Songkran To Be Extended Until Friday April 17

george

Operation centre seeks extension of Songkran holiday

EDIT: THIS has just now been confirmed by Govt. Spokesman.

BANGKOK: -- State of Emergency Operation Centre will propose to the government to extend Songkran official holiday to be until Friday.

The proposal will facilitate authorities's crackdown on pro-Thaksin protesters which turned riots in the capital since Monday.

The official Songkran holiday of this year is from April 13 to 15 (Wednesday).

-- The Nation 2009-04-16

Follow the Breaking News here:

1. Sign up for Breaking Newsletter by email: http://www.thaivisa.com/353.0.html

2. Download our Toolbar for IE and Firefox: http://toolbar.thaivisa.com

3. Follow the Breaking News on Twitter: http://twitter.com/georgebkk

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Give me a break.......What are they trying to do by extending the already insane holiday longer?? more chaos on the streets, paralizing the already crippled economy even more>>

Hopefully that stupid proposal will only be confined to BKK and let the rest of the country get back to normal.....what ever that is anymore.

Give me a break.......What are they trying to do by extending the already insane holiday longer?? more chaos on the streets, paralizing the already crippled economy even more>>

Hopefully that stupid proposal will only be confined to BKK and let the rest of the country get back to normal.....what ever that is anymore.

Army told that they will put checkpoints to check all the cars coming into Bangkok for weapons, if necessary. So they asked already before that people should not come all at the same time as that might cause terrible traffic jam.

To make the holidays longer might be a reason to avoid that. As some private companies won't care. Others will.

dam_n all my clothes are still wet,oh well save me washing and drying for 2 more days,out i go again. :o

Any update to this? I want to know if I have to go to work or not!

Go ahead and go, take a red yellow blue *AND* your work shirt, you're bound to get paid by someone :o

LOL. Actually, I want to know if I can leave the city early for the weekend, it would be nice to get some kind of holiday out of all this.

Why all the moans and groans about this - TIT things change instantly - So go with the flow and enjoy an extra couple of days holidays, beer, sun, cute girls in wet T-shirts, what more could you ask for.

Speak to your friends back home ask them what they'd prefer beer and sun or work !!

Right I'm off the protesters are going home, I'm gonna go get wet

Enjoy

Why all the moans and groans about this - TIT things change instantly - So go with the flow and enjoy an extra couple of days holidays, beer, sun, cute girls in wet T-shirts, what more could you ask for.

Speak to your friends back home ask them what they'd prefer beer and sun or work !!

Enjoy

Yes, hopefully now everyone can use their waterguns instead of the other type!... Enjoy the last bits of your Songkran Bangkok!

I totally agree with you.

All these donkeys spend too much time on the computer and complaining.

They need to take it easy. After all, it is Songkran and TIT.

Enjoy

I really do not get it here. First you force an extra holiday on employers and banks on Friday, than instead of using riot police you use the army to shoot in full view of hundreds of millions of TV viewers worldwide, killing the tourist industry and discouraging companies from settling or even staying in Thailand. Than you extent that holiday again! great! Who is going to pay for it? Although I understand that something had to be done on the violent protests it seems again that this government has lost the plot completely.

Agree it is stupid, but have to remember the bone idle people here who must be the laziest in the entire world.

Its a great idea to extend Songkran. People buying more beer, water pistols, full employment for hospitals and wats (injuries & funerals) I say the Thai economy will be fully recovered by April 18.

Who says Thailand is not progressive and on the cutting edge? :o

agh dam_n it, the bank did not transfer my funds on time they told me till thursday on phone, now friday too? what if someone's life was in danger!! -*- really great move by these guys.... excellent -*-

Edited by James3212

There has not been any announcement of new Holidays that I am aware of; and I seriously doubt there will be.

In any case banks would probably be exempt - as there were last Friday.

Edited by lopburi3

agh dam_n it, the stupid bank did not transfer my funds on time they told me till thursday on phone, now friday too? what if someone life was in danger!! -*- really great move by these guys.... excellent -*-

Than you would have done Western Union or Express transfer.

I think still possible to do Western Union.

I agree wholeheartedly! Its ironic having this protest has I think saved lives that would have been lost if the Songcran festivities had been in full swing...123 injured and 2 dead pales in significances compared to the loses that road accidents cause.

I'am in the North and this has been the quietest Songcran I've seen and Ive been here for 7 years.

My suggestions would be for the banning of water thrown to and from cars /trucks and motor bikes..Streets should be closed off for 3 days and thats it...

Lets hope we can get on with life here with our families and Abisit is given a chance to get the economy going ..

Oh yes and I hope Mr. T is never able to get a good nights sleep ever again!

Army told that they will put checkpoints to check all the cars coming into Bangkok for weapons, if necessary.

They are out already. We just drove back into BKK on the motorway, and the soldiers were at the last toll plaza before Suvarnabhumi with M16s in hand. (But no magazines loaded in the weapons!) They were all over an LPG tank truck. Can just imagine the converation they were having with the driver.....

There has not been any announcement of new Holidays that I am aware of; and I seriously doubt there will be.

In any case banks would probably be exempt - as there were last Friday.

Just now it was an official announcement on Thai TV Cannel 3, and the TV Pool.

Bank of Thailand will give a special announcement regarding Banks and stock market.

State enterprizes, financial institutions can decide whether to apply holiday.

Not clear yet if Immigration Bureau will be open.