Best Beach In Phuket

Marksamui

I really want some input about the best beach in Phuket.

We are a small family and so I really want a beach which is not very busy, I don't need sunloungers everywhere, but somewhere where we can get some space and the water is nice and shallow. Have a car so location is not an option.

If not on the man island what about the surrounding islands? How easy are they to get to and where/how would you get to some? Can I just get a fishing boat/taxi out to one, from which beach would you depart and which island would be worth going to?

Any input welcome. Just want some nice space on the beach where the kids can play and not have to run around sun loungers or get hit by jetskies like on Patong (which is an awful beach....)

I've always loved Nai Hairn beach.

Granted, this time of year you do have a couple rows of sunloungers, but generally there is a lot of empty sand between the loungers and the water, so your kids can goof off up there.

Medium busy beach.

last may i spent a few sunny days on surin beach. there were not many people there on those days and the water should be fine. there is space to park your car too.

lot of families like karon beach but i think it might be too crowded for you

nai harn was pretty busy last week still but there is that small lagoon there that is pretty shallow for kids to play and swim

Edited by wtk

We are a small family and so I really want a beach which is not very busy, I don't need sunloungers everywhere, but somewhere where we can get some space and the water is nice and shallow. Have a car so location is not an option.

If not on the man island what about the surrounding islands? How easy are they to get to and where/how would you get to some? Can I just get a fishing boat/taxi out to one, from which beach would you depart and which island would be worth going to?

Any input welcome. Just want some nice space on the beach where the kids can play and not have to run around sun loungers or get hit by jetskies like on Patong (which is an awful beach....)

Kamala beach for sure there's accomadation right on the beach it's now very quiet the waters clean and it will be safe for swimming. When are you coming to Thailand if it's after June many beachers are dangerous rips etc..

Granted, this time of year you do have a couple rows of sunloungers, but generally there is a lot of empty sand between the loungers and the water, so your kids can goof off up there.

Medium busy beach.

I agree with Huggy, it has always been my favorite, good beach high or low season. Has good access for the car as well. Have fun.

Medium busy beach.

I agree with Huggy, it has always been my favorite, good beach high or low season. Has good access for the car as well. Have fun.

If the weather is good on Saturday I will head down there!!

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

For something a little bit different, try Koh Bon, a small island 10 minutes by longtail boat from Rawai beach. There is nothing on the island other than a restaurant at the southern end of the island, which the staff open from 10 am until circa 6 pm (taking all the food/ice etc fresh from the mainland each day). The longtail will cost you 1000 baht, and the driver will wait with you on the island as long as you want at no extra charge. There are some sheltered sections of sand beach, along with some good rock pools for kids to explore. Never very crowded, with a very pleasant English lady (been in Phuket for some 20 years I believe) who runs the restaurant. Some great views from the island, including the monument at the Cape, Big Buddha etc. I've even taken my 2 Golden Retrievers across there a couple of times. Only thing to be aware of is the times of low tide, otherwise you could face a long walk when you return to Rawai. Problem with all of the west coast beaches is that the surf can be quite fierce sometimes, particularly for kids.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Nai Harn on Sunday. Not busy and water was good, but...............the rubbish was terrible..probably to worse beach I have been on for rubbish in Thailand, could not believe it, filthly. Surin beach the day before much nicer, but Nai Harn, one to miss if they don't get it cleaned up....

I went to Nai Harn on Sunday. Not busy and water was good, but...............the rubbish was terrible..probably to worse beach I have been on for rubbish in Thailand, could not believe it, filthly. Surin beach the day before much nicer, but Nai Harn, one to miss if they don't get it cleaned up....

Hi Mark,

this time of year when the wind directions change we get a lot of garbage washing up on many of the beaches, not just Nai Hairn.

It was the same at Kata Beach on Sunday, actually a little worse than Nai Hairn that day.

P.S. no followup on your Hatton insights?

Edited by huggybear

Hi Mark,

this time of year when the wind directions change we get a lot of garbage washing up on many of the beaches, not just Nai Hairn.

It was the same at Kata Beach on Sunday, actually a little worse than Nai Hairn that day.

Yep, Hatton fought the worse possible fight he could have! Pac was great, but Hatton threw any chance he had away with the worse possible tactics ever in a world championship fight.

... Nai Yang near the airport.

Is that still 400 baht/person? (Or did they scrap it?)

Anyway, go further up - Mai Khao or Sai Kaew.

Nay Yang (Sirinat National park areal) is definitely my favorite beach to hang out if I want to avoid the tourist masses.

To get inside the national park area (accessible by car) Foreigners pay 200/100 THB (adult/child) , Thai 25THB. For me well worth it due to the privacy (only during daytime - @night the local thai youth often comes out to party there...) nice coral reef with lots of fish, shade from the pinetrees. I always bring along some camping chairs and a cooler box. Watch the kid play on the beach and airplanes descending to the nearby airport. :)

... Nai Yang near the airport.

Is that still 400 baht/person? (Or did they scrap it?)

Anyway, go further up - Mai Khao or Sai Kaew.

Nay Yang (Sirinat National park areal) is definitely my favorite beach to hang out if I want to avoid the tourist masses.

To get inside the national park area (accessible by car) Foreigners pay 200/100 THB (adult/child) , Thai 25THB. For me well worth it due to the privacy (only during daytime - @night the local thai youth often comes out to party there...) nice coral reef with lots of fish, shade from the pinetrees. I always bring along some camping chairs and a cooler box. Watch the kid play on the beach and airplanes descending to the nearby airport. :D

Thanks for the update. Yes, it's a nice place to go on a Sunday afternoon - very busy, lots of food stalls, lots of kids mucking around in the sea (usually the Thai way - fully clothed :D), and trees to sit under to get some shade, but watch out for the little leaves falling into your beer and birds pooping from high above. :)

Pity about the 200 baht - I was hoping the protesters had managed to keep it at the old price.

Hi Mark,

Hatton threw any chance he had.............

when he took the fight.

That's why I started the therad in the sports forum with "does anyone thing Hatton has a chance"?

NO

sorry for off topic folks, HB

Layan Beach would probably suit, or Nai Yang near the airport.

shush we wana keep Layan quiet, so guys it' horrible, a terrible beach, absolutley don"t go there, awful awful place.

water gets treacherous during low season at Layan, Nai Thon, Nai Yang

Hello 

For me only Naihan beach. because only this beach that i go with my small niece and only this beach can make her feel good with san and small lagun.if you not yet book hotel maybe you will would like to find some Home or condo forrent live like your old home and about fishing you have to go Chalong pier go to Raya island .you will have nice fishing day here.(maybe you will get Marin ) and sorry for my english .:))

have a good holiday in thailand .