Question On Pre-paid Sim Card To Use With Com As Modem

tominbkk

A question for y'all!

I use AIS, have a monthly account with them (have had it now for several years) which I am happy with. Up til a couple weeks ago I used my Nokia N51 as my portable modem for my computer (works great as everyone knows).

I now have an iPhone which is wonderful but does not have the same ability to act as modem for my com (I think if you jailbreak it you can get some programs that allow it but I am not interested at all in jailbreaking my iPhone, at least not for the time being).

So what I want to do is buy a prepaid sim for my Nokia with data download option via edge, which I can use pretty much just for that when I need it. Then I can just thow my tiny Nokia in my com bag and if the need arises there it is.

So, if I go to the shopping mall or 7-11, can I buy a prepaid sim card that I can plug right into my phone, activate, and use? Will it give me a phone number automaticially? I should know this but like I said I've never used the prepaid cards before.

What exactly would I be asking for in a sim card? If you could give me names and option plans, off the top of your head, that would be great. I don't even know if they give you a number, or do I have to buy a number from somewhere?

Thanks for your help.

A question for y'all!

I use AIS, have a monthly account with them (have had it now for several years) which I am happy with. Up til a couple weeks ago I used my Nokia N51 as my portable modem for my computer (works great as everyone knows).

I now have an iPhone which is wonderful but does not have the same ability to act as modem for my com (I think if you jailbreak it you can get some programs that allow it but I am not interested at all in jailbreaking my iPhone, at least not for the time being).

So what I want to do is buy a prepaid sim for my Nokia with data download option via edge, which I can use pretty much just for that when I need it. Then I can just thow my tiny Nokia in my com bag and if the need arises there it is.

So, if I go to the shopping mall or 7-11, can I buy a prepaid sim card that I can plug right into my phone, activate, and use? Will it give me a phone number automaticially? I should know this but like I said I've never used the prepaid cards before.

What exactly would I be asking for in a sim card? If you could give me names and option plans, off the top of your head, that would be great. I don't even know if they give you a number, or do I have to buy a number from somewhere?

Thanks for your help.

Anyone?

AIS can be used on the EDGE network as I use one for my air card. Ring the help line andthey will give you the number or simply put you on the plan. I pay 100 baht a month for 30 hours of internet access. Not sure about Iphone though. I don't like the way they tie you to certain networks or software!

AIS can be used on the EDGE network as I use one for my air card. Ring the help line andthey will give you the number or simply put you on the plan. I pay 100 baht a month for 30 hours of internet access. Not sure about Iphone though. I don't like the way they tie you to certain networks or software!

You will need a 1-2-Call Internet Sim Card,The call centre no is 1175.........The no for internet packages is

*138,you will need to press 1 for english.

Just jailbreak the iphone. I used my iphone with PDAnet in thailand with 12call internet hours and it works great. May be a better plan with AIS though. No problems with the jailbroken iphone and I'm on the most up to date software.

Hi yes I know, I've use AIS now for my net via Nokia. I don't want to swap my card from myiphone to my nokia to use as a modem for my com. Thanks bit I think you misunderstood my question.

You will need a 1-2-Call Internet Sim Card,The call centre no is 1175.........The no for internet packages is

*138,you will need to press 1 for english.

Thanks, just the info I was looking for! I didn't realize they had Internet only sims, bit that makes total sense. Cheers!

Just jailbreak the iphone. I used my iphone with PDAnet in thailand with 12call internet hours and it works great. May be a better plan with AIS though. No problems with the jailbroken iphone and I'm on the most up to date software.

Thanks, but I'm concerned if I do that it will affect my warranty if anythin happens to it, and so far it is doing pretty much everything I need it to do except for acting as a modem for my com on the fairly rare instances when I need that. For now I don't mind keeping the Nokia nearby, it's light, and I feel a little guilty abandoning the little fella the way I did :o

Anyway, I'm sure sooner or later I will do some jailbreaking but not for now. Is there a lot more cool things that make it worth it to jailbreak?

Thanks, just the info I was looking for! I didn't realize they had Internet only sims, bit that makes total sense. Cheers!

They are not internet only SIMS. The GPRS/Edge function is always available but cost is steep unless you select one of the internet plans by dialing *138 and following instructions or call service center at 1175 and talk with live person to select an internet plan.

They are not internet only SIMS. The GPRS/Edge function is always available but cost is steep unless you select one of the internet plans by dialing *138 and following instructions or call service center at 1175 and talk with live person to select an internet plan.

Thanks everyone, a Thai friend helped me get my internet sim set up. and I got a new case for my iphone today....lovely looking!