'tsunami Song' An Abuse Of Radio Waves

TizMe

Hate, ignorance, people not thinking before they open their mouths. People's actions around us often remind us that there is plenty of reasons to believe these traits abound.

However, the good news today is that sometimes society's reaction does not let people get away with it.

The morning crew at radio station WQHT Hot 97 in New York City got word Wednesday that their program has been indefinitely suspended by parent company, Emmis Communications Corp. following the broadcast of a tsunami parody song.

The mere idea of something making light of a natural disaster that has devastated several Southeast Asian nations, leaving nearly 300,000 people dead or missing, is enough to make most people's stomachs churn.

But it gets all that much more unfathomably disgusting when you hear the lyrics.

Take the chorus of the "The Tsunami Song" for example: (to tune of "We are the World") "So now you're screwed/ it's the Tsunami/ you better run or kiss your ass away/ go find your mommy I just saw her float by/ a tree went through her head/ and now the children will be sold to child slavery."

I cannot imagine that a single educated person reading this article finds anything funny about these lyrics. Words simply fail to describe just how very unfunny and untactful this "parody" is.

Other parts of the song also included severely derogatory terms that are usually directed at Asians.

Morning personality Tarsha Nicole Jones, who uses the on-air name Miss Jones, issued an on-air apology soon after the song first aired on Jan. 21.

She said, "I apologize to all who have been offended by my poor decision to go along with playing that insulting (to say the least) tsunami song. I should have known better, and I didn't. So I'm sorry and hopefully we can move forward from this, or I can move forward from this being a better hostess, because I am better than that and I know better than that - and you deserve better radio than that."

But she will not be moving forward, at least as a host of Hot 97's morning show. She was right about one thing: we do deserve better radio, specifically radio that does not rely on racist or derogatory jokes or comments as a way to entertain or intrigue listeners.

Also, prior to the morning show's suspension, Hot 97 posted a statement on its Web site saying that the station has joined with broadcasters nationwide to raise money for victims an effort that "will result in a substantial cash donation."

Hoping that money could make everything right again in the world, the station said the morning team would also donate a week's salary to the relief effort.

In addition to Jones, the Hot 97 on-air morning team consists of DJ Envy, comedian Todd Lynn and Korean-American Miss Info, most noted for her resistance to the song's airing.

It was obvious to critics that the damage done by the decision to air such offensive material required more than an apology and some monetary donations to make up for it.

Newsday reported that the station received thousands of e-mails asking for Jones to be fired. Irate listeners seem to have gotten their wish, more or less.

According to CNN, Jones' publicist Lizzie Grubman declined to say whether Jones would appear on another Hot 97 show in the future.

Certainly, we have the freedom of speech in this country. But using the airwaves to promote hateful speech is unacceptable, and Emmis' decision has to be applauded.

It's difficult for me to even imagine what goes through people's head when they make decisions to broadcast such hateful expression.

Not to mention the fact that I am insulted that these people think I will find it funny or entertaining.

Though at the same time, seeing how clear it is that everyone is aware the song was nothing but insulting, I think the decision to air it was less about entertaining people and more about shaking things up a bit.

David Hinckley, a writer at the New York Daily News, in his discussion of Hot 97 on Tuesday posed the question about whether the decision to air the song was "miscalculation" on the part of the station or just "mission accomplished."

As he correctly noted, the whole job of those in entertainment, including radio, is to attract attention, which is often achieved through shock and keeping audiences wondering just how offensive they will be next.

The goal is just to get people talking about you, and, as my marketing teacher in high school always said, "Any PR is good PR."

Sure, the morning crew at Hot 97 is out of a job for now. But interest in the station and Jones has surely been magnified.

A note currently up on Hot 97's Web site clarifies that no company advertising on the station had any connection to the tsunami song or sponsored or endorsed it, the pressure on the station from advertisers and likely threats of taking their monetary support away might have had the most to with Emmis' decision, not solely public reaction.

So we will see over time what effect this has on material choices at radio stations and on Hot 97 and Jones specifically.

If we see Jones' return once the smoke clears, Hinckley might be right in that excessively offensive material might just be the perfect publicity stunt.

-

Jacqueline Deelstra's column "Thinking Outside the Box" runs Thursdays. To comment on this article, e-mail [email protected] or call (213)740-5665.

What makes you think the lyricists are trying to be funny?

I think their intent is to shock, not amuse.

...and presumably make a few bucks. You shouldn't make the mistake in thinking that good taste is omnipresent in New York, (or any other place for that matter).

It was an American show..

/edit racial slur.

/warning

:o

And there is a lot of crap on American airways, with this being one of the lowest. However, not all crap is American. We have a monopoly on some things, but bad taste is not one of them!

It was going to manifest from somewhere eventually mate, regardless of origin - just a matter of time. Disgusting? Yes. Suprising? Hardly, I'm afraid.

Publicity stunt? To find out, the mods/admins could do this simple test:

1. Create a topic under "General Topics" with a bit of a sensitive subject, like "Thaksin's Mistresses" or something.

2. Add a few replies from various users.

3. Wait a an hour or two, then count the number of reads for that thread since started.

4. Close the topic.

5. Wait again for the same period, then count again the number of reads.

6. Compare the difference between reads for when the topic was open against when it was closed.

Understand what I'm getting at?

...and presumably make a few bucks. You shouldn't make the mistake in thinking that good taste is omnipresent in New York, (or any other place for that matter).

I'm from New York, and when I was growing up, I listened to Hot 97. It is a radio station that is popular with African-Americans and latinos in New York, as well as the larger urban R & B, groove, hip-hop scene. However, as I remember it, Hot 97 is a radio station with a predominantly black and Puerto-Rican audience. I think Miss Jones herself is black.

To say that I'm disgusted by this news is an understatement. I just find out about this today and am going to send an email this weekend. There is no excuse for that kind of "shock" talk. I am of mixed-race descent and from black and latino neighborhoods in New York, and I am appalled by some of the anti-asian sentiment I hear about in my communities there. When I return, I already know the type of project I want to initiate in New York public schools to address this problem. It is most disturbing.

/edit racial slur.

/warning

Yeah, Kwiz, it was an American show. I see the mod had to edit your racial slur. How incredibly enlightened of you. You counter one slur with another, and then have the nerve to judge.

Do you think slurs, racial hatred, and violence do not occur in Asia (apart from your own, obviously)? Let me correct you, son: they don't get reported nor does anyone care in Asia. And that is because the religous and social framework of Asia does not uphold the value of equality in the first place. That is a western concept.

So yes, there are ugly incidents and behaviors in America and other western countries, and there is unfairness and inequality. But it is not denied, and secondly it is addressed as a problem, not someone else's problem.

I'm from New York, and when I was growing up, I listened to Hot 97. It is a radio station that is popular with African-Americans and latinos in New York, as well as the larger urban R & B, groove, hip-hop scene. However, as I remember it, Hot 97 is a radio station with a predominantly black and Puerto-Rican audience. I think Miss Jones herself is black.

To say that I'm disgusted by this news is an understatement. I just find out about this today and am going to send an email this weekend. There is no excuse for that kind of "shock" talk. I am of mixed-race descent and from black and latino neighborhoods in New York, and I am appalled by some of the anti-asian sentiment I hear about in my communities there. When I return, I already know the type of project I want to initiate in New York public schools to address this problem. It is most disturbing.

/edit racial slur.

/warning

Yeah, Kwiz, it was an American show. I see the mod had to edit your racial slur. How incredibly enlightened of you. You counter one slur with another, and then have the nerve to judge.

Do you think slurs, racial hatred, and violence do not occur in Asia (apart from your own, obviously)? Let me correct you, son: they don't get reported nor does anyone care in Asia. And that is because the religous and social framework of Asia does not uphold the value of equality in the first place. That is a western concept.

So yes, there are ugly incidents and behaviors in America and other western countries, and there is unfairness and inequality. But it is not denied, and secondly it is addressed as a problem, not someone else's problem.

Bad taste and I'm sure it cost the lad his job as it should!

Out of Office AutoReply: Kwiz

I'm currently on holiday untill the 12th of february. Please contact me later.

i will respond nicely

I love it...

When I return, I already know the type of project I want to initiate in New York public schools to address this problem. It is most disturbing.

If you return, remember the 500+ thing? :D

Can you elaborate here Kat? or would you have to kill me if you told me?

:D

I recall an American stand-up comic got nailed for saying that he didn't think piloting a plane into WTC was not the act of your average 'coward'.

I heard the ' Hannukah Song ' when I was in NY last month - but it was being sung by Adam Sandler - so that presumably made it okay. It was still as rubbishly unmusical as no doubt the Tsunami song is.

Ultimately the real scandal will not be 'Hot 97', Ogrish.com or anything as ephemeral as that. It'll be the non-delivery of pledged relief, embezzlement, sweetheart reconstruction contracts (Asian versions of Halliburton), & no introduction of warning procedures.

Out of Office AutoReply: Kwiz

I'm currently on holiday untill the 12th of february. Please contact me later.

i will respond nicely

I love it...

When I return, I already know the type of project I want to initiate in New York public schools to address this problem. It is most disturbing.

If you return, remember the 500+ thing? :D

Can you elaborate here Kat? or would you have to kill me if you told me?

:D 5555 I'm not that important. And my project is just a gleam in my eye, and no one else's at the moment :D

But when I was home last year, I heard of this horrible story of a Chinese delivery guy that was murdered by black kids for fun. Before anyone gets the wrong idea, I am also ethnically black (most of my adopted family and half of my blood line is from the Carribbean). That is why I find it even more disturbing and want to do something. There is no way I want to see young people in my community sink to this level.

My idea is very simple. Perhaps someone is already doing it. I thought of approaching some senators and non-profit orgs in the New York area to set up a program to go into public schools and frankly discuss differences and perceptions between black, latino, and asian kids. There's a lot to learn, and I think if more black kids knew what a lot of Asians endure around the world, they would be less alien and more identifiable to them. Many African-Americans don't encounter other Asians in a community setting, and in all fairness, are very often discriminated against by other Asians in America. So it all goes around and around.

But they need to understand, that the poor Chinese-food delivery kids are immigrants that are just trying to make it under harsh conditions,and in many ways very similar to these African-American kids' great grandfathers and mothers who first arrived in the Northeast as transplanted sharecroppers.

Yeah but American radio is <deleted>

TOTALLY agree.

I recall an American stand-up comic got nailed for saying that he didn't think piloting a plane into WTC was not the act of your average 'coward'.

I heard the ' Hannukah Song ' when I was in NY last month - but it was being sung by Adam Sandler - so that presumably made it okay. It was still as rubbishly unmusical as no doubt the Tsunami song is.

Ultimately the real scandal will not be 'Hot 97', Ogrish.com or anything as ephemeral as that. It'll be the non-delivery of pledged relief, embezzlement,  sweetheart reconstruction contracts (Asian versions of Halliburton), & no introduction of warning procedures.

Yes, Moog, but racism is a serious issue and should be addressed, whenever it occurs.

Hi TizMe,

Sorry to hear that there are people like that. :D

Hate, ignorance, people not thinking before they open their mouths. People's actions around us often remind us that there is plenty of reasons to believe these traits abound.

I have been trying to send the children survived the gift of music which is an educational and beatuiful :D since 3rd this month. I’ve just set up a yahoo group for it. :o

click Tsunami Surfers Project

Could you have a look at it, and tell me what do you think, please? :D

Kiji