Is Thai Education Really That Bad?

ernest1966

Most foreigners in Thailand are unable to grasp anything but the mere basics of the language - The point is - If they can't manage to do that, despite beng immersed in the language what are they doing criticising Thais.

The whole thread is derogatory and based upon ideas of what education ought to be of a particular brand/level/quality that I'm betting in truth is not met by the the vast majority of foreigners in Thailand.

But this is the internet, we can claim to be what we want to be - That the evidence on the ground suggests otherwise is no matter.

My own experience - Putting an engineering team together - I've seen very few expats that I would choose over a Thais.

It is unfortunate that the excellent point you have made will not be understood by many. The proverbial casting of pearls before swine. If one wishes to work in a local environment than the onus is upon that individual to be able to function in that environment. Language skills are therefore a necessity or else failure most likely will result. The vast majority of Thais do not need knowledge of a second language in order to prosper in Thailand. This holds true for other countries. Italians don't need English or German to do well in Italy etc. Why are the Thais held to a different standard than Europeans?

Can't be said any better.

Bravo to both of you! :o

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Thai Education Really That Bad... Relative to what? Start with class size.... in an English Class.. do tell me on the university level... 101 classes start with a 250 -350 class.....This is appropriate and approved by MOE... Awhh... so much for project based learning.. The adm folks have their own agenda..follow the money..

I was preparing the top students at my school (M3 level, 14 year olds) for a general knowledge quiz, and asked them, "What is the name of the star that is closest to the earth?" None of them could answer. (It's the sun, obviously). The only things the Thai children are taught is Thai language, culture and history, and some math. For the most part, in all other school subjects, they complete their education at a primary school level by western standards.

If, perchance, you would not mind indulging the curiosity of an elderly and pedantic farang with strong concerns relating to the standard of basic education in Thailand, could you answer for me the following questions:

1. Was your session with your students conducted in the English language or in Thai?

2. If I were to ask you to name for me the planet nearest to the earth, what would be your response?

3. If one of your students had given you the answer "Proxima Centauri" would you classify him or her as having given a good or a bad response?

4. Purely as a guess, if you had put the same question (in the English language) to a bunch of average pupils of the same age in an average London comprehensive school, what level of "correct" responses would you expect?

5. Was the context of your session such that your students were expecting trick questions?

Kitch22, how long have you been in Thailand and how much interaction have you had with young people here? My guess would be not very much because most Thai students and graduates of government schools don't even know what countries border Thailand and probably wouldn't be able to find Thailand on a globe. To think that any of them ever heard of "Proxima Centauri" at school is absurd. I suggest you get out and do a little interacting with the local populace and you will see for yourself.

Though I am not a Thai resident I have spent a total of a little over 4 years in the Kingdom and speak read and write the Thai language to a standard which my (peasant and non-English-speaking) family and neighbours find adequate (according to what they say to my face).

There are in particular two Thai children (aged 5 and 14 respectively) with whom I speak frequently concerning their experiences at school. The 5 year-old is in a private nursery and her English is coming along pretty well, all things considered, with some help from me (in her written homework and pronunciation). The elder of the girls is bright but her English is poor and she knows it and would like to do something about it. I am presently mulling over what I should do to assist.

I am of the opinion that in my village nobody (other than perhaps the Doctor, the Headmaster and myself) would recognise the phrase "Proxima Centauri". I doubt that 10% of the population of UK would do so either.

It is clear that you have not the faintest comprehension of my purpose in raising those 5 numbered questions.

And the word is "Kitsch"

When I have watched how young people especially in China or even in neighbouring Vietnam,

Cambodia and even Laos approach their studies -these young students in other countries

seem to have a genuine appetite and an energy to learn as much as possible.

I don't think you don't see this characteristic in Thai students very often.

They will do just as much work as they need to get by.

I have seen some who will quite willingly allow an older

person to undertake an entire homework assignment on their behalf

and seemingly without showing any interest as long as they can meet

their obligation to hand something in by the due date. With this attitude, the outlook

does not look promising in this fiercely competitive world

There is little incentive to learn here when its who you know or what family you belong to (social status) that has more of a bearing on your life/prosperity.

I was preparing the top students at my school (M3 level, 14 year olds) for a general knowledge quiz, and asked them, "What is the name of the star that is closest to the earth?" None of them could answer. (It's the sun, obviously). The only things the Thai children are taught is Thai language, culture and history, and some math. For the most part, in all other school subjects, they complete their education at a primary school level by western standards.

If, perchance, you would not mind indulging the curiosity of an elderly and pedantic farang with strong concerns relating to the standard of basic education in Thailand, could you answer for me the following questions:

1. Was your session with your students conducted in the English language or in Thai

These were EP students and the session was conducted in English. The students speak and understand English very well. All of them will end up in top universities. They completely understood the question, but could not connect that the sun was a star. I told their science teacher this (the students had just completed their studies in astronomy) and he tore his hair out.

2. If I were to ask you to name for me the planet nearest to the earth, what would be your response?

Venus (I took a university astronomy course). I wouldn't ask students that question, as this is a general knowledge test for 14 year olds, but I did ask them the 5th planet out from the sun, which most of them knew.

3. If one of your students had given you the answer "Proxima Centauri" would you classify him or her as having given a good or a bad response?

In fact, one of the students answered "Alpha Centauri" and I gave my "c'mon, you know better" gesture.

4. Purely as a guess, if you had put the same question (in the English language) to a bunch of average pupils of the same age in an average London comprehensive school, what level of "correct" responses would you expect?

I don't know because I didn't grow up in London, although my parents have lived nearby for the past 10 years. As for students in the U.S., they know that the sun is a star by about the 4th grade (age 9).

5. Was the context of your session such that your students were expecting trick questions?

They were answering general knowledge questions, not trick questions, and I announced to the class the type of questions I would be asking. Other types of questions they couldn't answer:

Name the 3 axis powers in WWII? What is the largest country by land mass? Where is the world's tallest building located?

BTW - these students won the quizbee competition for which I was preparing them. The question they missed was "Where is the Statue of Liberty located?" :(

Thank you very much indeed for your comprehensive and informative answers.

My main question (in terms of personal interest) was no. 1 in relation to which I have the impression that there may be an element of linguistic misunderstanding (notwithstanding that your class was held in English). I am not sure (and cannot tell from my dictionaries) whether the Thai daow or duang dow ("star") technically includes pra arthit ("the Sun"). Do you know enough Thai to answer that question? (No criticism implied if your answer is negative). I take my hat off to your Thai student who answered "Alpha Centauri" even though you consider that he was wrong.

So far as question no.2 is concerned, I see two issues. Firstly, what would you say to someone who answered "The Moon, obviously"? Secondly, what would you say to someone who answered "I cannot answer that question unless first you tell me the date"? Again it is impressive that your students were able to name the fifth planet. Your bunch really must have been the cream of the crop. I would be extremely surprised if one were to achieve a 10% success rate in a cohort of average children in the UK in the same age group.

No. 3. I am amused to see that your remark tends to suggest that at least one other contributor to this thread does not know what he is talking about.

No 4. As mentioned above, this may well be a language issue. A few hours ago I attempted to engage in conversation on this particular subject with my 14-year-old (Thai) niece (who definitely does not consider the Sun to be a star in her native language) but was rapidly brought to my knees by the realisation that my Thai vocabulary does not extend sufficiently to translate "gravity constrained hydrogen fusion plasma"

No. 5. But it seems to me that the student who answered "Alpha Centauri" (and who obviously had knowledge more than sufficient to have given your correct answer) probably did regard it as a trick question and my suspicion is that thinking in his own mother tongue he might be right in that perception.

It seems to me that the establishment at which you teach must be pretty high flying. Are you able and willing to give an indication as to the level of fees there for a 14-year-old per annum?

If this thread is about 'Thai education,' then it can be in general. If it is about foreign teachers in Thailand, it should be moved to the Teacher's Subforum. Since we are seeing some interesting discussion about 'Thai education,' I will leave that and delete inflammatory posts regarding foreign teachers, which would earn warnings in the Teacher's Subforum and will henceforth earn warnings (for off-topic flaming) on this thread.

Thats a fact! No matter where you go in Thailand, the shopkeeper has his/her calculator and must use it for the most simple sums.

Above all else this is just to eliminate mistakes, they are individually accountable for any accounting deficits, wouldn't you be careful under such strictures?

Moss

Thats a fact! No matter where you go in Thailand, the shopkeeper has his/her calculator and must use it for the most simple sums.

Above all else this is just to eliminate mistakes, they are individually accountable for any accounting deficits, wouldn't you be careful under such strictures?

Moss

agree

and if we have the technology,....why not use it?......it's called the advancement in civilization

Just like....some prefer the electric rice cooker over the traditional method

or .....some prefer using the Turbo Tax... over the std hard copy form ...for simple tax calculation :o

Edited by teacup

If Thais are taught by rote. how come they can't add up, multiply, subtract or divide in their head?

I haven't seen a shop assistant who can do the simplest addition without a Casio.

They're amazed that I can give them an answer before they have finished with their calculator. :D

And you are right every time of course :D

[

And tell us Allan - what inventions have you come up with?

Guesthouse. We are not Thai bashing,

ps As for my inventions none, more of a modification, her name is 'SuperSonic' she will be sorely missed :o:D

Of course this is not a Thai bashing thread and as for inventions, that would be a no then :D

Good Luck

Moss

Edited by Mossfinn

Zap,

I wonder how many Brit 14 year olds would get that right, or by a straw poll in General or Visa's for that matter and I am not joking for a minute.

I am lying down while I type this as I feel faint. Why? Because for the very first time I am in complete agreement with something Guesthouse wrote. Excellent comment Guesthouse. Now, where is that Vick's inhaler?

:o

Please pass it on to me Qual', myself and GH rarely see eye to eye on here, but on this , I am side by side.

Good Luck

Moss

One only need read posts here on TV to understand that either the Western Education System is not what it is cracked up to be - or that ThaiVisa attracts a disproportionate number of people who never paid attention when they were in the Western Education System. Look around you .... we are awash with brain surgeons... NOT!

You jest surely, I thought we had the leading Barons of Western business ideology amongst the mere mortals of everyday posting, please pass me another Single Malt, to bring me back to reality.

Moss

I wish I could jest on this, but it's not warranted.

Here's an observation on the perceived idea of 'Education'.

I'm betting (one of those bets that can't be proved, but let the reader ask the question of them selves) that the older members posting here went to schools that taught them the three R's and then added onto that 'Craft Studies' - Woodwork, Metal Work, Design and Technology (probably restricted to the boys) while the girls learned Shorthand, Typing and of course Cooking and Needlework.

History and Geography will have been taught as facts to be remembered. (The very much older members will absolutely have been taught by rote)

Younger members might have had some of these craft studies but it is more likely that these were replaced by IT studies, learning how to use computers and various methods of using software packages - perhaps some software languages and maybe some electronics. Boys and girls no longer segregated.

History and geography are likely to have changed to more social and environmental focussed studies.

The point is, while you may regard your 'Western Education' as superior - it is in truth not much about education and a great deal about training people for the needs of industry and commerce. Very little free thinking and a great deal of 'we need factory workers - let's teach 'em the skills they need for a factory' - we need IT workers, let's teach them the skills they need to use a computer.

Most people in the western education system have been 'schooled' not educated - add the garbage of school league tables to this and it becomes little more than turning out a standardized product as close as possible to the specification.

Don't believe me - take a look at the curriculum of the very best Public (Private) schools - No lessons in turning out factory/commerce fodder - a great deal of emphasis on independent thought and absolutely no government testing for league tables.

---

Now there is another lesson to be learned here: We've had in the past old western guys complaining about the educational standards of young western people - [Griping voice going on about how young people these days don't know their 29 times table... or some such complaint.]

The point they miss is, the specification has changed - The 29 times table is no longer the required product. IT Skills are.

They old guy and the young guy have simply had different schooling.

Western or Thai education - almost all of it has nothing to do with 'Education'. And in that respect I don't see that the Thai education system is in anyway inferior to that of the west (Certainly the UK).

Donkey's years ago, I taught a group of Thai teachers of English at an MoE seminar over the course of a week. Atrocious, pathetic, terrible, appalling, sub-standard, laughable and depressing are the immediate words that spring to mind of their ability to even ededutter a choerent, simple sentence.

Lovely people, but totally uneducated in English teaching. Thailand will always be a sub-standard backwater in terms of language proficiency.

t

My G/F is an accountant and graduated from a BKK Uni... She speaks English well and has travelled to several countries.. Even so she was still astounded to discover that whales weren't fish and that the tides were affected by the Moon... I won't go into basic Geography or History as her grasp of those subjects is still terrible... I know that education has changed a lot in the West since I left school and less emphasis is placed on 'general knowledge', World events and History but I'm still amazed by just how little of what goes on in the World Thais understand. The just don't seem to have much interest either.. My GF is keen to ask questions but there doesn't seem to be any 'thirst' for knowledge.. Guess it just isn't important to them.

ugh!! the sun is not a star. maybe your students saw your gaff but did not want to show you up.

are you an ameican teacher here in thailand?

I'm betting (one of those bets that can't be proved, but let the reader ask the question of them selves) that the older members posting here went to schools that taught them the three R's and then added onto that 'Craft Studies' - Woodwork, Metal Work, Design and Technology (probably restricted to the boys) while the girls learned Shorthand, Typing and of course Cooking and Needlework.

History and Geography will have been taught as facts to be remembered. (The very much older members will absolutely have been taught by rote)

Younger members might have had some of these craft studies but it is more likely that these were replaced by IT studies, learning how to use computers and various methods of using software packages - perhaps some software languages and maybe some electronics. Boys and girls no longer segregated.

History and geography are likely to have changed to more social and environmental focussed studies.

The point is, while you may regard your 'Western Education' as superior - it is in truth not much about education and a great deal about training people for the needs of industry and commerce. Very little free thinking and a great deal of 'we need factory workers - let's teach 'em the skills they need for a factory' - we need IT workers, let's teach them the skills they need to use a computer.

Most people in the western education system have been 'schooled' not educated - add the garbage of school league tables to this and it becomes little more than turning out a standardized product as close as possible to the specification.

Don't believe me - take a look at the curriculum of the very best Public (Private) schools - No lessons in turning out factory/commerce fodder - a great deal of emphasis on independent thought and absolutely no government testing for league tables.

---

Now there is another lesson to be learned here: We've had in the past old western guys complaining about the educational standards of young western people - [Griping voice going on about how young people these days don't know their 29 times table... or some such complaint.]

The point they miss is, the specification has changed - The 29 times table is no longer the required product. IT Skills are.

Western or Thai education - almost all of it has nothing to do with 'Education'. And in that respect I don't see that the Thai education system is in anyway inferior to that of the west (Certainly the UK).

may not agree with all your posts but you are spot on with this one.

i just watched an american on a quiz show who was unaware that Bavaria was in Germany and the that the official language of Australia was English. Poor education is not exclusively Thai.

The grammar in this thread, and indeed this site as a whole, does not do many of our own educational systems much credit.

I partly agree. You are correct about the English standards here. But it is only a forum and if the poster gets his point across, and others understand, then I believe that is more imporatnt than the spelling or grammar.

When talking about a subject such as teaching then you are certainly right, English standards should be higher. Teachers with good English skills would have no problem with that. Other posters have commented on the English skills of some farang teachers. No point my commenting again.

Snipped to save space:

"Rote learning has an important role. The USMC has the lowest recruiting standards of any of the US military branches. Recruits with below normal intelligence levels are accepted. Yet, the USMC has the ability to turn these recruits into disciplined functional marines."

That is a good point (not sure who said it). Rote learning is important. Example: When I fly, I want a skilled pilot at the controls. And that pilot must revert to "rot learning" in an emergency........step 1, step 2, step 3, etc.

BUT, if his "rot learned procedures" fail, he must resort to creative thinking......sometimes totally innovative thinking to survive.

There is ample evidence of this......and if you are in the military you no doubt know that sometimes you have to think on your feet to survive an event that is not part of the game plan.

The mistake, I think, is focusing on one form of education (e.g., rot learning/non-questioning) to the exclusion other forms (e.g., creative thinking/questioning).

Ernest......... Scarey, innit? :o

I have a Q too.

Mental arithmetic

If Thais are taught by rote. how come they can't add up, multiply, subtract or divide in their head?

I haven't seen a shop assistant who can do the simplest addition without a Casio.

They're amazed that I can give them an answer before they have finished with their calculator. :D

I bought a Powerade and a pack of chewing gum at 7-11 and the girl had to use a calculator to add 18 and 5 baht.

My wife has a degree and works as a manager for an Aussie company but cannot do even the most basic maths without a calculator.

I wouldn’t say that the thai education is in anyway- “inferior”, however it’s “less/lack of challenging”

A good education should be giving you more skills in reasoning and judgment in solving relevant problems in the future, and generally preparing oneself “intellectually” for mature life.

It is mainly the critical thinking skills, that is what I have found lacking most /or less of ...in the thai teaching system, seriously-

--comparing to the western education - generally speaking of course here

Just me

ugh!! the sun is not a star. maybe your students saw your gaff but did not want to show you up.

are you an ameican teacher here in thailand?

You bore me. It looks like you belong back in Grade 3.

The Sun is a as a G2V type star, a yellow dwarf and a main sequence star.
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/...startypes.shtml Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

ummm... caf, the sun is a star. How could you make that comment? Please tell us what other celestial body it was. Thanks. I hope you did not think it was a gaseous cloud held together by pixie dust. :o

As far as shop clerks using calculators... my only comparison is that previously in Japan most of the train platform kiosks were not computerized and I rarely if ever saw any of the old ladies (typical staff) using a calculator to add up the goods or to give the proper change. Also remember that most customers seem to buy 3 items or less and that the ladies had to be quick and accurate as people had trains to catch.

Any staff working in a small shop, after a reasonable period of time, should be able to mentally add 2 or 3 goods and give the proper change without a calculator. I think it is more of a sign of laziness than anything else.

A topic particularly close to my heart. My eldest son is now 5 and goes to our local private school, which is believed to be the best in town. My impressions from his first couple of years is that the school is very good for younger children and gives them a general sense of "learning" and "education".

However, I have two daughters aged 14 and 18 and the education they receive at the same school is nothing short of shocking! No history, no geography, no biology etc. etc.

It is my firm belief that Thai schools are set up just to turn Thai children into Thai adults..!! As long as they are teaching acceptable levels of Thai traditions, customs and general behaviour then all is OK.

If you want to find a decent education here then you need to look at a certain level of private tutoring and then college / university.

For example, my eldest girl is studying tourism and has been for 4 years now. The biggest project for her last term was to create a breakfast that would acceptable to Thai tourists, not foreigners. Put a map of Thailand in front of her and ask her where to find Samui, Phuket, Chiang Mai etc. and she's completely lost. Shocking!

I firmly believe that her class is just being used as slave labour in hotel restaurants during school holidays and when they go out into the "real world" they are no longer the responsibility of the school.

Luckily, I work within the tourism industry myself and have many contacts who can help with on-the-job training once she leaves school, but I'm one of the lucky ones to be able to do this.

As always there is two ways to do things here: the Thai way, or the wrong way!!!

Example, go to a Thai restaurant anywhere in the world and your meal will be created by a Thai chef. Same with Indian, Chinese etc. etc.

Go to a French, Chinese, Italian, European retaurant here in Thailand, who is making your food..??

T.I.T

---

There are many reasons that the Thai education is seen as inferior to the Western education system.

• Severe lack of funding
  • Schools are run as a business rather than an institution of education
  • Corruption
  • Non standardized tests
  • Out dated curriculums

These are just some of them. I've taught here now for a number of years, and it's frustrating. The students want to learn, but are let down again and again by the government and administrations.

The original point about the level of English taught by Thai teachers is a fair comment. The level of English taught by these teachers is simply not good enough. The reason for this, again, is lack of funding. Older experienced teachers are moved on, and less experienced teachers are brought in on miniscule wages. Some of the government approved text books are shocking, and more and more students are packed into the classroom, 55 or 60 is not unusual. The students are taught parrot fashion, the teaching in the Thai school system is almost completely teacher centered learning as opposed to student centered learning in the West.

I know the schooling system in the West, and certainly UK, is far from perfect - but to believe that Thai students are afforded the same level of education as Western students - that's sadly not the case.

I wouldn't say that the thai education is in anyway- "inferior", however it's "less/lack of challenging"

A good education should be giving you more skills in reasoning and judgment in solving relevant problems in the future, and generally preparing oneself "intellectually" for mature life.

It is mainly the critical thinking skills, that is what I have found lacking most /or less of ...in the thai teaching system, seriously-

--comparing to the western education - generally speaking of course here

Just me

That's an excellent point. A side product of the almost absolute reliance within the Thai education environment for teacher centred learning methodologies.

A topic particularly close to my heart. My eldest son is now 5 and goes to our local private school, which is believed to be the best in town. My impressions from his first couple of years is that the school is very good for younger children and gives them a general sense of "learning" and "education".

However, I have two daughters aged 14 and 18 and the education they receive at the same school is nothing short of shocking! No history, no geography, no biology etc. etc.

It is my firm belief that Thai schools are set up just to turn Thai children into Thai adults..!! As long as they are teaching acceptable levels of Thai traditions, customs and general behaviour then all is OK.

If you want to find a decent education here then you need to look at a certain level of private tutoring and then college / university.

For example, my eldest girl is studying tourism and has been for 4 years now. The biggest project for her last term was to create a breakfast that would acceptable to Thai tourists, not foreigners. Put a map of Thailand in front of her and ask her where to find Samui, Phuket, Chiang Mai etc. and she's completely lost. Shocking!

I firmly believe that her class is just being used as slave labour in hotel restaurants during school holidays and when they go out into the "real world" they are no longer the responsibility of the school.

Luckily, I work within the tourism industry myself and have many contacts who can help with on-the-job training once she leaves school, but I'm one of the lucky ones to be able to do this.

As always there is two ways to do things here: the Thai way, or the wrong way!!!

Example, go to a Thai restaurant anywhere in the world and your meal will be created by a Thai chef. Same with Indian, Chinese etc. etc.

Go to a French, Chinese, Italian, European retaurant here in Thailand, who is making your food..??

T.I.T

This is an interesting topic. my wife has a degree in "marketing" but when w e started our business she hadnt a clue how to find customers, where would be the best places to advertise, how we should present the business, what services we could offer that others in this field didnt etc etc. I did the lot she simply hasn't a clue. Great once I had dont it first then she knewhow but unable to think anything new up herself.

This is an interesting topic. my wife has a degree in "marketing" but when w e started our business she hadnt a clue how to find customers, where would be the best places to advertise, how we should present the business, what services we could offer that others in this field didnt etc etc. I did the lot she simply hasn't a clue. Great once I had dont it first then she knewhow but unable to think anything new up herself.

Well exactly what kind of subjects do they study to earn a degree in marketing? This is baffling :o

Edited by midas

Well exactly what kind of subjects do they study to earn a degree in marketing? This is baffling :o

Midas I wish I knew???????????

Maybe its about going to "markets" now she's an expert there alright!!

Edited by yabaaaa