Safe To Travel To Bangkok?

doczenith83

Hi guys!

This may have already been posted somewhere, but I can't seem to properly figure out how to get the search function working.

So I'll give this a shoot....

I've booked my flight to Bangkok, as well as hotels about two months back, before all this started happening. I didn't expect the political situation to get this bad, which is why I waited until the last minute. My flight is this coming Thursday. Initially I will be taking a taxi straight to Hua Hin for 3 days and will then be in Bangkok for 5 days. I'm just wondering if it will be safe to still have a good time in Bangkok.... All the areas I usually visit I listed in the topic description. I lived in Hua Hin during the 2006 coup, I was studying there at the time and also was in Bangkok shortly after the airport reopened last year... I always felt safe even though the media exploded what actually was happening. When I am reading the news, I make sure to get my information from a variety of sources as well as this forum and to be honest, I feel like the media is making this look worse than it really is.

Current protests and last years protests always seem to have taken place in certain areas, away from most touristy places.... So whats your call??

I can't get any of my money back from my bookings as I've passed the time for me to be able to do that, I'm just wondering if you guys think I should still go or recommend that I stay home and throw out a 1000 and couple 100 of bucks??

Regards,

Martin

I can't get any of my money back from my bookings as I've passed the time for me to be able to do that, I'm just wondering if you guys think I should still go or recommend that I stay home and throw out a 1000 and couple 100 of bucks??

Regards,

Martin

My guess is that you should be quite safe. The plane will not fly to BNK of it isnt safe to do so. Of course it may be wise to have the resources to change your plans on where you go and what you do at short notice. It is always a good idea though to be able to do this anyway.

Regards,

Martin

My guess is that you should be quite safe. The plane will not fly to BNK of it isnt safe to do so. Of course it may be wise to have the resources to change your plans on where you go and what you do at short notice. It is always a good idea though to be able to do this anyway.

I got stuck in taxi for 2 hrs while the red shirts blocked the streets. Today I saw street fighting in Bangkok. The yellow shirts should be out soon--maybe they will occupy the airport again so all farangs cannot leave. Pattaya is safe now except for the Russian mafia and swarms of Russian prostitutes who the Thai girls hate. At least you will have an exciting time here. That is what you are coming for is it not.

Regards,

Martin

I got stuck in taxi for 2 hrs while the red shirts blocked the streets. Today I saw street fighting in Bangkok. The yellow shirts should be out soon--maybe they will occupy the airport again so all farangs cannot leave. Pattaya is safe now except for the Russian mafia and swarms of Russian prostitutes who the Thai girls hate. At least you will have an exciting time here. That is what you are coming for is it not.

Hahah... Im not coming for the lady fun, but hey no objections to anyone who wants to! I just have a lot of friends in Thailand from when I was studying there.

You seriously think the PAD will hit the streets again... and why would they occupy the airport this time.... If they hit the streets, I'd imagine there aim would be to hurt the UDD... I dont see how blocking the airport will do that.... but anyways, lets hope all that doesnt happen.

How should we know what the future holds? It could get worse it could get better.

Yes i know none of you can read the future, but many of you are so immersed in this topic, live in Thailand, keep up to date on these things so much that a lot of you maybe have an idea or a hunch of what could happen....

I dont deny that if could get worse..... shame..

How should we know what the future holds? It could get worse it could get better.

Yes i know none of you can read the future, but many of you are so immersed in this topic, live in Thailand, keep up to date on these things so much that a lot of you maybe have an idea or a hunch of what could happen....

I dont deny that if could get worse..... shame..

news in england are advising to steer clear of parts of bangkok and pattaya.so what little tourists there was left travelling will soon start panicing.cancelations even less tourists.great for thailand!!

Yeah, we might be cancelling. My wife and I are supposed to fly out to BKK on 4/14 so we're wondering whether to go or cancel. I guess we'll keep watching what's going on and hope for the best. Sure would suck to get to Tokyo only to find out all flights to BKK are canceled. I realize no one knows what's going to happen next but any updates or advice from those who are in BKK now are greatly appreciated.

Edited by btvbill

I don't think anyone knows what is going to happen is my honest opinion but if I had to bet I would bet worse. I did not feel that way just 12 hours ago which shows how fast things are evolving. Just remember if things get bad enough that you want to leave, it will probably be impossible to do so, so some preemptive planning is needed.

The bangkok traffic is a lot more dangerous than these demonstrations...

Booked my tickets and will not change my plans ..

Last time I landed a few hours after Suvarnabhumi had re-opened -- :o

I did too, but the EVA flight dep 5 mins later flew to U Tapao :D

I arrive this Friday and only civil war will keep me out.

I don't think anyone knows what is going to happen is my honest opinion but if I had to bet I would bet worse. I did not feel that way just 12 hours ago which shows how fast things are evolving. Just remember if things get bad enough that you want to leave, it will probably be impossible to do so, so some preemptive planning is needed.

Sure may get worse , a dozen or so reds shot perhaps but nothing much worse.

The real problems will start later , not now .

Remember that the much beloved and respected HRH is old and frail.

Speaking only of my own personal experience in Bangkok on Sunday (April 12)......mid-afternoon, walked on Sukhumvit from Asoke BTS station to Chidlom BTS station......roughly 20 minutes or so of walking. No water shot, thrown, or poured on me.....no sign of any politically motivated people causing unrest......just a lot of sunshine, and fairly busy foot traffic in Central Chidlom Department Store. That said, the full on water fun in the Sukhumvit area starts on Monday (I think), and the civil unrest / protests might have been going on further along Sukhumvit.

I hope that helps!

CHEERS!

D

Hi guys!

This may have already been posted somewhere, but I can't seem to properly figure out how to get the search function working.

I've booked my flight to Bangkok, as well as hotels about two months back, before all this started happening. I didn't expect the political situation to get this bad, which is why I waited until the last minute. My flight is this coming Thursday. Initially I will be taking a taxi straight to Hua Hin for 3 days and will then be in Bangkok for 5 days. I'm just wondering if it will be safe to still have a good time in Bangkok.... All the areas I usually visit I listed in the topic description. I lived in Hua Hin during the 2006 coup, I was studying there at the time and also was in Bangkok shortly after the airport reopened last year... I always felt safe even though the media exploded what actually was happening. When I am reading the news, I make sure to get my information from a variety of sources as well as this forum and to be honest, I feel like the media is making this look worse than it really

Current protests and last years protests always seem to have taken place in certain areas, away from most touristy places.... So whats your call??

Regards,

Martin

Hello my friend if I were you I will not change the trip. Do not go around the protest areas and avoid the crowds. you will be safe. The Medias are selling news ands papers. Someone is making money. I urge you use your Common Sense. Then you will have the best time in Thailand. Good luck and enjoy your holiday..My opinion.

As of noon time on Monday, there's a lot of protest activity going on in BKK again, and reports of some scattered shootings of troops and demonstrators at protest sites. Reports of lots of intersections blocked by either protestors or troops, particularly in the areas around major government locations.

Today, Siam Paragon and a number of the Central Department store complexes (but not all) announced they will remain closed thru Wednesday. No reports of anything occurring with the airport.

That said, most of BKK seems relatively quiet, with many folks out of town for Song Kran...

BKK's a big city, and nothing much happening at all in the lower mid Sukhumvit touristy areas.

But, things are fluid and unpredictable...

Be a good boy scout and have a plan b, then you will be fine.

Instead of bkk why not try Chiang Mai, full on Songkran party up here right now, the red shirts had a rally the other day, but no problem now, seems like they all went to Bangkok

Ta Ta

Richard

Chiang Mai

I think most of you guys are right.... I think I will most likely continue my flight to Thailand, unless something extremely serious happens in the next 2 to 3 days.

I think a back up plan will be put into effect... shame because i really love Bangkok... :o

To even make this posting indicates that you're coming despite what's going on. It's a waste of time to even respond to this and I'm only doing it to chastise you for it. If you know that there are tanks in the streets with people protesting and things getting more and more violent and major intersections blocked and the possibility that the red lunatics will next try to seize the airport with they increasingly violent means they have already exhibited, and you're still considering coming, then nothing anybody will write will change your mind.

Welcome to the land of smiles. Bring condoms

Hi guys!

I've booked my flight to Bangkok, as well as hotels about two months back, before all this started happening. I didn't expect the political situation to get this bad, which is why I waited until the last minute. My flight is this coming Thursday. Initially I will be taking a taxi straight to Hua Hin for 3 days and will then be in Bangkok for 5 days. I'm just wondering if it will be safe to still have a good time in Bangkok.... All the areas I usually visit I listed in the topic description. I lived in Hua Hin during the 2006 coup, I was studying there at the time and also was in Bangkok shortly after the airport reopened last year... I always felt safe even though the media exploded what actually was happening. When I am reading the news, I make sure to get my information from a variety of sources as well as this forum and to be honest, I feel like the media is making this look worse than it really is.

Regards,

Martin

My guess is that you should be quite safe. The plane will not fly to BNK of it isnt safe to do so.

Are you implying that it was NOT safe when the Yellow PAD took over the airports? No plane fly in or out of Bangkok for 8 days.

I would suggest not to come. Please listen to your country advise.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/as...pm-1668008.html

Edited by samgrowth

No problems, apart from the ordinary, around Nana and Chidlom....

Skytrain and MRT have been running, though the Victory Monument area has had its problems today.

Siam Paragon and various Central Department stores, including Chidlom, closed thru Wednesday.

Taxis and buses are running, but in some areas, they are being used to block streets by protestors.

Thick smoke seen at Victory Monument

At 13.30pm, thick smoke was spotted at the Victory Monument.

Red-shirted protesters reportedly set tire rubbers on fire just opposite the Rajvithi Hospital and some protesters also drove a car over a fiberglass police statue near the monument. Police also asked people to get out of the pedestrian bridges around the monument but the skytrain station was not closed yet.

The Nation, Monday afternoon

You seriously think the PAD will hit the streets again...

There was a report in the Bangkok Post just now quoting the PAD as sating that they will be out again if the government cannot handle the situation.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/14...-to-join-mayhem

Red vs Yellow street fighting would certainly make for an unforgettable holiday ... and there is of course a very real chance that the airport, or access to it, will be blocked by one side or the other. Looking at the mayhem so far, why wouldn't they block the airport?

No problems, apart from the ordinary, around Nana and Chidlom....

Skytrain and MRT have been running, though the Victory Monument area has had its problems today.

Siam Paragon and various Central Department stores, including Chidlom, closed thru Wednesday.

Taxis and buses are running, but in some areas, they are being used to block streets by protestors.

Thanks for that

colino

Hey guys,

I will be going to Bangkok on Friday next week. I hope things will get better by then. Appreciate all posting on the latest happening...

I feel the same way. I will be arriving in Bangkok from the USA in ten days, hopefully things will be a little calmer by then.