How Do Beaches In Hua Hin Compare

nicholasmerwood

In a word they don't ! The beaches in HH are no way near the beaches further south. They suffer from LOTS of jelly fish, no snorkelling and in HH you also have horses running up and down the beach, or did haven't been for a few months. The water does not clear up till around Bang sapan. The beaches of Samui and Phuket are going downhill fast. Plus they are some of the most expensive places in LOS to live. It all depends on what you need from where you live ? Some very nice beaches and places to live south of HH but they have very few farang and no tesco lotus or starbucks etc. :o

Really need to go Pranburi or Prachuap Kiri Khan for the better beaches...Pranburi has a Lotus and Makro so no worry about shopping....logistically placed much better than both Phuket and Samui and far better value plus you will have a holiday in Thailand not a mini majorca/benidorm such as Samui/Phuket....you can bus/taxi/train rather than being at the mercy of Bangkok airways and their 6,000 baht flight to samui....and not to mention 500 baht taxi from the airport for a 2 mile ride....forget the south, it is way overpriced, and especially now with the strong baht is essentially expensive....do a quick google search for Prachuap/Pranburi and you will be suprised and if you go will definatly have a far vbetter/cheaper time tahn samui/Phuket

I agree with pat...after living in both Phuket and samui I can assure that Hua Hin is a far better place than either of them. Samui is a mass of burger king,pizza hut,starbucks...may well be london with sun...phuket is the same but more expensive than samui. Yes hua Hin has a bit of the west but is still essentially a quaint fishing town with fantastic beaches only 20 minutes to the south..If you live there you will be much happier than samui or Phuket....I like because only 2 hours from central BKK and 200 baht...Phuket or samui is 12/14 hours and much more expensive, especially samui...we used to have to pay almost 11,000 baht return with taxis to BKK when we lived there...flights are a bit cheaper but still will cost 8,000 baht return by plane....Hua Hin has everything....not sure of sand flies???

Never mind the horse poop on Hua Hin town beach, its not the best beach. The best beach is just 5km south of town.

Military property with public access and food but no hawkers, no horses, no jetskis allowed.

Beaches are nicer on Samui IMO but Samui has been raped by development and Phuket is Miami wit Thai food.

Hua Hin by far the nicer town.

Edited by johnnyk

Looking for somewhere to come live in Thailand. Never been to Hua Hin before. I need decent beaches where I will stay. How do they compare to Phuket and Samui?

I assume they are obviouslly cleaner but are they as swimmable?

Yes, its swimmable. Better than Samui & Phuket? Not where I was. You should also check into Cha-am. It is right next to Hua Hin. Cha-am is quieter, more open spaced, and lower priced. One concern I have are the snakes there. While motoring around I saw at least a dozen bright 5-6 foot green snakes crossing the road. These snakes dont lay on the ground when they crawl, their heads are up in the air like cobras.

Anybody know if they are poisonous? :o

RT

Poisonous snakes in Thailand are fairly easily recognized. Many varieties have two legs, skin can be white or brown.

Yes, and be careful, there's no anti-venom for the 2 legged variety... :o

Being a newbie, I'm unsure of this 2 legged snake that lurks around Hua Hin that everyone is referring to. Are they the unscrupulous HH real estate developers?

Looking for somewhere to come live in Thailand. Never been to Hua Hin before. I need decent beaches where I will stay. How do they compare to Phuket and Samui?

Yes, its swimmable. Better than Samui & Phuket? Not where I was. You should also check into Cha-am. It is right next to Hua Hin. Cha-am is quieter, more open spaced, and lower priced. One concern I have are the snakes there. While motoring around I saw at least a dozen bright 5-6 foot green snakes crossing the road. These snakes dont lay on the ground when they crawl, their heads are up in the air like cobras.

Anybody know if they are poisonous? :o

RT

After years of living inboth Phuket and Samui and never seeing a snake, Cha am I can see have seen so many of the above, first time was on the wall outide our front door and the Mrs jumped on the table in shock saying they can kill......to me I thought it was a harmless grass snake....also had scorpians in the house and those dam_n giant centipeeds which again can make you swell

cleaner than Phuket and Samui, no way. the beach in Hua Hin is pretty disgusting but Cha-am is a bit nicer. both have a nice green slime layer from the horse poop. also the water is dirty and there's nothing to see under water anyhow.

however I kind of like Cha-am and would consider living there, it certainly has the advantage of location to BKK and lower cost than Phuket and Samui. one thing to remember, its very dry there. if you like deserts, that's fine, if you like tropical, not so fine. personally, I wouldn't consider HH for a second, over developed and too 'farangy'.

Edited by stevehaigh

Poisonous snakes in Thailand are fairly easily recognized. Many varieties have two legs, skin can be white or brown.

Yes, and be careful, there's no anti-venom for the 2 legged variety... :o

Being a newbie, I'm unsure of this 2 legged snake that lurks around Hua Hin that everyone is referring to. Are they the unscrupulous HH real estate developers?

They are found in all regions of Thailand and many have a tendency to gather in or around bars.

They can be chameleon-like in their appearance, often adopting some of the characteristics of a best friend, lover or business associate. BUT they can often be detected by a whiff of bullshit so it is recommended to keep the <deleted> detector switch in the on position.

cleaner than Phuket and Samui, no way. the beach in Hua Hin is pretty disgusting HH beach not the best, best is the other side of Khao Takiab but Cha-am is a bit nicer. both have a nice green slime layer from the horse poop hyperbole. also the water is dirty and there's nothing to see under water anyhow.

however I kind of like Cha-am and would consider living there, it certainly has the advantage of location to BKK and lower cost than Phuket and Samui. one thing to remember, its very dry there. if you like deserts, A bit OTT, don't you think? that's fine, if you like tropical, not so fine. personally, I wouldn't consider HH for a second, over developed Some prefer Samui and its pristine, undeveloped quality and too 'farangy'. Certainly not 'farang' like Koh Phangan and its 'farangy' full moon parties. Very Thai, they are.

cleaner than Phuket and Samui, no way. the beach in Hua Hin is pretty disgusting but Cha-am is a bit nicer. both have a nice green slime layer from the horse poop. also the water is dirty and there's nothing to see under water anyhow.

however I kind of like Cha-am and would consider living there, it certainly has the advantage of location to BKK and lower cost than Phuket and Samui. one thing to remember, its very dry there. if you like deserts, that's fine, if you like tropical, not so fine. personally, I wouldn't consider HH for a second, over developed and too 'farangy'.

Phuket and Samui not too farangy but Hua Hin is :o ...Patpong , Karon, Chaweng and Lamai really are a taste of Thailand with all the girlie bars and Macdonalds Starbucks etc :D like a desert :D .I suppose the amount of rain and floods is Samui constantly are a tourist attraction, great after a twelve hour flight that you have to walk through 3 feet of water to get to your hotel because the taxi cant drive there...yeah...think I prefer the desert.....