on the BBC or CNN

TiT :o

Earlier today, before it ended, I booked a hotel using Agoda. Not instant booking so I expected about a day turnaround as usually happens. Went to my email account to check that the request had been received and my voucher had been issued within a matter of minutes. I think a fair amount of folks cancelled plans.

Yeah, we might be cancelling. My wife and I are supposed to fly out to BKK on 4/14 so we're wondering whether to go or cancel. I guess we'll keep watching what's going on and hope for the best. Sure would suck to get to Tokyo only to find out all flights to BKK are canceled. I realize no one knows what's going to happen next but any updates or advice from those who are in BKK now are greatly appreciated.

Get to Tokyo, and if all the flights to BKK are cancelled, get a flight to Malaysia...a "real" country, cheaper in many respects than Thailand, just as beautiful, same weather, with none of this b/s! ....I am sorry to say given that this is a "thai" forum....I love Thailand, I have many Thai friends, but this is pathetic...

Edited by sunsetlover

Yeah, we might be cancelling. My wife and I are supposed to fly out to BKK on 4/14 so we're wondering whether to go or cancel. I guess we'll keep watching what's going on and hope for the best. Sure would suck to get to Tokyo only to find out all flights to BKK are canceled. I realize no one knows what's going to happen next but any updates or advice from those who are in BKK now are greatly appreciated.

Get to Tokyo, and if all the flights to BKK are cancelled, get a flight to Malaysia...a "real" country, cheaper in many respects than Thailand, just as beautiful, same weather, with none of this b/s! ....I am sorry to say given that this is a "thai" forum....I love Thailand, I have many Thai friends, but this is pathetic...

This post is insane

Just get to Tokyo then take a different flight to a different country that you have planned and booked for? Yeah cus everyone would do that !

Malaysia "real" <deleted> does that mean???

Cheaper than Thailand in many respects? name something then!

Many Thai friends ! Yeah right - how many ?

No flights have been cancelled the airport has not been affected at all - this incident was isolated to a few areas, I live in Bangkok and have carried on as normal going out for drinks and food and have not seen anything.

Come on over and enjoy Thailand - listen and read the posts of people who are here now! not the ramblings of someone living vicariously through the internet

Safe to travel Bangkok... Yes, YEs and YES !

Yes, 2 people killed in 2 days of rioting - The whole world is watching and cancelling their holidays

Over 200 dead on the roads over Songkran ! - No one knows except Thais and farang living here ! nothing on the BBC or CNN

TiT :o

Wow if 200 people have died from drunk driving and other accidents over Songkran and only 2 have died from the political chaos, I would say things have been quite successful government side! Woooo hooo Thailand here I come!