Depression Help

georgiablue

hi my friend (falang) has been in phuket for 10 yrs, she is having a complete nervous breakdown and has been callin me and seems losty and depressed,i am trying desperatly to find a phscologist for her in phuket,preferably falang as she needs to be seriously understtod right now,any help on thins would be appreciated,please!\

georgia

Bangkok phuket has a mental ward with signs out front in english about depression, anxiouty, and other mental issues... I am not sure if they have farang staff or just english speaking doctors but its worth a shot.... You could call and find out.

hi my friend (falang) has been in phuket for 10 yrs, she is having a complete nervous breakdown and has been callin me and seems losty and depressed,i am trying desperatly to find a phscologist for her in phuket,preferably falang as she needs to be seriously understtod right now,any help on thins would be appreciated,please!\

georgia

Go to the Mental Health Unit at Bangkok Phuket Hospital - the staff there are helpful, speak good English and the doctors are good. There's a husband and wife team that work there, I forget their names but they're an older couple and really nice. You'll be lucky to find a Farang 'psychologist' working for any of the hospitals, but might be someone retired here or something.

Sorry to hear about your friend, went through the same thing with someone last year - not nice - but do what you can for them.

beatingtheblues is an online program for people suffering from a depression, they get individual help. To participate in the program, you need a referal from a doctor or a psychologist.

Or could she be treated by a psychologist (or whatever) who is based in the west, using skype+webcam? Maybe the best would be a psychologist with an Asian background, who would understand life here better than say a UK based psychologist who has never been further from home than the Canary Islands.

Wishing you strength,

Kees.

Mental Health is a difficult one in Thailand as most of the hospitals are geared up for selling medication.

I would suggest that you enquire of the local christain groups and/or Phuket AA meeting as they are going down the right path and can be very helpfull when there is a genuine need.

georgia

Last night at the monthly IBAP meeting we had a presentation about stress given by representatives of Bangkok Hospital & Phuket International. The Thai psychiatrist from Bangkok Hospital, Dr Surin, was very articulate & clear in her presentation. I later asked her how they determine different types of depression & her answer impressed me enough to recommend her on this forum.